“Nice, Just Not What We Expected”

Granite Hot Springs
Ranked #18 of 81 things to do in Jackson
Lima, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice, Just Not What We Expected”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The drive out to the hot springs is a long one, especially if you are staying in Jackson.  While only about thirty miles, the drive will take you at least an hour.  The highway to the area tops out at 45 mph, then you have to drive down a long, graveled, pot holed road (10 miles of road at 20 mph, you do the math) to get to the springs and just when you think it's over, you must take a short walk.

Our hotel told us it was 35 minutes away, Mapquest said 55.  In reality, it took us one hour and ten minutes (with a lead foot).  The drive out is absolutely gorgeous though, so be sure to bring your digital camera.

We didn't end up swimming because by the time we got there, we had to turn around to catch our flight, but we did meet the keeper, Willis and his dog Claire.  Both were uber friendly and I wish we could've spent the day melting away our tension soaked muscles.

The springs flow into a swimming pool, just like the one at your hotel, so keep that in mind when you head out.  The steaming water is cooled to 95ish degrees in the summer and 105ish in the winter and them pumped into a swimming pool.  My mom was expecting to soak in a literal spring, so she was a little disappointed.

I think it would be a cool experience if you aren't rushed (2.5 hour drive round-trip) and know what you're getting into (literally a hotel type swimming pool, not as rustic as you might have in your mind).

I will definitely go back, with a good book and a packed lunch, on my next adventure to Jackson.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank TerraFelicia

Enid, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Long, bumpy road = great scenery. Fun trip!”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We took our two boys, ages 1 and 4 here to swim. I wasn't sure about bringing the baby in the water, so he walked the trails with dad while I swam with my older son. He had a blast! The water was about 90-95 degrees, which I though would be hot in a hot-tub way, but it was more like a warm bath. If I go again, it will be in the early morning, as it was almost too hot when we were there in the early afternoon. There were probably about 30-40 others there, as well, and to avoid the crowds, I'd suggest going before lunch. We arrived about noon, and there were only a couple of other cars there. We had a picnic lunch, and by the time we were done, about 8 more cars showed up!

There are picnic tables right up next to the pool, which we didn't know, so we ate outside by our truck.

They let us bring the stroller in and didn't make us pay for dad and baby since they just watched and didn't swim.

Changing room was actually clean and nice!

Long road didn't bother me, as the view was gorgeous. Saw some mule deer on the way home. But it is BUMPY, so be ready! The description says you need a truck or 4WD, but on a dry summer day, a car can make it, too. If the road is wet/muddy I wouldn't attempt in a car.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank travelinf00ls
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Closed without notice”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We drove to Granite Hot Springs yesterday, and the sign on the highway said it was open. After the long drive back through the canyon, we finally got to the hot springs only to discover a hand written sign on the gate saying it was closed until Wednesday. No idea why and the campground had a similar sign. The very least they could have done was post a sign on the main road so everyone didn't drive all the way for nothing. Very frustrating. We drove from Utah and that was the only day we could go. Very unprofessional.

6 Thank coulkki
racine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I lived in Paradise for two summers”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I worked at the American wilderness Leadership School for two summers (it is about a mile or two from the hotsprings). I went to the hotsprings quite often. It was wonderful watching a moose grazing while soaking on a cool spring morning. I also had the pleasure of soaking once, well after hours while star gazing. This was about 20 years ago. Now I see the secret is out about the pool beneath the falls (very few people knew about it at that time).That area was improved by locals a few years before I was out there and was kept secret by the locals. If you can catch it when nobody is there, it is my favorite place I've ever been. SERENITY is all I can say about it.
Have you ever seen the movie "A River Runs Through it"? The falls that are above the natural springs is where they filmed the sceen where the boat goes over the falls. I happened to be hiking that day above the falls and someone spotted me and sent some guy to tell me to get out of their scene. lol. I couldn't believe how many trucks and people where there for that one scene (once I saw the movie).
A trip to the springs is just that.Its not just about the springs. Its about the trip. If you can catch a good day in mid june to mid july, you will be amazed at the wild flowers on the way in. I never got into flowers untill I saw the beauty of the spring wild flowers blossom. BEAUTIFUL!!!! Also take some hikes. The scenery from the road and the campground is beautiful but once you get into the backcountry, its breathtaking. I can't remember the name of the one mountain, but if you get there, there is a book to sign that you were there(20 years ago). There is also a lake Mc?, can't remember the name. You'll catch a small cuttthrought on every cast. A Mr. Mc? hauled buckets of cuttroat up there in the 30'S. and they've multiplied, but don't get too big.Ice out is late july. Short growing season.
All I can say is this is my favorite place i"ve ever lived. The valley, the mountains, the river, the wildlife,the flowers, the SERENITY!!!!. I may never get there again, but my family knows I want my ashes put into the river above the falls. ENJOY!!!!

Visited July 2010
1 Thank wiken43
Baltimore, MD
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Excellent place with our without kids”
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Well worth the trip from Jackson. The drive is beautiful and the hot springs are delightful.