“Very Very Very Very Very nice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Spotted Horse Ranch
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Very Very Very Very Very nice”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My family stayed at the Spotted Horse Ranch for one week in August. It was by far the best vacation my family has ever had. I was a little hesitant to book, because it is so pricey, but it was well worth it. The cabins are newly renovated. They are cozy. The beds are comfortable, but the rooms are rather small. The bathroom area is very tight. No place to put toiletries. I had a bad start to the place when I went to take a shower as soon as I got there. The shower stall was dark and very small and as soon as I turned the water on, the shower filled up with water up to my ankles. I got grossed out. I couldn't see if the stall was clean. When I got out of the shower and told Sally, she had Matt fix the problem within minutes. I also pointed out some cobwebs that I saw in the bathroom, which she also took care of also. The best thing about this place are the people. I had told Sally that we would be celebrating my daughter's 10th birthday there, so she had a cake prepared and presented at the cookout. My daughter was just thrilled. Prior to going to SHR, I had never been on a horse before. I was terrified, but my wrangler, Bryce took excellent care of me and helped me along. By the end of the week, I had learned to ride my horse, Gator, pretty well. I could make him stop and go left and right. I had also learned to go down mountains, which for me were the scariest part. I we wish had seen more animals, but we didn't. The food at the ranch was ok. It was food prepared from boxes and cans . Nothing original or gourmet, but pretty good. I found their steaks to be a little to tough for me to eat, but they always had other choices, such as hot dogs and hamburgers (made from frozen patties). They always had fresh salads and if they didn't I just asked and they brought me one. I had requested a gluten free option but the chef's knowledge of gluten was not that extensive. For instance, I think corn muffins here passed as gluten free. I didn't mind. I am not that gluten sensitive and I was really happy they tried. However if you have a serious gluten allergy you may have to really educated them about what you can and can't eat. My 8 and 10 year olds loved riding. In fact they wanted to go faster than I was willing to go. (I was scared), so my wonderful wrangler, Bryce took my kids out a few times without me and my husband so that they could go really, really fast. Later in the week, she arranged for my kids to go with another family that was riding fast and then she took me on a nice old lady ride. I loved her! We went to the rodeo, went white water rafting and fly fishing. Again Matt helped me out by showing me how to fly fish. I thanked him by hitting him in the face with a fish when I pulled the line out of the water too fast. I felt so awful, cause I could see it really hurt, but it was also funny and everybody was laughing. I apologized, but I was laughing. I still feel bad. I'm sorry Matt. Speaking of Matt, I asked him about the awesome horse shoe hooks in the cabin and he said he had made them. Then he gave me two to bring home as a souvenir. I was thrilled to have a one of kind hand made hook from the west. Another aspect of this ranch that I really appreciated was that they didn't nickel and dime me. Everything was included. We did have one misunderstanding. Sally had told us that there was happy hour from 5-7, but we didn't understand that meant that after that time, we were charged for alcohol and soft drinks, so I was surprised when we got a bill at the end of our stay. It was very small bill, its just that I was not expecting it. The internet was down while were there. It took a couple of days to get it fixed, but Kevin upgraded to an even stronger signal. We never missed the TV. We made friends with all the families there and even though we are home now we keep in touch with them. I loved how there were so few of us and we all go to know each other. My husband stayed up almost every night to hang with the other guests and then stumbled back to our cabin late at night. I loved that I didn't have to worry about him driving. I love looking over my pictures of SHR and reminiscing.

Room Tip: The cabins by the river are for couples. No family rooms by the river.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sue G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My flyfisherman husband wanted to see the Tetons and fish for cutthroat trout. We selected the Spotted Horse Ranch to stay for 5 days in September of 2012 as an Orvis approved lodge. What a lovely spot as we were shown to our own 2 room cabin. What? No TV? After day 1, we did not miss the TV. We talked to each other, chatted with other guests, read books and strolled around the ranch. We were up early for our delicious farmhouse breakfast and down to the coral for our morning ride along one of the varied trails around the ranch. A morning and afternoon ride are included each day but Thursdays. The wranglers are experienced horse people and as it turned out, great conversationalists informing us about much of the terrain and wildlife of the area. Our cabin was rustic in appearance, but the beds were very comfortable with high quality bedding. We overlooked the Hoback River right outside our door. The Ranch provided fishing gear and waders, and my husband had a successful day of float fishing on the Snake with a most knowledgable guide. Delicious sandwiches and a picnic lunch were prepared when we took off for a day trip to Yellowstone. It's a long day of driving, but goodness, the scenery, dominated by the dramatic Tetons rising straight up from Jackson Hole makes for an awe-inspiring day. We did the lower loop in Yellowstone, had dinner in Jackson and back to the cabin. The "scenic" float trip down the Snake is nice but a bit tame. Opt for the whitewater trip if you are up to it. The meals at the ranch are family style, pass the plate. Delicious, varied menu and ample quantities. Dinner follows happy hour on the deck and in the lodge. We so enjoyed meeting other guests from Europe, Canada and all over the USA. Would love to return to Spotted Horse Ranch with grandchildren in tow as it is a lovely family spot and they would love it. Thanks, Spotted horse! for a memorable trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Suzanne U
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Spotted Horse Ranch was everything we expected, and then more. The accommodations were most comfortable and cleaned daily; the meals were tasty, plentiful and timely; the cocktail time was enjoyable - time well-spent with other guests; the trail rides were spectacular with knowledgeable wranglers who ensured your time on the back of a horse was memorable. Everyone, from office staff to the clean-up crew, were pleasant and helpful. We were never pressured into riding if we weren't up to it nor any other activity. The length of rides were up to us and our limitations, up hill or flat land. The horses were well taken care of and suited for the terrain. Climbing the hills, I felt comfortable in giving my mount his head and letting him do his job!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sheila G
Atlanta
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We returned to the Spotted Horse Ranch for the second time in July and echo the other reviews here. It is a fabulous place for a family vacation. We can't say enough about the job that Kevin and the staff do to make it a special week. The wranglers and fishing guides are terrific, whether you are a beginner or expert. It is a great family atmosphere, and everyone from grandparents, to teens, to a 6 year old had the best time. it is a great place to create family memories!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

In early August 2013, we stayed at SHR for 6 days. Great experience. The customer service was terrific as well as accommodating, and the environment is just terrific. We have two boys who fly fished each day or went on long horseback rides. We will likely go back next year. Well done to Kevin and his staff!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Warrenjadams
The Carolinas
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This was my second trip to the Spotted Horse Ranch and again, it was everything, and more, than our family remembered. The food was great, the cabins just darling, the staff is super accomodating and the wranglers bent over backwards to ensure our horseback ride was perfect. We were able to have private rides regularly and couldn't wait to see more gorgeous terrain the next day. Our wrangler Chris was the nicest guy, thoughtful of our needs and always smiling.

Our family has food issues and Cheryl sweetly ensured us our requests would be taken care of, and they were!!! The two chefs, Mike & Rich, made a gluten free version of everything for one person in our family, something we were extremely grateful for. Not to mention, it was delicous, not just thrown together. Our family also celebrated a birthday while we were there and Cheryl surprised us by arranging a cake to be made to celebrate my daughters birthday. Rich was the creator of that fabulous cake and how he knew chocolate was her favorite flavor is a mystery. The whole family was delighted.

All that, plus the rodeo and the whitewater, made our 2nd visit just as much fun as the first. And watching all the children play outside in the evening reminded me of days long gone...kids nowadays play on their computer at night, so watching the different families' chldren all play together, with the wranglers joining in no less, was a refreshing experience, one we will duplicate. Thank you to all the wranglers, especially Chris and Matt.

To us, this ranch is perfect; however, If we could change anything, we'd prefer to have the river trip scheduled in the afternoon rather than in the morning - we were up early and a few of us were cold on the river. It makes more sense to do it when it's warm, but that's not a deal breaker. Just an easy fix.

Our thanks to ALL the staff for their hard work - each one of them helped us in one manner or another. And our special thanks to the housekeepers, keeping our cabin in tip-top shape, neater than some high end hotels that I've stayed. Hats off to all of you!

So if you're considering the Spotted Horse Ranch as a vacation spot, don't hesitate to get your trip scheduled. I promise, if you're social and like the outdoors, you'll love this beautiful spot (and social is critical...there is no private dining for two). To us, it's heaven on earth.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Annikaplus3
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2013

So I celebrated my 60th birthday with my wife, three grown kids and my son-in-law at the Spotted Horse Ranch and I have to say it was just perfect! This was my third experience on a dude ranch and we all agreed that the country couldn't be more beautiful, the staff more accommodating, the facilities more comfortable, or the camaraderie more infectious. The relaxed atmosphere and family styled meals led to new friendships, endless stories and plenty of laughter. The horses were healthy and manageable with more vigorous equestrian opportunities available upon request. We went to a rodeo, rafted the white water, fished for trout, and took a pack trip deep into the mountains. I highly recommend The Spotted Horse Ranch!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family