“Wonderful Snowshoe Sampler”

Hole Hiking Experience
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Knowledgeable local naturalists for hiking, backpacking, wildlife tours, and winter snowshoe and ski trips.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My two children and I went on the Snowshoe Sampler with Belinda on a recent trip to Jackson Hole and were very pleased. She is a former teacher and was wonderful with my children (ages 11 and 9). She kept them engaged and took care to explain the forestry and wildlife concepts at an age-appropriate level, and she even brought kid-friendly snacks. When our 2-hour trip came to an end, both of my children felt like it had only been half an hour! It was one of the highlights of our vacation. We would all highly recommend the Hole Hiking Experience and Belinda in particular. We will seek her out if we are fortunate enough to return to Jackson Hole in the future!

All reviews
"shadow mountain"
"great half day"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The sampler was a great experience and the 2 hours was just perfect. Taking the tour only a day after I arrived was a bit of a struggle to keep up. Alan set a fast pace.....if you were always last to catch up to the group, you didn't have a chance to catch your breath before he took off again. Another disadvantage of being in the back was you didn't hear what he was saying. Only the first 3 took part in the conversation. The 15 week pregnant woman, her husband and
myself were always last. At one point I thought we lost the group because her snowshoe came loose and her husband had to stop and put it back on. The group was way in front of us and not even aware of our situation.

The 4 hour with Belinda was scheduled for the next day (Sunday). Needless to say, I was already exhausted from my previous days experience. I warned Belinda before we started out. Sure enough, the 4 hours was too much for me. I got altitude sickness. I was dizzy
with flashing lights before me and nausea. Belinda was so GOOD. She stayed with me and kept encouraging me to keep moving. Tough to do when your body doesn't want to cooperate. (I also peed in my pants but didn't let on to anyone) Belinda, told me I'd just have to keep moving because we were out there in the wilderness with no one to help. I did finish and gave huge hugs to Belinda for getting me though my ordeal. Despite my difficulties, I felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment for finishing my journey. Not bad for a 65 year old out of shape cancer survivor!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I recently went with extended family to Jackson Hole, WY for some winter recreation. After enjoying our usual snowmobiling, skiing and boarding we signed up for snowshoeing with the Hole Hiking Experience. Our guide, Belinda took us on a rigorous trek filled with breathtaking vistas. We shared the beauty and solitude of the previous night's snowfall with no one other than our fellow hikers for most of the day. Belinda was well informed and passionate about the forest and the wildlife that inhabit it. We shared a lunch and mugs of hot tea in a small clearing sheltered within a thicket of trees. I loved listening to Belinda and the others in the group share their stories of other adventures past and future. I recommend this excursion to anyone who cherishes the out doors. The Hole Hiking Experience will give you a glimpse of the treasure that is Wyoming. B Khanna

1  Thank Barbara K
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Beverly picked us up at our hotel, very punctual and smiling. My wife and I are used to snowshoeing in Illinois and on various vacations, so we were fairly experienced. Hole Hiking provided all the gear needed, we just wore good boots and warm ski clothes. Our hike was maybe 2.5 hours, on already packed paths...it was easy-breezy. Our guide was so informative, and the conversation was just right. Not too chatty and not too non-existent. I find you can get in a zone on a nice hike and forget to point out the good stuff. Beverly knows her turf and is proud to share it.
We had a nice, relaxing lunch at a restaurant in the park (get the grilled cheese!).
On our drive back to town, we spotted a moose and her calf...Beverly pulled over right away so we could snap some photos.
Our reservation also included an Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride. Beverly stayed with us on the tour and really helped get the sleigh driver to give us more details than he probably would have otherwise.
I have to say, the experience felt very organized, very professional, and also very warm and friendly.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I did the 1/2 a day tour on Saturday, December 28th visiting Jackson for the first time. Our guide was Jill! She was amazing. She knew everything about Jackson, the mountains, the wildlife, the trees, and more. She was a fun and energetic sweet heart! We were expecting a more flat experience, so I would recommend being in decent shape as some of the snow shoe is up hill. We both work out regularly and found it challenging but do-able. Some of the other hikers had to go back and wait for us in the van though. Jill packed us waters and cookies and trail mix. She really could answer any single question anyone had and even knew what kind of tracks from animals we were seeing. I loved every second of this tour and the guide and would highly recommend it to anyone. One of the highlights of our trip! Don't worry about being underdressed, as you work up a nice sweat too!

1  Thank petedi923