“best experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“best experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

wether you are by yourself, with your children or your significant other: this one is a MUST DO! we enjoyed it to the max. the guides are very knowledgeable, friendly, attentive. the dogs are so friendly and they really want to run! it's amazing how much fun they have running. take the full day package: it will not disappoint. you ride on the sled (which you can try driving) for an hour or so into the most spectacular scenery, arrive at the Granite Hot Springs (bring your bathing suit and get in. amazing!) afterwards the guides will come and get you for lunch, served outside, picnic style: appetizer is melted brie, crackers and sliced apples. main course a chicken stew inside a bread bowl (really yummy!). they offer you choice of beverages: coffee, tea, apple cider and hot cocoa. dessert are your pick of chocolates. when you are stuffed and sated you head back in the sled with the dogs. it is one the most memorable moments of my/our life. TRULY SPECIAL. although price might seem steep, they have thought of everything. worth the money, the value, the experience. and in the end, if they have puppies: you get to see them and hold them!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank mkd_travelmania

BRIDGTON
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Day Trip, Dog Sled to Hot Springs, Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Courtney was our lead guide and she loves what she is doing and everything is reflected in her love for the dogs and showing the riders and drivers how to have a good time in what they are doing, whether it is riding in the sled, riding on the back rail with the driver, or driving it all by yourself. I did all 3 as I have driven before but this outfit has more respect for their dogs and ALL are Alaskan Huskies controlled by the guides that take care of them all of the time.
We arrived at the Granite Hot Springs after 10 miles in, took a hot soak, dressed and had a bread bowl of beef stew or Chilli. Did I mention that it was a blizzard that day with snow coming down coming and going and making it look like a winter wonderland. Lunch was at a picnic table under the trees. What more could you ask for, scenery, good food, and friends, new and old.
Wonderfull day and highly recommended.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Nancy M
Atlanta, Georgia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Bathing Suit & Hand-Warmers in One Amazing Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Our full-day tour to the Granite Hot Springs was the most exhilarating, pleasurable, and unique experiences of our many travels worldwide.

To avoid repetition from other reviewers, I offer:

1.) You must be somewhat 'thick skinned' about the dogs. These are feral animals who eat and sleep outdoors in exceedingly harsh conditions. They are not anything like your pet dog at home. They occasionally get disciplined and are treated by the pack leader (guide) accordingly. They are bred for to do this. They thrive on the labor and intensity of it all.

2.) The guides are seasonal migrant workers. They must learn the craft, host tours, then go on to other work elsewhere off-season. It was clear to us that this is extremely laborious for them to coordinate. They answered our many inquiries with pleasure and prepared and served a spectacular lunch for us. If there weren't people learning the craft, such tours wouldn't exist. We felt it very appropriate to give a 20%+ gratuity to our wonderful guide who was patient with our foibles and allowed us many stops for photos which he was always kind to offer to take of us.

3.) If cost is a deterrent, make it happen...somehow. We were in Jackson to ski, and have seen similar tours offered near other ski resorts in the region. This tour is a cut above. The state park location is unbeatable and the hot springs is a delightful turn-around point so you get more than a mere line of travel and back. Although the tour was very expensive, the cost to maintain the dogs is extraordinary, and they don't prematurely euthanize the dogs. They incur the cost of the dogs' lives past retirement or injury. The beef stew is with a mention too--rustic, warms the body, so fitting to enjoy in that setting.

We will budget for this tour on our return to Jackson Hole. We are happy to support these amazing hosts who toil to maintain these dogs and the sport. Incredible!

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Azua
Elkhart, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
“Dog sled ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

What a wonderful and breathtaking experience. Words can not begin to describe not only what I saw but how I felt as I was sledding with the dogs! I'd go again in a heart beat.

Visited January 2014
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
420 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 709 helpful votes
“Even better than expected, despite...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We got picked up at 8:15 AM as promised and, with 6 others, made it through the snow and wind down to Granite Creek. The driver was friendly, informative and a good winter driver. At the Tour location, like one previous reviewer, the van couldn't make it up the last slippery hill. Forgive me if I didn't find the trek up less than 50 yards of snowy driveway to be all that arduous. I didn't expect a dog sled tour in the middle of Wyoming winter to be a day of pampering. If you can't handle snow, wind, slogging through snow, and/or the natural smell of dogs, perhaps you should go to a pet-free spa in the Caribbean.
The gathering room was a little smelly, as it is also a feeding, cleaning and isolation room for the dogs. I've smelled worse kennels. We were briefed and then ushered to the next building to get any necessary change of boots or supplemental clothing. I didn't feel the least bit rushed as everything was optional unless you came truly unprepared for the cold and snow.
Back in the first building, we met our guides. Ours was Stacey, who was energetic, fun, friendly, informative and generally a pleasure to be with for our all-day tour of 20 miles.
I rode in the sled on the way out, intending to switch with my wife at Granite Springs. She rode the runners with Stacey. It was cold, with snow and wind that had us close to whiteout several times before clearing. I alone weigh over 250 lbs, and I felt sorry for the dogs but they clearly love their work, even when working harder uphill or through fresh snow. BTW, running behind the sled to assist the dogs is a normal part of a musher's life. There was an eagerness and excitement in them all the way. Besides, it was clear that Stacey was the type of dog-lover who would not be doing this if she thought the dogs were the least bit unhappy. My wife and I are dog-lovers also and, if we weren't absolutely certain that the dogs were healthy and happy, we wouldn't have gone here. Keep in mind that her husband won a humanitarian award from the Iditarod for his care of his dogs. Is riding in the sled uncomfortable? Not really. It's confined but, with a bad back, I actually enjoyed the sensation of the rolling snow underneath. Cold? Of course it's cold! Your outside in Wyoming winter!
The stop at Granite Hot Springs was special. Swimming in the spring-fed pool was relaxing, and changing in and out of swimsuits while keeping a little warm and keeping clothes dry was a fun challenge. Afterward, the mushers set up a delicious outdoor lunch of crackers and brie, hot beverages, bread bowl stew, and huckleberry cordials.
Unfortunately, during the stop, a managed to pop my knee and wrench my back - my own clumsiness. I tried riding the runners on the way back, but I lasted about 500 yards. The worst part of the day was having to sit in the sled on the way back. Apparently I've become delicate with age. We started back in warm sunlight, but found the snow, wind and cold about 3/4 of the way back and the dogs really had to work several times. Were they unhappy? Dogs are smart. Our team knew darn well that I was part of their load, yet most of them greeted me like a long-lost friend when we ended the ride. It is worth mentioning that JHI dogs live out their years here when they retire, cared for as valued family.
A stop to return supplemental clothing, get hot beverages, and but t-shirts, and our van took a load of happy people back to town. My only complaint, besides my own infirmities, was that we couldn't meet Frank, the owner. We saw him on the trail though. I enjoyed myself, and I know my wife was pleased and proud to have ridden the back of a dog sled for almost the entire 20 miles!
Beverages and food are provided for free.
Do this!