“Don't Go”

JD High Country Outfitters
Ranked #58 of 75 Tours in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1974, High Country Flies has been serving the needs of fly fishers in one of the great trout fly fishing Mecca's of the world for over 35 years.Our shop is centrally located in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, on the town square. We are one hour south of Yellowstone National Park, one hour east of the Henry's Fork, one hour north of the Green River and just minutes from the Snake River and Grand Teton National Park. We have rebranded to JD High Country Outfitters, but have the same experienced staff and the outstanding gear to make your adventure memorable.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We booked a guided fishing trip on the Snake River for my husband. As instructed, the night before the trip we went into the shop to purchase the recommended flies. When we arrived we were told that the person we had been talking with over the last 2 months had been fired. We were taken aback by the staff sharing this sensitive information. A staff member picked out flies and we purchased them. We left feeling very uneasy about the shop, and how it was run.

The next morning when my husband arrived, the guide had him buy more flies. The trip was not successful in landing fish, which is okay as that happens sometimes. While the guide was pleasant, he was in over his head with the water conditions. My husband was very disappointed with the trip that he had planned for months and for which he paid a good sum of money.

We contacted the shop by email after returning home to express our disappointment. The manager did refund the cost for the first set of flies we purchased, which we appreciated. Unfortunately, we can't recommend this guide service.

4  Thank TripleDeckers
Kristie E, Manager at JD High Country Outfitters, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review, and I apologize that your experience was not as it should have been. We did have some turnover last summer, but as you note, that should not have been shared with you as a customer, I am sorry that it was. We have now hired more professional staff and trust that your experience, should you choose to give us another chance, would be very different. If you visit Jackson again, please stop into the shop and see us, we would welcome the opportunity to make your trip memorable in a very positive way.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Would definitely use them again. I had to start and end a half day early. They accommodated my timeframe. I swear 50+ fish rose to my fly. My excitement and let's face it, lack of skill only let me land a fraction of those. The guide was very friendly and obviously did his job right.