“Fantastic family friendly trail ride”

Spring Creek Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled near the top of the East Gros Ventre Butte, only three miles away from downtown Jackson, WY, the Spring Creek Riding Stables offers a guided horseback trail ride with breathtaking, wide-open views of the Tetons, Gros Ventre Range, Wyoming Range, and the Snake River Mountain Range. There is simply no better way to experience the Tetons than on horseback!.
Rochester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic family friendly trail ride”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have four kids, ages 10, 7, and 3 year old twins. We have been on trail rides before as a family but really have minimal experience with horses. This was awesome!! All of our kids said this was their favorite part of our 2 week vacation and the best trail ride we have ever done. This ranch was the ONLY place in Jackson willing to let our 3 year olds ride with my husband and I - other places wouldn't allow kids less than 7 on trail rides. The views were beautiful and our guides Randy and Steve were superb - friendly and engaging and very experienced. They even have a service taking photos of everyone before and during the ride. We left with a CD of 30+ photos of our family on the horses for a small additional CD. Perfect afternoon!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank TamaraEB

Raleigh, NC
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wonderful ride”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This place was recommended by our hotel and we are so glad they did. The scenery on this 2-hour ride was spectacular -- on a ridge overlooking Jackson, a giant elk reserve, with the Tetons in the distance, over plains and through aspen forests. The guide / wrangler was true-and-true authentic cowboy material, and despite our lack of experience we felt perfectly comfortable the entire time. There are other riding places in the area, but it would be difficult to imagine them possibly having the scenery that this place does given the ranch's location up on a ridge that has 360-degree views of the entire region.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank KafkaShore
Avon, Connecticut
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great ride through scenic high grounds”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Well groomed, behaved horses and a trail ride through the high grounds of Jackson made it an unforgettable experience. It is very reasonably priced and they were able to accommodate a large group (13 riders) on a rather short notice. Highly recommend including it in your itinerary for Jackson Hole.

2 Thank JDinAvonCT
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“4-hour ride, Beautiful views of the area”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our children ages 10-14 and us parents enjoyed the half-day trail ride that lead us around the butte to terrific views of the Jackson Hole area, Elk Refuge land, and mountains in the distance on all sides. The ride is mostly in the sun so wear a hat and put on your sunscreen, especially on a day like our ride when there wasn't a cloud in the sky, beautiful! It was nice to do this ride early in our stay to understand the geography of the area. Two wranglers lead our group of seven riders. On this ride you bring a lunch and stop at the top of the butte to sit in the shade of Aspen trees to eat. We aren't regular riders and the horses were perfect for us. They provide saddle bags for supplies and your own camera.

2 Thank Amy K
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Jackson Hole Vacation June 2014”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Spring Creek Ranch is a beautiful place, with wonderful scenery, and TERRIBLE management and safety systems. We booked a 2 hour trail ride for two families on June 21st. At check in things seemed a bit lax. We continued on however and were shortly on our way with 7 riders and Steve, the Ranch employee, leading the trip. The first 1.5 hours were beautiful. However, 15 minutes prior to our finish, the horses bunched up and one horse kicked my wife's horse. Unfortunately the kick hit my wife squarely on her foot and broke her foot. My wife was screaming in pain as i helped her to the ground. Steve, the trip leader, was speechless and clearly not prepared for any emergency. My wife was on the ground writhing in pain and Steve was unable to reach anyone from the ranch for a rescue for 15 minutes while we all watched in horror. My brother in law, who was in our group, finally and forcefully asked Steve to get the group to the main stable to seek assistance there. Steve agreed. They left and finally, after about 40 minutes on the ground, my wife was rescued by truck.

Let me prequalify my comments by stating that horseback riding can be extremely dangerous. I have had extensive experience with horses and can attest to their unpredictable nature. Yet as an operator of such tourist experiences it is incumbent on a Tour Provider to ensure that all safety precautions and employee training exceed minimum acceptable standards. Clearly none of the staff at Spring Creek Ranch was prepared for such an eventuality. Further still, it is evident that Ownership and Management of said establishment have zero interest in providing a safe environment for guests and, for that matter, their staff. This is a SHAMEFUL situation that sheds light on terrible management and disinterested owners.

Again, accidents happen. I'm not upset that we had an unfortunate incident with the horses. They are dangerous and you can't fault them for that. I'm EXTREMELY UPSET with the safety response from Spring Creek Ranch. Also, never once did they express their concern for my wife. Never once did they apologize for the accident. Never once did they offer their apologies. Never did they offer my wife a drink of water. Never did they follow up with a phone call to check on her health.

We had a wonderful vacation until that point. Don't hesitate to visit Jackson Hole Wyoming and engage the many wonderful tour operators found there. We will go back. But I strongly warn anyone hiring the services of SPRING CREEK RANCH to consider other options for horse tours. Customer Service is sorely lacking there, as is any regard to Safety Systems or proper employee training standards. Shame on SPRING CREEK RANCH.

11 Thank 572rickyh
RyanCastagno, Owner at Spring Creek Riding Stables, responded to this review, 26 August 2015
I was very sorry to read about your experience at spring creek ranch. Castagno outfitters has taken over the stables responsibilities as of May 2015. We have operated trail rides in Jackson Hole since early 1990's. We raise many of our own trail horses. We have our own string of horses and crew that's new at Spring Creek if in the area again please consider us for your horse adventure. Thanks the Castagno family