“I'm still thinking about this place, 6 months after returning” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Rock Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Red Rock Ranch
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I'm still thinking about this place, 6 months after returning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Since I've talked about this place to so many people, and am still thinking about all the wonderful experiences we had here 6 months later, I thought I should write a review. I certainly spent a lot time looking for reviews and information when we were planning this vacation, so I hope this is helpful to those interested in a dude ranch vacation. We are a family of four with a then 8 and 5 year old (almost 6). The week we spent at RRR (the week of July 4th) was, hands down, the BEST family vacation we have ever had, and we have had some incredible vacations from beach resorts in the Dominican, to 3 weeks in Italian villas, to ski vacations out West. While they've all been great, our week at the RRR was outstanding and incredibly memorable. Top highlights: the staff are incredible. Doug sets the level of warm, personalized service from the very top and there is not one person there who doesn't seem genuinely happy to be at the ranch and committed to making your week incredible. I'll give one example: they organized a great day of games on the day of the 4th. When one of the kids wanted to participate in a pool relay but didn't have a partner, Doug jumped into the pool, fully clothed (including cowboy hat), so he could have a teammate. Imagine 100 instances of this kind of service and you'll start to get an idea of what RRR is like. I had read that the food was great, but I was honestly expecting basically high level bbq all week. Well, they had that (and it was delicious), but they also had pasta, seafood, steaks, fantastic salads, and delicious wine, too. If you want to indulge in Addie's amazing deserts every day, you can. If you want to stick to you low carb regime, you can do that, too. The rides are beautiful, incredibly varied, and intimate. You're on a ride with 4-6 people -- not 20. Also, some of my favorite memories were the family rides we got to do (just us with a wrangler). My family had essentially no riding experience when we arrived. By the end of the week, I was planning my exodus from corporate America to become a cowgirl after winning the penning competition with my teammates. Finally, I didn't realize this before we went, but Addie is a fantastic photographer (most of the photos on the site are hers). She takes family photos for you while you're there, but she also shoots all week and then sends you a dropbox with 100s of photos she's taken of the ranch, you and your family! This was absolutely priceless for us. Needless to say, I can't recommend this place highly enough. Do not hesitate -- I promise you will have no regrets.

Room Tip: Our cabin was close to the pool, which was great for our kids, but next time, I'd probably ask f...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Diane B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Besancon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and i spent a week in august. We came from france, the trip was long to jackson hole. But it is the best vacations we ever spent. Everything is perfect, the place, the landscapes, the horses and of course the fantastic team of the red rock ranch that made us feel home!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Saratoga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband & I came out for the Adult only week in Sept. 2013. There were only 10 other guests and it made for a wonderful small group of us from all across the US. I'm a bit of a "foodie" so much of the reason I chose RRR was because it was said to have excellent food. I was very happy with the meals - they were amazing! Even better, my gluten allergy was completely attended to by the kitchen staff and I was totally pampered. My husband wasn't really sold on the horseback riding (pre trip), but the 2 miles of river that flows thru the property was of great interest for fly fishing, which he did almost everyday. (I must say when he did ride, he loved that too!) In addtion to riding and fly fishing, we hiked, took arena lessons, went trap shooting (super fun!), sorted cattle, penned cattle, relaxed in the pool and hot tub, played a bit of ping pong, horse shoes, looked at the stars one night (with a fellow guest who knew all the constellations) and much more. I read 2 books and relaxed. Connecting to the internet took some effort and, as a result, we got to really know our fellow guests and actually spoke face to face with everyone and were finally "disconnected!" We can't wait to come back; it was truly a wonderful vacation. A big thank you to Addie and Doug - the best hosts ever!

Room Tip: The cabins are lovely - rustic and very private...so nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sabtram
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Oh my gosh, this place is amazing! We've been here 5 times and plan to keep coming! Every year, you get the horse that's best fit for you, and sometimes you get the same horse consecutive years in a row so you get to know them. Addie and Doug are amazing and their kids, Ellory and Paedon, are really nice, too. A perfect setting in the Gros Ventre Wilderness Area near Grand Teton National Park. You can do anything from playing pickleball (a fun game like tennis and ping-pong), to swimming in the pool, to hiking in the beautiful mountains, to fly-fishing, to riding horses, and more! The cabins are exceptional and have a rustic, western feeling with comfort to go with. If you like to square dance, hike, or ride horses (or if you'd like to try one of these things), come to Red Rock Ranch for the best vacation ever and be ready to come again!

Room Tip: If you're on a honymoon, Apache is the one to be in, it's isolated (but not too isolated) so...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IowaRun2Eat
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We have been out to the RRR now 5 times and each time it has been great. We always go at the beginning of the season and have had all kinds of weather from snow to heat and we have always had a really great time. Food is awesome and there is a lot to do whether you want to ride every minute or fly fish or hike. We have met tremendous people each time and Doug and Addie are the best.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DorrieKV
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed at the Red Rock Ranch August 5-11 with my wife and two teen daughters (17 & 15). This was the 5th time visinting RRR and most of the other guests were repeat visitors as well - this says it all. RRR exhausts the superlatives you could use to describe a week at an outstanding Wyoming ranch. The accomodations are exfellent with private two bedroom/two bath cabins with living room, fire stove, fridge and front porch with seats for after ride relaxation. The horse stock is fine - and a mount is chosen for each rider's abilities and comfort. Every day is a riding day and twice each week is a full day ride. The type of ride, length, scenery and with whom you ride is all arraqnged as you would like - families can spend some time apart or together as they choose. There is a large swimming pool and hot tub to soak away saddle fatigue. The food is outstanding and includes daily fresh baked breads, cookies and specuial treats. Winer and beer are offered at happy hours and meals along weith assorted other beverages. The RRR is an experience you will never forget and may want to repeat as we have done. I have reviewed RRR in the past and given great detail but ther RRR website with its beuatiful photos does a superb job on introducing you to the ranch. Hiking, sket shooting, fly fishing - this ranch has iot all. We have met and made many friends at the RRR over the years, including the owner, Dave McKenzie and his family, and the RRR managers Doug & Addie Hare. This is what makes the RRR a special place in Wyoming, and keeps it in our family's heart and its cherished memories.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NedHickey
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have to start off first with the fact that I am terrified of horses. When my husband booked this vacation I wasn't sure I could do it, was I ever wrong!!!!!. This was one of my favorite vacations I have ever taken. As matter of fact... we will return.
Before we arrived Doug made sure everyone knew about my fear of the horses. He and his staff were very understanding and helped me ease into my riding. Carson, the head wrangler spent the first morning with me personally making sure I was comfortable on my horse (which by the way was the sweetest horse ever). Each ride after that the wranglers kept their eyes on me to continue my success on the horse. Taking a daily ride or two was a great way to see how beautiful it is out there. On Friday you'll do cattle penning (this was my favorite). From the grounds crew to the wranglers all of them knew each guests by name. We liked the staff so much I wanted to take them home with us.
The food here is incredible. You'll do a breakfast and dinner ride, these are fun, wonderful, and yummy. Abbie and her desserts couldn't be better.
All the cabins are nice and all have beautiful views of the scenery.
We learned to fly fish, square dance, vault on horses, and skeet shoot. We rode bikes and took incredible hikes. The kids couldn't get enough of their activities. If they had it their way they would be out doing things 24 hours and day all six days.
This is one vacation you'll never forget and quite possibly it'll become a family tradition.

Room Tip: Every cabins is nice
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tamie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
#3 of 41 in Jackson
The Lodge at Jackson Hole
The Lodge at Jackson Hole
#10 of 41 in Jackson

Been to Red Rock Ranch? Share your experiences!