“AWESOME EXPERIENCE* (with an asterisk)”

Wyoming Balloon Company
Ranked #51 of 74 Tours in Jackson
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I would like to share my expereincewith Wyoming Balloon Company:

If you are at all debating on spending $325 a person to go on a Hot air Balloon ride, or have the slightest inckling to do something like that.... i will tell you right now, you will not look back with any regrets whatsoever.* It was the best $650 I have ever spent. Worth every penny, not scary in the least... (well maybe a tiny bit) and you will walk away from your trip saying that was the best thing you did. Do the Wyoming Balloon Company out of Jackson.. not the other company that flies out of Driggs. Reason being: you take off in the morning from either company, and the sun rises in the east.. and if you took the one in Driggs youd be blinded by the sun and only get to see an outline of the tetons, and they'd be in dark shadows.. leaving you with junky pictures.
With that being said one *Warning* about Wyoming Balloon Company:

If you are booked on a day during the week for instance, be prepared for your flight to be cancelled NOT becasue of weather or high winds but because you may be the only one scheduled and your trip will get cancelled "becasue of high winds" when in reality its getting cancelled becasue its only you and one other couple going up and they dont wanna pay ground crew and everybody invloved in the ballooning process for just 4 people. This is what happend to us.
*At 6 am on our scheduled thursday flight, I called to check in, and was told theres high winds.. (there wasnt, I went outside and checked, totally still) and our flight was cancelled... when in reality I had called a couple days prior, and asked if anyone else was scheduled to go up that day and they said only one other couple. I'm thinking, "sweet, we'll have the whole balloon almost to ourselves!"
Andy, (balloon co. owner) says to me on the phone that morning that they'll be going up the next day... and I'll enjoy it more then, becasue they'd have 2 balloons going up that day and its more fun with 2 balloons. Well... we ended up going the next day with 15 people in our Balloon. Less enjoyable i would imagine that with 2 other poeple. I understand its not cost effective to go out with only 4 people, but dont pee on my hand and tell me its rainin. Tell me the truth, tell me your trying to consolidate and you dont wanna fire up the Balloon for only 4 people.

With all that being said.... I would still have done the balloon ride.. I just think people should be aware that if you book during midweek and your the only people going up... your probably going to get cancelled on and rebooked with a large group another day.

Would have given 5 stars otherwise.

15  Thank cjmarcoski
There are newer reviews for Wyoming Balloon Company

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Although I was a little anxious about the balloon ride I soon realized that I had nothing to worry about. It was an amazing experience floating above the valley, spotting elk and deer along the way. Our pilot was great - very experienced and good company. You have to get up early to report for the balloon ride, but it was well worth it - a fabulous start to the day.

1  Thank Deborah E
Reviewed 11 August 2012

An amazing and enjoyable flight with views of the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. Our pilot was very knowledgeable of the area and even 'steered' us over to a herd of elk.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Our family of 6 took grandma(65) for her first balloon ride. It was all she wanted for her 65 bday. The rest of us were less excited but figured we could tough it out for her.

We were picked up at our location on time and driven to the field 5 minutes away.
When we arrived we were given a quick run down on the safety procedures of the balloon inflation process and how to climb in the balloon.

5 of us were crammed in one quarter of the balloon-2 adults and 3 kids. While grandma- luckily- was next to us with another couple. The balloon ride was HOT-- Cramped and LOUD! The propane tanks are really loud- the pilot offered some ear plugs but didn’t have enough for every one- Also the propane is HOT!! Every time the pilot had to blast the propane it blasted down on us too.

My daughter and I didn’t enjoy it much- but we don’t really like heights so we weren’t expecting to enjoy it- but the cramped area and the hotness made it very unpleasant for everyone. My mother (grandma) who expected it to be the highlight of her trip said “it was just ok” but “too noisy”. She definately expected to like it more.

The ride seemed to go on forever. We were only flying over a ranch near the mountains and there are only so many views you can see. We have never been on a balloon before and we were expecting a quiet ride near the mountains. The only nature we saw were the cows on the ranch below us.

If you are expecting a quiet, peaceful serene experience please know- it is not that. Some people may still like it- but we would not recommend it. Also- the gondola may be a generous size for the industry- however, we found it uncomfortably cramped.

9  Thank travelbugs920
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Today my wife and I enjoyed a flight with the Wyoming Balloon Company. Our captain, Richard, was very entertaining and full of information throughout the trip. Air ballooning is very peaceful. On the negative, the entire trip is conducted over a 2 mile by 3 mile cattle ranch along the Snake River and the mountains. My only other balloon experience was in the country and we saw a lot of wild life. That was missing on this trip. The other issue was that Richard did not rotate the basket, so people on the riverside or mountain side never has the opportunity to view the other side. Baloon trips are costly to support the crew, equipment and landing fees to property owners, but its well worth it in the right environment.

4  Thank WorldTravlerNaplesFL