“great place to disappear”
Review of Amangani

Amangani
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You would never know this beautiful resort was at full capacity. We have been hanging out in the "Game Room" and very rarely see other guests. The rooms all seem to have an amazing view, the pool and hot tub are overlooking the bluff as well. My only ding is the food. I know the prices are high, but if the food is great it doesn't really bother me. I had the watermelon salad and lobster for dinner. The watermelon was not ripe...it was crunchy and sour. The lobster was mushy and not hot. Sorry but when my entree is almost $50.00 I kind if expect high quality. It just did not seem to match the hotel. So I guess stay here but don't eat here.....

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be GREAT
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon arrival, the view takes your breath away. There are literally 6 or 7 "greeters" standing in reception to welcome you, which bodes well. But I'm afraid it's all downhill from there. The architecture is so stunning that it blinds you to all that lies ahead. On our 'tour', we passed a lovely lobby bar. When asked what the hours were, we were told that the bartender was a 'floater' and didn't have regular hours. He might be outside, he might be helping in the kitchen, etc. In five days, I NEVER saw a bartender on duty. Leading me to believe he perhaps floated off into to space, never to be seen again. I finally asked one of the many 'managers' what the deal was. "Oh, that's only a 'show bar', he said. A bar for show? How about a bar for drinking? Once in the room, or the "oven" as we came to call it, no one showed us how to work the many hidden light switches, the power strip literally nailed to a wall, or the AC. That's because the hotel was built without AC as no one anticipated what would happen when you built a brick structure on the side of a hill where it caught the blazing sun all day long. The engineer, who apparently had jerry rigged some kind of cooling system years ago, said you "Can't control it. You have to leave the fan on high (think reverse thrusters on a 747) all day and keep the shades down. The shades down? There goes the view! The food...well, I won't even go there. Too depressing. A much-vaunted $80 ribeye looked like it had come out of a plastic bag at COSTCO.After one too many meals, we started going across the parking lot to the Granary. Not a great restaurant by any stretch but at least an escape. The Spa? Despite glam pics on the site, there is none. You can get a massage in a dark and dingy cell. Thought I'd blundered into the sauna by mistake. Can you make it any cooler in here? Quoth an un-named employee, "No. There is no AC down here. Whoever designed this spa had never set foot in one before." Oh. Highlights were few: the valet guys. A nice lady in gift shoppe. A lovely woman who helped us check out and the clerk whose job it was seemed to have no idea how the process worked. But the valets? They turn out to be the stars of this show. They smile, they do their job. And that's the thing about the staff. No one is happy, no one seems to care. Having run a major corporation, I know it all flows down from the top. I asked to speak to the General Manager a few times. Never in. Ever. When I asked another employee why, here's the answer I got. "He only comes in when he needs his complimentary BMW gassed up or washed." And therein lies the rub. As I suspected all along, no one is minding the store. My 1st and last Aman property. Too bad. The views really are nice if it's cloudy and you can raise your window shades a foot or two. And for god's sake, someone, bite the bullet and hire a bartender!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
22  Thank AlexHawke
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were expecting a spectacular experience as we have become accustomed to at other Aman properties but were thoroughly disappointed.

The food was awful. We had salmon and ribeye steak but the food quality was not good at all not were the sides and the flavors. Our meal was over 300$ including wine and we barely made a dent in the meals. Despite this no one asked us how it was or why we didn't eat it. I was so hungry and we waited 90 mins for our dinner. There is only one restaurant and you get the same food as room service. We tried to order room service hoping to get a sandwich or something as I'm expecting but it was the same food as in the restaurant. Unfortunately unlike the other AMAns. There is only one kitchen.

The curtains are too hard to put up and down

Thermostat was finicky. We were boiling at night!

It is nearly impossible to find outlets in bathroom and there are only two non GSI outlets under the mirror in one sink.

The light switches almost impossible to find as they are placed by the headboard under the pillows.

Late one night I peeled an orange from a plate in our room which was inedible as it was very stale.

The Bartender was absent from the lovely lobby bar. On our tour we were told there was a floating bartender. When we asked for him we were told it was a "show bar".

The American Aman is a disgrace to them all. I'm disappointed to have wasted my time to drive 12 hours from Canada to get there.

• Stayed: August 2014
7  Thank Monzeh
Reviewed 4 August 2014

There'es just so much to gush about; where to begin??

First off, the ambiance and decor of Amangani are wonderfully, tastefully understated. We took a short stroll through the Four Seasons in Teton Village and it just felt so...commercialized inside, whereas Amangani was more serene and just felt like it fit into the scenery.

The view, of course, is amazing, and we enjoyed listening to the cows mooing at all hours of the day (and night!). Nearby wildlife just roams around freely; we encountered a mother and baby moose literally 50 feet from the resort's front door -- obviously we merely peeked at them while hiding behind the parked cars.

Service was excellent; all staff members do their best to recognize you, so all charges (like room service, spa or restaurant) get automatically charged to your room and you don't ever have to sign for anything!

Our room was spacious, comfortable and well-designed. All the food we ordered (and it was a lot) was delicious, from room service breakfasts on the balcony to lunch by the pool. We loved sitting in the hot tub at night and watching the stars come out.

As this is a very peaceful and comparatively remote resort, I wouldn't recommend bringing your kids, if only because the few children we encountered at the pool really disrupted the quiet atmosphere with their playing. I'm sure the places in Teton Village are much more kid-friendly!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level get more sunlight during the day!
3  Thank Laura L
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Love this hotel! We were totally blown away with the atmosphere, views, food/wine and service. This hotel is in a class by itself! We originally planned to stay at the Four Seasons in Teton Village but switched because of location and room size----So glad we did!! No complaints at all!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were expecting an amazing and luxurious resort and were disappointed to experience a poorly run, tired and very overpriced hotel. Listed below are some comments:

The room keys are old, stripped and difficult to use.
Blueberries that were spilled at breakfast on day one were still on the floor after three nights.
Pillows on the bed are old and either too hard or too soft.
We had to call Housekeeping for turn down service at night.
The curtains are too hard to put up and down as the housekeeping staff does not know how to tie down ropes on a cleat. Nearly every night we struggled to undo the knots in the curtain ropes put there by housekeeping and put them down.
The air conditioner doesn't work and sounds like a wind tunnel. The engineer told us to leave the fan on high and close the curtains in the daytime thus losing the view. During our stay the room was too warm if we tried to turn down the noisy fan.
The lights by the bed are halogen lamps that are battered and impossible to read by.
There is a Power Strip nailed to wall which is very unsightly and obviously added at a later date.
The food is passable but uninteresting and the menu reflects an eye not tuned to healthy eating.
Our room service dinner on our last night was congealed pasta with cold tomatoes on the side along with large slices of Parmesan which were intended to be sprinkled over the pasta.
We were unable to identify the amenities when washing hair as there was no marking to identify shampoo or conditioner.
The spa services were nonexistent despite internet photos showing salon, nail station,etc.
The spa rooms were dingy and had no air conditioning.
On arrival there were many greeters at the front door but during our stay we had to wait for our car a few times as there was only one doorman.

Pluses:
Yuko,the lovely assistant manager who was unfailingly polite and gracious.
Amazing Dondi: the yoga teacher!
Wonderful drive in a borrowed BMW.
Gift shop puzzles and the sales lady who works there who is fabulous!
Views are unforgettable and the pool is lovely.
Brandon who drove us to the airport !

While staying in this hotel we felt as if the simplest thing became a struggle: finding a light switch, opening one's door, raising the curtains, using the air conditioning, searching for an outlet, eating good food, and relaxing.

I have never had more staff ask during a meal if we were enjoying things. At times we experienced distant behavior from staff and at other times, very solicitous.

This hotel desperately needs updating as the prices are insane for a lovely view.
I hope they close soon to renovate so we can return to this lovely spot and have a different experience. This hotel is crying out for an excellent GM because now there is nobody home.

10  Thank lucindaw
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Aman Hotels does it right!!!! From the first greeting at the door to the sad last goodbye, Amangani staff knocked it out of the park!
The property itself is so unique. Beautifully sited overlooking a panaramic 50+ mile view of the valley and Tetons; this place takes your breath away. Very Zen inspired architecture with attention to use of materials that mirror Jackson Hole's natural personality. Not a new property but well maintained and kept in top-notch condition. The pool is superb and peaceful.
Service is impeccable. They know you at anytime by name and you are never left to feel that you are in need of anything.
It is an expensive property but they make it worth an extravagant visit. My partner and I hope to return again soon and visit other Aman properties. Aman is Amazing!

2  Thank Kirk R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
The Wort Hotel
The Wort Hotel
#9 of 40 in Jackson
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!