“Go with anyone else- additional fees and disappointment”
Review of Snake River Angler

Snake River Angler
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Snake River Angler is a full-service Fly Fishing Shop and Guide Service based in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We have two locations one is next to town square in down town Jackson. The other is in the heart of Grand Teton National Park in Moose. We offer guided fishing trips from beginners to experts. With a half day and full day options we can customize your trip into the experience of a lifetime.
Reviewed 24 July 2012

When we entered the shop for Snake River Anglers, we were met by a young man who seemed courteous and was helpful although a bit inexperienced. The owner (Will) quickly came over and talked us into a full day fly fishing trip rather than the half day trip we had planned for the following day. The owner pushed for us to pay the $550 per day for the fly fishing trip on the Snake River as it was "world famous" for trout and even though that price was about $55.00 higher than many local guides, that it absolutely included everything - even lunch. Just show up. After we committed to the trip he amended to say, except fishing licenses and that would be a cash only transaction. We confirmed again, that it included everything. He smiled and said absolutely.
The owner then took my driver license and began entering the information fo rmy fishing license. After several minutes, my fishing license information had been placed into the computer except the date the license was to be valid for, when a young lady who was obviously a local and known to the owner, came into the store. She also needed a fishing license and a few tackle items. The owner quickly engaged her in conversation ignoring me and my husband completely despite the fact we were in the middle of our transaction. He took her (Wyoming) driver license and looked at me and said, just do yours tomorrow when you come in and he promptly deleted all of my application on the spot, again devoting his attention to the young lady. Aside from being rude, it was a bad business move. We were there spending almost $600.00 and he discarded us for a non revenue based fishing license and a bit of tackle?
After being treated so badly, we were going to just go somewhere else but they had our credit card information already for the trip and a cancellation policy that negated us from getting out of the transaction.
We decided just to meet the guide the next day and fish - after all it wasn't going to be the owner and on that late notice we were concerned we wouldn't be able to get another guide on such short notice.
The next day we got to the shop early and met with the guide. He promptly threw some leads and flies on the counter and stated we were required to purchase them for the trip. The total was $58.75. This was not the all inclusive trip we were sold. If we didn't purchase the additional tackle, we would not get to fish.
So, we were already paying $55.00 more than standard for the trip because it was "all inclusive", paid for the licenses ($14.00 each), and then we were required to pay an additional $58.75 for tackle for the trip. (By the way, we did not get the flies back at the end of the trip)
It gets even better though. The store called and stated they misplaced my credit card information to pay for the trip. In this day and age, you misplaced it? Concerning.....
I probably should have just walked away at that point and taken my losses, but I gave them the billing information again asking that they make sure that it not get billed twice.
The guide was a smoker and stopped several times to smoke, but in fairness, he walked out onto "rocky sandbars" away from the boat when he smoked so that wasn't too bad but for non smokers, it did put a damper on the appreciation of the clean air of the outdoors of Jackson Hole.
The saving grace for this trip was the beauty of the river and the mountains, not the actual fishing or experience with Snake River Anglers. That is why I gave it a poor rating instead of a terrible.
My review recommends you go with Jack Dennis or Jackson Hole Anglers, but NOT Snake River Anglers.

6  Thank tjdilts

Reviewed 28 September 2011

This was a second fly fishing trip with Ben Brennen and Snake River Angler and we are already planning to go again next year.! Last year was my first time fly-fishing. Ben showed me the ropes in less than 30 minutes and we were off. He is patient, friendly and most of knowledgeable. Now to Snake River Anglers. A great group of friendly, knowledgeable guys. They make you feel welcome and are more than willing to answer any questions and give advice. They are the best group! Remember to ask for Ben Brennen when booking your trip. You will not be disappointed. Lunch is provided on the the trip. Bathroom are the national park bathroom or the great outdoors. I would recommend the full day. We went 3 days in a row. While there, their was a disabled young veteran with artificial legs(not sure of the correct term) fly fishing from a boat.

3  Thank pbstravels