“Can be astoundingly great, but inconsistent”

Local Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 146 Restaurants in Jackson
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Broadway and Deloney
Transit: Jackson's S.T.A.R.T. bus stops across the street. (Town Square stop.)
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I am bit torn about this place as I had two drastically different experiences within the same week. The first time eating lunch here on a whim a few weeks ago was nothing short of a religious experience. I am a bit high maintenance when it comes to TRULY excellent burgers, and our buffalo burgers were absolutely divine: pink in the middle, juicy, and overall one of the most delicious things I had ever eaten (the side salad with the citrus dressing was also to-die-for good). Hooray! Later that week, we returned for a repeat blissful experience, and both burgers came out QUITE overcooked (despite asking for medium, bordering on medium-rare). Not only was this letdown, but since buffalo is so lean anyways, it was a mediocre meal at best. Perhaps the most irritating part of our visit was watching the table next to us also order medium-cooked buffalo burgers and receiving perfectly juicy ones about 5 minutes later (although the table next to them didn't get so lucky with their burgers, so apparently is was lunchtime roulette). This isn't some dive place...a restaurant specializing in meat (and charging $15 for a burger) should be able to cook it relatively consistently and to order. I guess that I just found it puzzling and clearly disappointing that coming here would clearly be a bit of a "shot in the dark" when it came to the food. Otherwise, the restaurant itself was very nice, but (as others have mentioned) the servers are either a bit snooty or just rushed and appear uninterested. So, overall, can be over-the-moon fantastic...if you're there on the right day.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

went in on a wed night, after 9 PM, took 35 minutes plus to get food. waitress took the order then brought out a very small basket of bread, size of a large banana (for 3 people ) she chatted up the couple at the next table who were ordering appetizers and wine- maybe the 3 of us were not viewed as big spenders even tho we ordered $100 worth of food, after about 30 minutes after ordering I got up and walked around - about 4 empty tables so they were not full, and no one waiting to be seated, about 9:40 now,
I asked the waitress " can you check and be sure that the order has not been lost?" she immediately replied that the kitchen had it and said we are "running behind" tonight. about 5 minutes later 35 min total the food came. Seems they could have given you some small item to eat during that time (like more bread or some small appetizer.? Or offered a small free desert at the meals end. Or if they were short of staff maybe closed a few of the tables to ease the strain on the kitchen.
will not go back.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I will state right off that if you don't care about service the food was great as was the atmosphere, I would give the food a 5! However when you go to a place like this where your paying a premium you would expect better service. I travel about 30-40% of the time so I have a good perspective on the quality of service. They were very slow here and at times when we could have used another drink of a fresh pour of water they just never came around the table. Our main course came to us about 45 minutes after we ordered. The only quick part of the whole night was the processing of the credit card to pay the bill.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We enjoyed the buffalo tartare and the beef carpaccio for starters. The tartare was particularly tasty. This was followed by the trout and the steak which were both delicious. The service was adequate but not warm or friendly. Our meal was rushed (perhaps they had a booking after us). However the food was of a high standard.
Just a warning the staff do expect AT LEAST a 20% tip and are not happy if they don't get this. This was not intentional on our part (not being from the States) and it left us feeling a bit flat after what had been a good dining experience.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We tried to order wine but waitress demanded to see my 37 yr old wife's ID which she didn't have. So I had a really good glass of wine alone. I had the beef carpaccio app and it was very good. My wife had the trout and I had the wild game pasta. Both were truly excellent. Waitress didn't come back until we were almost done. She just came up, grabbed my empty wine glass and walked off without a single word. 20 minutes later she came by and asked if we were ready for the check. When I commented about the wine she stated that she must have forgot to put the order in and walked off again. Overall, the food was really good but if you want the whole package try the white buffalo club.