My wife and I stayed at the Pony Express Motel for three nights in August, 2013. It served as a good base for exploring the Jackson Hole area and though it was a bit more expensive than we might have liked, it was a good value compared to similar hotels in Jackson.
It is located on the southern edge of the central area of Jackson, at the junction of the road to the Teton Village ski area and to Teton National Park. For us this was a good location because it made it quick and easy to reach those areas for hiking. Although it might be fun to be closer to the old historic district, we were just a short drive to it. The Pony Express is just across the road from a new shopping center with a large supermarket, a very handy place for supplies.
The Pony Express was originally built in the classic two-story motel style, with rooms accessed by a common walkway along the front of the building. The rooms have been totally redone, though, so that inside they have been upgraded into attractively decorated and very comfortable accommodations complete with full kitchen. Our room (#20) was on the second floor and was large with a comfortable king bed (but hard pillows), a small table with chairs at the window, a reading chair, a large five-drawer dresser. The kitchen had a bar counter across one side with stools. Although we didn’t cook full meals we liked being able to make our own breakfasts and keep supplies for picnic lunches. The bathroom was rather small but adequate, with a tub/shower combo and a separate vanity area that had just a small amount of counter space. Wifi is included and worked well.
There were a few quirks that probably were the result of retrofitting an older structure – there was room for only one night stand, there was no closet and only pegs for hanging clothes (though the 5-drawer dresser provided adequate storage for folded items), and the attractive kitchen tile raised the floor level to the point of requiring care not to stub a toe at night. The large windows across the front provided plenty of light but also gave people walking by outside visual access to the room unless the shades were closed. These were minor problems, however.
The staff was uniformly friendly, helpful and welcoming. They seemed to really care about their facility and making our stay comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Pony Express Motel in beautiful Jackson Hole, WY! Stay with us and enjoy old west hospitality. We offer a friendly, down-home welcome and clean, comfortable rooms. Nothing fancy...just a price that's fair and square in a prime location just minutes from world-renowned attractions. We are committed to providing all of our guests with a warm and inviting atmosphere so you can relax and enjoy your stay in Jackson. We look forward to welcoming you. Have a safe trip...see you soon! PS: Ask about our weekly and monthly winter rates! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Pony Express Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pony Express Hotel Jackson
- Pony Express Motel Jackson Hole, Wyoming