“Fabulous!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Spotted Horse Ranch
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I stayed as a single person on the spotted horse ranch in Jackson, wy. I had a wonderfull time! The staff was very friendly, always in for some small talk. The horseriding was an absolute non sceary activity for me as an inexperienced rider, the trails were beautiful.
The meals were great and always very tasty, with vegetables or fruit at every meal.
The cabins are cozy and clean, with a woodburning stove that kept it warm even when freezing at nights.
You can take a beautiful and easy hike alongside hoback river and wilsoncreek.
The town Jackson is a 30 minute drive away, with shops, galleries and nice restaurants.
Grand teton national park is 35 minutes from the ranch.

Room Tip: Ask for cabin alongside the river!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ingrid b

Reviewed 12 September 2012

My husband and I only stayed one night at the ranch in August and it was the best experience of our trip. The staff is top notch. The cabins are older, but very clean and the beds are heavenly. We fell asleep listening to the river run outside our cabin. We also enjoyed cocktail hour on the gorgeous patio that overlooks the river. Dinner was family style and very good. Afterwards we played pool with our new friends in the main cabin. There is so much charm all around. The views are incredible and the property is in manicured shape. The city of Jackson is nearby so you can enjoy the best of everything in the area as well. If you are looking for a very simple, all inclusive experience you will like this ranch. There are no tvs in the cabins, but we didn't mind.

Room Tip: Our cabin was on the river and next to the stables. We loved sitting in the rocking chairs and watch...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank angelavoss67
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Gathering family of many ages together isn't always easy. But at a place like Spotted Horse Ranch, everyone was in heaven! Our family has stayed at other dude ranch-like places, but this one tops them all - and what makes them the best is the people! Every employee treated us like family so at the end of the week it was hard to say goodbye to them. And a week later I wanted to go back and see everyone to hang out! The wranglers were so much fun and the time spent on the horses was delightful - not only because of the views but they took us on exciting trails. We had a 6 year old and a 9 year old and they really learned a lot about horseback riding that week - the wranglers gave them great opportunities to learn. The property itself is in a GORGEOUS setting. Our cabins were perfect for each of the families in our family reunion. Some of us are also vegetarian and the food was incredible (for meat-eaters and veggie eaters). We took advantage of all the opportunities during the week: the family cookout, the all-day ride, the tickets to Jackson Hole Rodeo, the WhiteWater Rafting trip, the scenic river trip (which was a little long for the little ones), the hot springs swimming hole, and the Fly Fishing lessons. We could not get enough of it all. We also used our last day to head into Yellowstone - which was a little bit of a drive but a must-see for the kiddos. Horseback riding for a week got us all pretty dirty so it was nice they had washer and dryer for us to use. They also had a hot tub, but without a pool on location they gave us chairs so we could sit in the cool Hoback River that runs right next to the resort. A few from our group went hiking around the resort and saw some really cool stuff. The photos from our trip were like artwork - you couldn't take a bad picture because everywhere you look is a beautiful view.

Room Tip: My parents had the cabin on the river which was great for gathering the whole family because it had...
4  Thank EastWestX
Reviewed 30 July 2012

A super week! There were 3 children in our group of 3 families (all pre-teen) and there were 13 total young people at the resort, out of the total of 30. The entire Spotted Horse Team were very friendly and hospitable, making us all feel like family. The hiking, horseback riding, and fly fishing were all very enjoyable. The young people floated the river in inter tubes. The Happy Hour every evening allowed us to get to know other families from around the country and share our experiences from the day. We did the 6 hour ride for the overnight camping to a basic campsite in a box canyon. My wife and I are not avid campers or horseback riders - but the 35 hours we spent on hoseback for the week were very enjoyable and the scenery spectacular. The cabins were clean, but are getting basic accomodations (no AC or TV in the cabins). It was thoroughly enjoyable sleeping with the windows open and the sounds of rapids on the Hoback River 50 feet from the front door of our cabin. We highly recommend for anyone wanting a great outdoor experience. We want to go back, and would recommend for anyone to take children/grandchildren that are 10+ years old. Jerry & Robin Brown

1  Thank jlbrown920
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This vacation was top notch from the moment we arrived. We were greeted by Sheryl, who is very sweet and accomodating. She checked us in and showed us around and then pointed out the already in progress happy hour. We joined the crowd and met all the folks who had already arrived. We could not have asked for a better group of people, all families, to spend our week with. I feel as if we made a bunch of great new friends as the week went on. The same can be said of the kids. They all got along great.

I can't say enough about the staff. Kevin, the manager, made sure everyone had a great experience. Alyssa the bartender made sure everyone had what they wanted when they wanted it. Jeremiah and his kitchen staff never disappointed us. The housekeeping staff were very sharp and attentive. Christian's staff of wranglers were all great (Here's a shout out to our wrangler, Chris). I wish I could mention everyone's name without leaving anyone out, but suffice it to say that everyone was great.

The cabins were very well appointed and comfortable. There are no TVs, except one in the lodge. I don't think it was turned on once the entire time we were there. No one wanted to watch. The scenery is spectacular and the horses are friendly and obviously well taken care of.

We generally never want our vacations to end, but our entire family truly never wanted to leave this wonderful place.

You need to spend your vacation here!!

3  Thank goldy965
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My sister and I just returned home from a week at the Spotted Horse Ranch and it was incredible! The staff was extremely pleasant and did anything/everything to make our stay the best experience. We rode just about every day with the best wrangler! He was very knowledgeable about the area and wildlife. While out on the trails we saw some amazing sights and explored the Tetons and the Gros Ventre wilderness. I enjoyed being able to choose my activities and do as much or as a little as I wanted. Attending the Jackson Hole Rodeo and white water rafting were the highlights of our vacation.

The accommodations at the ranch were modern but rustic. The beds were amazing - which were quite important after a long day on the trail. Each meal was served family style and there was little that I didn't eat and I'm a picky eater! The main courses consisted of meatloaf, salmon, pork, BBQ chicken, steak, and pasta throughout the week. I very much enjoyed meal time as it allowed me to meet the other guests.

I’m sad our vacation is over but our trip out west was a trip of a life time and I hope that I will be able to return to the Spotted Horse Ranch again. Thank you to the staff who ensured it was a week to remember!

Room Tip: Choose a cabin by the river to watch the horses run across the bridge in the morning/evening.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank etowngal
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We just got back from a wonderful week at the ranch (2 adults, 2 kids ages 11 and 14) This was one of the best family vacations we've ever had. It's the perfect place for a family with members who are serious fisherman and others who like to ride or simply relax. The size is perfect-- they max at about 32 guests so there is plenty of personal attention. Our cabin was very comfortable and very clean. We enjoyed sitting on the front porch on the rocking chairs. Nice pillows and a great shower- two ammenities I care about. The meals were yummy and there were fresh cookies or brownies for the kids every afternnon. You eat family style and within a few days all the kids new each other and played together in the evenings. My youngest child became best pals with three other kids. There is a cosy bar where people hang and enjoy drink before and/or after dinner. Two fo the nights the ranch hosts a really fun outdoor BBQ on the other side of the river. They bring in musicians both nights. A country musician one night and cowgirl singer the other.
The ranch is right on the Hoback river and the environs are gorgeous. It is ideally located so that you can explore Yellowstone and Teton National Parks as well as enjoy the ranch activities. We visited both parks (a long day to see Yellowstone, but do-able). The ranch is about 20 minute drive southeast of Jackson Hole. The location is not "off the beaten track" (It's right off a secondary highway) and while I usually prefer "middle of nowhere" places, the close access to Jackson and the airport (40 minutes) meant we didn't spend hours getting there. The less-than-isolated location was well worth the convenience. Plus, the location made white water rafting and "rodeo night" easily accessible.

The staff was unusally friendly and helpful. (I've stayed at another ranch where the staff, while efficient, made themselves invisible). At Spotted Ranch you will be on a first-name basis with the staff by the end of the week. Kevin, the general manager and his family live close by, and he is there everyday chatting with the guests, etc.
The staff clearly enjoy being around kids and families and they work hard to make everyone happy. On the spur of the moment two of the wranglers played softball and later cards with the kids after dinner one evening. (There is a huge lawn in front where the kids congregate after dinner). There is also a nice pool table and variety of board games in the "library" for rainy afternoon.

We appreciated the variety of activities available and the flexiblility to do as little or as much as we wanted. You can fill every minute with activity or just lounge on the deck with a book. There's also a nice hot tub under a gazebo overlooking the river. My kids and I rode horses most days and did one full day ride complete with a BBQ picnic in a beautiful meadow. I enjoyed the variety of trails--from easy rides along the river to a day where we climbed to the top of ridge and could see the entire Hoback valley. The horses are well-trained, well cared for and the wranglers are experienced. Several of them have taught horseback riding in previous jobs.
The fly fishing is great. My husband is an avid and serious fly fisherman and it was nice that he could indulge his passion while on a "family vacation." You can fish at the ranch either on the Hoback or on Willow Creek, or a guide can take you on a float trip. For novices and kids, there is a stocked pond onsite. The ranch is Orvis-affliated and has an Orvis guide on site who is available as a guide. He also gives flycasting lessons. My husband and oldest child had a great day-long float/fishing trip on Snake River.
To add variety to the week, on one day you can go on either whitewater rafting or a scenic float trip on the Snake. We loved it! Afterwards, you have the option of swimming in pool fed by natural hotsprings. On the way home, the driver stopped at a spectacular waterfall with a hidden hot spring, and the we all enjoyed exploring the area.
One evening everyone is invited to attend the Jackson Rodeo. One of the wrangler is a competitive bull rider, and the kids had a great time cheering him on. Very fun night.
We had a wonderful vacation overall. No complaints. It's ideal for families with kids age 5 and up, and family reunions. One group included grandparents from across the country. It is NOT ideal for toddlers, or even preschoolers. They are too young to ride and the river would be an attractive nuisance. The ranch can arrange childcare but there isn't much to do for tiny children all day, apart from watching TV (there's one in the sitting room of the lodge with cable). It probably is NOT ideal for people who don't enjoy kids or who want complete privacy. You do share meals and socialize with the other guests. It's a comfortable, casual ranch on a river. It is not an elegant 4-star hotel. So no bellhops and room service menus. But we loved it and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin overlooking the river
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family