“Amazing part of the world, best seen from Amangani!”
Review of Amangani

Amangani
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Only 40 rooms at Amangani, the only US resort in the Asian based chain. Impeccable service, flexible dining of excellent menus and overall an ambiance that must be hard to match anywhere. The views from all over the hotel, including the rooms are simply breathtaking and Jackson Hole, the ski areas and the NAtional PArks are all very close by. It's by design not cheap but for the quality of everything on offer, it's great value!

Room Tip: all rooms have amazing views and are in the main building
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here in mid-July for 5 nights as part of our summer vacation. Usually we travel with our teenagers, but their schedules this summer left us alone for a week of vacation time. I write that because I don't think I would have stayed here with our children because it is quiet and we saw mostly adults, plus we would have needed 2 rooms and this place is expensive. It has the most beautiful views in the entire Jackson Hole area. That said, it is postivie and a negative because you need transportation to go anywhere away from the lodge.
First, this is a lodge more than a luxury resort. It is intimate with only 40 suites. It has one dining room used for all meals, but the staff is great about making you feel "at home" and will bring you any food or drink wherever you would like it, possibly in the lounge or library, outside or your room.
The rooms are spacious and have a great dressing area where you can uppack, keep your bags and plenty of drawer space. The rooms are also immaculate. Each time I caught housleeping cleaning, there were at least two people so they get in and out. Suites have large terraces overlooking the rockies and Grand Tetons. This just helps to melt any stress away.
When you arrive someone from the staff shows you around the entire property and introduces you to the staff. They bring you to your suite and show you how everything works and go over any itineray you have booked thru the hotel.
The food is very good with lots of Wyoming game on the menu but the kitchen will feed you anything you want at anytime you want and it was made very clear to us that they will make us dinner whenever we get back to the lodge from being out all day. In this way, they make your stay very personal. One night I had them make me a salad with grilled chicken. How much buffalo and elk can one eat!! They also have chicken, fish and pork entries and a lounge menu. The staff really tries to make this visit memorable with personal touches such as noting that my husband liked the brownies packed for us with a picnic lunch and the chef made us more that were delivered to our room.
This lodge is situated on top of a bluff and shares that area with Spring Creek Ranch. The views are fantasic. The downside of this, is that if you want to go into Jackson, you must either have a car or use their service (they maintain a few X6's for airport transfers, transportation and trips to the National Parks. They will take you to town, but it is $35 each way, making any dinner, run to Albertson's, that much more expensive. We did rent a car for the first two days, that way you are on your own time and not waiting for a driver to pick you up.
This is a very special place, they will make you feel special and the scenery is gorgeous.

Room Tip: South side of the property has a bit of a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Amangani is where the beauty of nature meets the best in customer service. Yes, you pay a premium to stay at this hotel, but if you've never had an experience like this, I can almost guarantee that you won't regret it. From the moment they picked my husband and me from the airport to the moment we left, they never let us pick up our own suit cases, carry our skis or our boots. Everyone knew us by name, took the time to politely chat with us, and did everything they could to make our stay more comfortable.
And the food ... oh the food was amazing. Do not pass up the opportunity to eat both breakfast and dinner (including dessert!) while you are there.

Room Tip: If you are skiing, book in the spring or summer for the following winter. It might save you some mo...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MLSTacoma
Reviewed 2 July 2011

The Amangani is a truly perfect resort in every way. To set the stage, my wife and I travel often and we stay in top rated hotels and resorts around the world. We are quite particular about accommodations, food and service. Upon arrival you are greeted by staff and management in a way that makes you feel like you have just arrived at your own estate. You are quickly ushered to a lovely well appointed room with views that seem surreal. Stress just melts away as you begin to realize this will be an outstanding experience. The food, spa, pool, lounges -- everything exceeds expectations. But I must say again, as much as this resort offers in beauty and comfort, the staff is more than one would expect. They are all knowledgeable, friendly, and go out of their way to make you feel like you are the only person at the Amangani. I promise, you will not be disappointed with this place!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Erik_and_Stephanie
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We just returned from a perfect girls weekend at Amangani. The views from the Amangani are truly breathtaking. The property has a zen mountain feel to it. The hotel was spotless and well maintained but had a bit of a worn feel to it. I found it rugged and charming but some might prefer a newer property for the high priced rooms.

The service was perfect--there always seemed to be a handful of friendly employees to help with whatever you should need. They always know who you are and address you by name. They offer BMW X5 shuttle service to wherever you need to go ($35 each way).

We enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the hotel. The menu was varied and interesting. We had massages/facials at the hotel which were excellent. The spa has a nice locker room with a perfectly heated steam room. We booked a private yoga class through the spa and the instructor was good but not great. We spent our late afternoons swimming and soaking in the gorgeous infinity pool/jacuzzi overlooking the valley.

The highlight of the trip was our hiking trip with Hole Hiking Experience on Shadow Mountain. We did an 8 mile loop with a naturalist guide and even spotted a Bison on the trail (fortunately for us, he ran off when he heard our voices). Eating lunch at the top with a view of the Tetons was a perfect way to enjoy the day with old friends.

The Amanagani is expensive but well worth it for Aman junkies like myself. We will definitely return soon.

Room Tip: Suite 35 has amazing views.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank nmieke
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This property will impress those that expect more than the usual. The surroundings are gorgeous and serene, the property itself is done beautifully, the food is truly outstanding (even the mundane items like french toast and oatmeal at breakfast are raised to a higher level), the spa treatments of high quality, and the staff is probably among the "coolest" I've ever met and it was really stimulating to get into conversations with the various people at the hotel who also represent a wide geographic constituency. Your concierge might have been riding a bronco at the local rodeo the previous night, for all you know. This was my first "Aman" hotel group experience and it probably won't be my last. You get a high level of service and attention here and the whole package is actually rather inspiring. I was expecting more offbeat Asian kinda weird, but it was actually very mainstream and very well calibrated throughout the property and in the room itself. The fact that I felt treated very individually might have been helped by the fact that the hotel was minimally occupied during the time I was there but I think that with only 40 rooms you'd be treated well no matter what. The Grand Teton Suite is gorgeous and you really want to be facing the mountain range if you are going all the way to be at this property; most rooms don't face the Teton mountain range. The Sena suite has the same view but instead of a terrace you are at ground level and it is a better space for a family with up to 2 kids since the hotel doesn't have connecting rooms and the Grand Teton Suite is not really amenable to a rollaway. The bathrooms are pretty standard across all the rooms (I saw about 5 of them). Massages are easy to book; the other treatments more likely need 24 hours advance notice otherwise I found that they have trouble getting people booked to provide them. I also was initially put off at the $35 charge to get into town cited by other reviewers but actually it's not outrageous given that town is close to a 15 minute drive away and the person who takes you one way still has to go back empty. Taxis were not that much less and in town it's not easy to get one and at least you can walk up to the door and have somebody take you into town or call up from town in the rain and have somebody come and get you (at least when I was there in a not so full hotel). They have nice cars and the people driving you are quite interesting to talk to; the guests in the hotel tend to be interesting people too. The jacuzzi and pool are beautiful. The gym was small but adequate; most people come here to be sporty outdoors. There are PC's you can use but I found the internet service rather slow. The safari tour led by a member of the hotel staff was excellent. I found the Four Seasons by the skiing village to be dark and ordinary, and I had to wait 25 minutes for a taxi to leave the hotel. Unless you wanted to be right by the lifts, I can't imagine why you wouldn't stay at this place if you had to choose between the two properties. I was told by other guests that you could do Yellowstone in a day but I personally would want to stay there overnight if I were driving 60 miles each way just to reach the park's entrance. I found plenty of things to like about the surrounding area with its Teton Park without feeling I needed to go to Yellowstone. Jackson Wyoming is a bit like a Northern Exposure episode -- too many too intelligent people stuck in the middle of nowhere mainly because they came by during their college years and fell in love with the place. Your safari guide might have a dual degree in molecular biology and theater. Not an easy place to get to, but actually not so bad either. Within 25 minutes of an airport that can be reached nonstop from Chicago, Denver and Salt Lake City hubs. Two criticisms of this place: 1. In my suite, the hot water tap had to run close to 5 minutes throughout my stay for the water to get hot for bath or shower. I mentioned it but I guess they couldn't fix it. 2. I was given a bottle of wine upon arrival presumably as a gift of the hotel. I mentioned twice at different times that I don't drink. They didn't take it back. Finally, the next day I brought it back. They never replaced it with something else during the remainder of my 3 night stay. Other high-end properties generally replace it with something else such as a plate of chocolate covered strawberries or a pitcher of freshly squeezed juice. For a property that stresses the "individual" over the "customer", I felt they didn't meet their own standard on this type of thing. So those two points keep this kind of place from getting a perfect score but aside from those things you can pretty much gather that this place gets a 95 out of 100. I came here on the strength of 2 hummingbirds from Andrew Harper's Collection on a last minute whim when my trip to beautiful places in France and Italy that week suddenly got canceled due to Air France screwing up my flight reservations and not being to put things back into place -- I did not come away disappointed in the least. I must say that this trip to Wyoming made me rethink my tendency to default to Europe -- the food here was certainly as good as anything I would have had in the hotels over there and the setting was truly beautiful. America has some really great places to visit; Wyoming is one of them. I took a gamble on a total unknown and came away willing to come back again.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank 649ic
Reviewed 25 June 2011

This resort was an amazing getaway for a couples family get away. We decided at the last minute to take a week away from the TX heat and chose wisely! We actually got into some pretty cold WY weather, though. The resort was so beautiful, tucked up in the hills outside of Jackson Hole. Because of its size, the staff knew us by name and in the 5 days, never forgot who we were. We took advantage of the 24-hour access to the pool, hot tub, and the fitness room, all of which were spotless (not sure when they made sure towels and drinking water were restocked!) The restaurant was very good, but we did take the opportunity to go into JH to try other places as sometimes top-resort food can get old and pricey. Overall, though, great place - great beds, great view, great staff!

Room Tip: Second floor may be best for view of valley.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kalitaylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
The Wort Hotel
#10 of 40 in Jackson
Huff House Inn and Cabins
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!