“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Amangani looks like a James Bond lair. It is an extremely cool place to stay just outside of Jackson (5miles). The hotel team are extremely friendly and will know your names from the onset of the stay.

Pros
Stunning location - the daily mountain views are simply awesome. Every bedroom has them and so does the lounge
Cool rooms - has an asian design feel. We liked the heated slate bathroom and sunken bath concept.
Service - world class family feel about the place. Most of the staff are young and make sure to attend to every need. Talk to the drivers for the inside scoop on places to eat and drink
Amangani lounge - nice idea at Teton Village. They take care of you slope side.

Areas for improvement.
Car service is expensive – every time you want to go out to dinner it will cost you $80USD return. Function of location, but there should be a more cost effective wow to shuttle guests down to Jackson.

Overall I recommend this hotel to anyone who has cash and wants to enjoy 5 star luxury. We will definitely be back

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tiwifins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 21 November 2009

I stayed at Amangani with my wife in the summer of 2008 and returned in August of 2009 with friends (2 other couples). The hotel continues to be excellent. Great design, wonderful rooms, friendly, attentive and knowledgeable service. Pool area is wonderful after a day of hiking in the Tetons.

On difference since 2008 is that we noticed the service in the main restaurant was slower than 2008. In addition, they no longer have a small buffet breakfast, and it takes too long to get served. As many people seem anxious to get on their way to the Tetons or activities in the morning, this could use some improvement.

With that said, there is still no finer place to stay in the Jackson area, and would unhesitatingly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jcheld
Geneva
Reviewed 20 September 2009

This was my fourth stay at the Amangani and as usual they make me feel as if nothing too difficult could not be done for me.
The rooms are just a proof of what understated elegance means, the lobby is spectacular without any need for bling, the swimming pool could not be more beautiful and the view from there (as well as from the room) is spectacular.
It is a true oasis.
Only the food is sometimes too complex for its own sake. They are using the best products but sometimes simplicity would be a better recipe. (but I am French, I may be biased)

The level of service is unbelievable and everything is done without you having to ask.
My car was a bit dusty, they had it cleaned. I had lost a label of a suitcase, they put a new one (and a classy one, I must say), the visor of my riding helmet had been broken at the airport (the way they handle your luggage is frightening) they fixed it so well that I will not have to buy a new one. I wanted Horse riding lessons, they found me a great instructor.
All that is done as a matter of fact. So friendly. And they remember you from year to year.

Really a class of its own.
Still do not go if you can not sign the bill without looking at the bottom line.
This is not USA at 10USD per day, but rather at 1000 USD per day (as a minimum)

Do not forget the gift shop. They have extremely beautiful items in store at every price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank SwissG_7
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Our reviews generally address traveling at nicer hotels with small children. First of all, the views from our room were spectacular - in general, I don't really find that the views add that much to my hotel experience but in this case, they were truly breathtaking. Also, this particular brand of hotel does a great job of integrating the architecture of their buildings into the landscape. Second, this hotel did an unbelievable job accommodating my two young children - beautiful daybed and crib, bathrobes in both of their sizes (4 months and 2 years), balloons, jellybeans...the library contains drawers upon drawers of markets, games, books, etc. My only regret was staying at the hotel over Memorial Day weekend which was a little too early in the season (b/c of weather) to really enjoy the pool, etc. I highly recommend this hotel for people looking for a luxury hotel that welcomes families.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank AnnieBibble
Honolulu
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We arrived before noon at the Granery for lunch. Since it was not opened, we wandered around the lobby of this hotel which is next door. I found an absolutely stunning room, that was so romantic. It had indirect lights, spotlights on expensive fixtures, beautiful floral arrangements, etc. Clearly the interior design was on par with the very best that I've ever encountered. For a moment I had a little difficulty finding the exit door, which is interesting since I was in the men's restroom in the main lobby!

If I ever win a lottery, I know one place where I'll be visiting.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ManoaHawaii
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 March 2009

My wife and I spent 5 nights here in January. We went for skiing. I grew up skiing, but my wife had never skiied, so Amangani was a great compromise: if she loved skiing, great, because they'll take us back every day. If she didn't, no big deal, since there's other stuff to do, like snowshoeing and snowmobiling. (She loved it...)

The hotel was deserted while we were there, only 5 rooms occupied, if I recall correctly. We basically had it to ourselves. Despite this, it was sometimes a challenge to locate staff. Sometimes it took 2 or 3 minutes. Not a big deal, obviously, but at this price point the staff is supposed to be hovering invisibly in the background. At all times. But they were always so nice... in the end we realized that the hotel is to some degree staffed by kids who are there to ski. These aren't professional waiters. They are waiting tables to support their ski habit. It's fine. It's just not world class. Having said that, the restaurant served me the best beef tenderloin I have ever eaten, period. Knocked my socks off.

The room was huge, with an incredible bathroom. Too bad the fireplace was gas. The room and hotel in general were immaculate.

The main public room of the hotel has two big wood-burning fireplaces (there's another in the restaurant, and another in the library). You can eat all of your meals there in front of them, if you feel like it. The main room has a towering glass wall looking out on the mountains. It's quite beautiful. We spent a couple of hours there every evening after skiing.

The pool out back is incredible. You just have to try it. We went out when it was maybe 20F and snowing. They brought snacks and cocktails (which they do very well, by the way) to the edge of the pool, then stood there for several minutes in the bitter howling wind just to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. We were, immensely.

We didn't have our own skis, so on the day we arrived, they had some guy come with rental gear. It was not your typical rental gear. He had several of everything, and we tried it all on in the hotel's library, looking out the big windows. A lot nicer than your local ski shop's back room.

They have a vehicle (either a Lexus SUV or a van or a shuttle) that runs back and forth from the ski resort. At the resort they have a private lounge--which amounts to a few rooms--right at the Tram and lifts. Super convenient, and has incredibly nice and attentive staff, but not even remotely as luxurious as the hotel. It works fine though.

When we return, we'll probably stay at Amangani again. The Four Seasons at the mountain isn't much cheaper if I recall, but seems a lot less special (we ate lunch there a few times).

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank exflatsix
LaSalle, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2009

WE have just returned from Amangani after spending our 40th Anniversary at this wonderful "resort" This was our 3rd. Aman experience,, very different to the Aman's in Asia, but nevertheless, an Aman. If you are looking for peace, quiet corners, wonderful rooms with spectacular views and staff who are there when you need them and not in your face, this is the place for you. If you want noise, chatty crowds, night life, keep away. These places are for "special"people who know what they like. In the winter months most visitors are there to enjoy the ski-ing, Aman has a free shuttle to the slopes and a lounge at the slopes where you can rest and leave your skis over night. The spa offers many fine treatments etc. there is a small gym which could be larger, and a wonderful heated outdoor pool and hot tub. The restaurant offers good, not great , but good food and the chef will always do something special as he did for us on our Anniversary. Meals can be eaten where ever you wish, in the library, the dining room, in front of the fire in the wonderful lounge area or , of course, in your own room. We found room service to be very prompt. The staff at Aman could not have done more to make our Anniversary any more special, they arranged for us to go dog sledging which was amazing, you must try it when you visit.. I must agree with the previous review who mentioned that there was no complimentary transportation into Jackson town as there was for the slopes, I did mention this to the management, so hopefully this will be rectified. Expensive, yes, but unfortunately in this life you get what you pay for. Go relax and enjoy.!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank banbury
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Hotel Jackson
Hotel Jackson
#3 of 40 in Jackson
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!