“Wished I could have stayed longer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Elk Country Inn

Elk Country Inn
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Jackson
Boston, MA
“Wished I could have stayed longer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

We (two parents and a teen) stayed here on the last night of our Yellowstone vacation. It was such a comfortable motel, I wished we could have stayed longer. We showed up in our damp swimwear, straight from a rafting trip down the Snake River. The desk clerk didn't even blink an eye. We asked for a dinner recommendation for a "non-snooty" restaurant and actually got a straightforward, honest, no-holds-barred ranking of area restaurants as to food quality and relative snootiness. (Based on the recommendation, we had an excellent, down to earth, non-snooty Tex-Mex meal at the Merry Piglets, but that's another review.) As for the motel, it's a large, rustic-looking (Wild West) complex of several buildings and some cabins. It's right on the main highway, but noise is not an issue. It's about three blocks from Town Square, so it's very convenient; you can walk anywhere. Our room was huge, quiet, clean, and comfortable. The motel is right next door to Bubba's, a BBQ restaurant that serves an excellent, filling breakfast. We were able to get a reasonable rate (for Jackson high season) with a AAA discount. It's worth calling the hotel direct for this, as the website didn't give me this option. This would definitely be an excellent choice if you're looking for a comfortable home base in Jackson, WY.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Mickirish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

From the moment we walked in we felt welcomed. Fantastic staff, very clean hotel overall. Room was great, extremely comfortable and clean. Right next to a restaurant and short walk to downtown. Jackson hole is very pricey town and this hotel is affordable. No doubt will plan to stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Room was a good size and very clean and comfortable. Also had a fridge and microwave. Location is ideal, an easy walk to the Town Square or to the Rodeo and despite being near the main road through Jackson, it was very quiet. There are also plenty of restaurants nearby if you don't even want to go as far as the Square. I always found the staff I dealt with to be friendly and helpful too.
In the context of Jackson hotel prices it was also reasonably cheap, although far more than you would pay for a similar room in most other places.
But, while the fresh cookies in the office are a nice - and very tasty - touch, you should get some sort of breakfast at this price. There are plenty places nearby to buy breakfast, but that's not really the point.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank AScotsmanAbroad
Roseville, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

After reading the previous two reviews that seem so opposite, I think these sites are not totally trustworthy. Its as if a bad review requires someone from the property to write a rebuttal so the overall "rating" doesnt take a hit.
That said. I stayed at this Inn on a night when there were no options for alternate lodging because the town was booked solid. I would have stayed elsewhere. Cindy at the front desk was rude and should not be dealing with the public. With a booked town, I think she felt entitled. The rooms were nice, though it looked as if someone had been in the rooms after housekeeping. The beds were a bit messed. The laundry facility was pretty yucky, and one of the dryers didnt work well. I was happy to move on.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank robcmil
Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Checked in for one night, liked it so much we stayed for two. Charming Cabins with friendly staff. We will be back

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

On April 22, 2010, I spoke to Steve the on duty manager via phone. I requested and made reservations for two quiet cabins that were side by side. Steve stated that he would reserve me two Courtyard Cabins that were quiet. Our arrival date was July 23, 2010, upon check-in, we proceeded to our rooms. The rooms were not located in the Courtyard as promised. They were located next to the parking lot of Bubbas BBQ on Flat Creek Drive and Broadway (Rooms 252 and 253). I went to the office to speak to the on duty manager, Cindy Smith. I told her these were not the rooms that were reserved for me. She stated that there were no notes on the reservation. I asked to see the reservation form. Listed on that reservation form were rooms 246 and 247. These two rooms are side by side and in the Courtyard as I requested. She denied it and was rude, dishonest and unprofessional. I figured since I made reservations four months in advance, that I would have decent rooms. Unfortunately, Cindy decided to bump me to the last two rooms available at the Inn on a Friday night. Have you ever tried to find other lodging options on a Friday night in the peak of summer (good luck)? I imagine this was due to the persons that complained about the rooms that we ended up in. If this isn’t a case of bait and switch, I don’t know what is. If you want to experience poor business practices, this is the place for you, just make sure you speak to Cindy! (Room location and photos to follow).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
17 Thank WindRiverRange
Savannah, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed in one of the modern cabins - 1 bedroom with 2 double beds and 1 living room/kitchen combo. We were very comfortable, had no problems with cleanliness and had a good 2 nights sleep. Easy walk to downtown Jackson, nice front desk staff, good coffee and fresh fruit in the a.m. We could access wifi from the cabin and our girls enjoyed the 2 tv sets after several days of camping in Yellowstone and the Tetons.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family