“Very gracious, but a little rough around the edges”
Review of Pony Express Motel

Pony Express Motel
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The owners live on site and are very gracious. I stayed in the condo which has a full kitchen and microwave. Jackson is very expensive, so the rate was market. The room was pretty clean, but the motel itself is pretty old. There were minor things about the condo like one of the stove elements not working, an old frayed bathroom mat, and the room having no running water when the owner was filling the swimming pool for 20 minutes in the evening. I give the owner and service 5 dots but the accommodations 3 dots.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at the Pony Express Motel July 23-26, after our stay in Yellowstone. We had booked one of the two bedroom condos thru an outside broker, and when I confirmed with the owners I was advised that it was unavailable for the first night stay. They offered us two connected rooms for the same price, and moved us over the next day without a problem. The hotel is clean, the room we had in the motel area had a full kitchen, which was great to eat breakfast. The condo was even better, two bedrooms, kitchen, small dining area, private patio by the pool, and access to a propane grill. There is a pool, and laundry room both of which we used.
The owners are very nice people, who care about their guests, and were glad to answer our questions on local restaurants, horseback riding, and shopping options.
The motel is a little way from the town center, (I wouldn't walk it) but only 3 min with a car. I have no problem recommending this motel for a family stay in the Jackson area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rainman73
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were on our last leg of our trip West, and had booked a room, nearly a year in advance, a room that included a full kitchen. Tired and exhausted, we checked into our room, around 3pm. Dinner that night had been prepared at a previous location and frozen, so all we had to do was pop it in the oven. I looked around our room, and realized that did not put us in the desired and booked room with a kitchen. I went back over to the office and spoke with the owner Christy, to find out that they do not guarantee rooms, unless you stay for more than 2 days. The owners husband told me that we were actually in a more expensive room, which would have been great, if I had a family (it included bunk beds). The owners allowed me to use their oven, which sort of resolved the problem, but it did not resolve our problem, no place to cook breakfast the next morning. I feel that it really wasn't my fault they overbooked rooms with kitchens. So upon returning home, I went back to the motel website, no where does it say, rooms tyoes are not guaranteed unless you book for more than 2 nights. It only states that AFTER you have PAID for the room, on the confirmation paperwork. Regardless, the room was acceptable and clean. Bed was too soft though. It was extremely noisy, as the person staying above seemed to be jumping up and down all night long. Amazingly, I am hearing impared, when I take my hearing aids out, I usually do not hear anything, but, I definately heard the person above us stomping - all night! Now, someone stomping has little to do with the accomodations, but I would say the walls are paper thin. The bathroom was tiny, but it had plenty of towels and toiletries - toilet paper, well...I don't mind changing the toilet paper roll if I was staying somewhere for several days, but I do not, when I am only staying one night! Overall, it was ok, but a huge disappointment for us. If I ever venture to Jackson again, we would be looking to spend our money eleswhere. Not having the kitchen blew it for us.

Room Tip: If you want a kitchen, you better book more than 2 nights.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kcreig
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having tried to find a "name brand hotel" in area, but finding all booked, we came upon the Pony Express....what a find. Quaint little motel from the 60's but with all the modern upgrades..very clean.....fully equipped kitchen, comfortable bed, nicely decorated throughout....and most helpful staff...reasonably priced for area. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed a week at pony express and it was awesome. most important to us were the comfortable beds. condo #2 was awesome with porch sitting on the pool since we had 3 kids.
condo was cleaned everyday while we were out. Please get with Clint(owner) on resturants to visit for there are some very bad resturants in jackson hole. He sent us to Nora's in Wilson near end of week and it was the best food we had all week. Mexican place by Kmart was the worst experience i ever had, they should be shut down. They don't eat like we do in the south out west....Other than food, pony express and wyoming was most awesome.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank curtis h
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived here and were greeted by one of the owners Clint. He made us feel very comfortable and was very helpful giving us information. We stayed for 7 wonderful nites. Our room was very clean with a well stocked kitchen. Which was really nice to have. After a full day out we always came back to a nice clean room..
The location of the hotel is perfect. Everything is in walking distance if you choose to do so. Which was nice.
Because of our stay of 7 days we had a chance to get to know the owners which were full of information and very personable. The staff also was very helpful.
We would highly recommmend this hotel to stay while you're in Jackson.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sassy0076
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This was the first decent hotel of our trip. The rooms were amazing. They even had the easy shut drawers in the kitchen. The staff greeted us by name and were great. The pool was nice. Other than the driveway is shared with the gas station, it was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2014