“Bucket List item - a second time!”

Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours - Day Tours
Tustin, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bucket List item - a second time!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

In my youth some thirty years ago I went on this adventure, and at that time I placed the memory of this trip in my top ten lifetime experiences. I had told my wife about it and she was eager for the experience. We scheduled our ski trip to Jackson Hole specifically for this reason.

We booked our trip through Jackson Central Reservations, and they booked us on a tour with Six Heart Ranch. Everything about that choice was perfect. We had ten snowmobiles in our group - which was a more intimate size than some of the other tour groups riding that day which added to the charm and attention we received.

This was a very long day - it began at 6:00AM when we were picked up at our hotel by our guide Dan and taken to the Six Heart Ranch for a sit down breakfast. They also run a Dude ranch in the summer, and given the hospitality we were provided we will consider visiting them during a summer. The view - and the pictures we got of the Tetons at sunrise from the windows at the ranch were fantastic. After pancakes, bacon and eggs we were outfitted for our trip for both warmth and comfort. After a short ride to Flagg Ranch we picked up our snowmobiles and received our instructions. We were impressed with Dan's emphasis on safety. Snowmobiles have improved much over the years - I appreciated the heated handgrips and heated seats (my wife didn’t know how much of an improvement that makes), it made the ride even more enjoyable.

The trip is scheduled to provide a view of the Old Faithful geyser erupting, so we had there were several scenic stops along the way, and Dan did a great job of explaining what we were looking at. While Yellowstone is beautiful in the summer it is crowded. Seeing it in winter seemingly transforms it into a different place. A winter visit to Yellowstone is like nothing else; with the snow the scenery and tranquility are unsurpassed.

We arrived at Old Faithful with time for a picnic style lunch in the comfort of some tent like structures. After lunch we were treated to a sight of bison roaming around the geyser. Old faithful erupted right on time and then we were back on the snowmobiles for more sightseeing of some of the thermal features, more bison, and then we began our trip back home.

My prior trip was taken in the middle of winter, this one was taken March 12. From My perspective it’s better to do the trip closer to spring – the weather is better and the lighting for pictures is better. Although when planning your trip be aware that they close the park to snowmobile tours mid-march to begin getting the roads ready for the tourist season.

Thirty years later the trip was even better than I had remembered it since I shared it with my wife – closer to the top of my list now.

2 Thank Tami and Haskel... R

New Caney
3 attraction reviews
“Old Faithful Snowmobile tours terrible!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

This was the worse trip I have ever gone on. Got to "Old faithful" in Yellow stone only to have missed it's going off. Lunch that was provided was not good. Guide did not give us any history on Yellowstone. We road 40 miles an hour and had very few opportunities to see the sites. Tony needs to remain a hunting guide and not guide tours.

Ventura, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best day ever!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This past Saturday my family and friends had the best day ever. We toured Yellowstone by snowmobile from the South Entrance to Old Faithful and then up past Biscuit Basin. What an adventure and I am so glad we did it with Tom at Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours. Our experience exceeded our expectations! Our group was made up of just our crew that came to Jackson together. It made it really special that it was just us on the trip. Our group of 12 is made up of two families with two kids each (age 16, 14, 13, and 12), a couple and two single guys. My family and the other family each rode double on the snowmobiles and everyone else rode their own. With such a diverse group the overwhelming reaction to the trip was UNBELIEVEABLE! We enjoyed every second of the day, felt very taken care of by the staff at the office, enjoyed the lunch with hot soup, loved all the stories we heard from our GREAT guide Tom and learned so much about Yellowstone history, the animals of Yellowstone and the beautiful sites we saw along the way from him. The trip had just the right amount of stops and sightseeing as well as the time to enjoy the exhilaration of riding the snowmobiles. I am so glad we went with Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours and would recommend this company to anyone that asked. Thank you so much for the best day ever!:)

Mobile, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Our group of six family members, 60-65 years of age, just returned from a three-day snowmobile trip through Yellowstone National Park, which was hosted by Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours. What an exhilarating experience and with spectacular scenery-lots of wildlife, including bison on the snowmobile path within 10 feet. Each day provided a totally different environment -- and different weather from clear with no snow to an almost white out--so glad that we took the three day rather than one day trip. The Old Faithful owners and staff were helpful and informative from first contact to last, providing weather appropriate boots, snowsuits with jackets, mittens, and helmets; comfortable hotels; and delicious meals (we ordered from the menu-no restrictions). Tom Toolson, our tour guide, was outstanding--he ensured that our three days were safe but exciting--the best of our wonderful vacations. His depth of knowledge and appreciation for Yellowstone Park and his attention to our needs made this an unforgettable experience. Thanks Tom and Old Faithful! Helpful hint: if you tend to feel the cold, buy the warmest first layer and take lots of hand and feet warmers. One last comment, we were not senior olympians--far from it--so don't hesitate if you are considering a three day trip.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank mblake510
Mobile, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The Greatest Vacation Ever”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Everything was great about this trip. The couple that owned the business were very helpful on the phone before going and at the shop being outfitted. Tom our guide made sure everyone was taken care of and had the most interesting stories. He was a wealth of information about the park and sights. The hotels were very good and comfortable. Breakfast and dinners were great at the restaurants. They were very good and had a nice choice of meals. Lunches were provided on the trail in warm huts. Our guide Tom made sure we stopped at spots with great view for pictures. Our trip was great but Tom made it a great trip. We were a group of six from 60 to 65 years and had no problem operating the snowmobiles. Thanks Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours, I recommend them to everyone.

Visited February 2014