“JDP16”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“JDP16”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel is off the main highway but easy enough to find. It is necessary to drive into town but parking there is not too difficult. The hotel is clean and very impressive. Our room was spacious and very well furnished, bed comfortable, bathroom of adequate size and the room was quiet. Housekeeping was excellent. Parking is ample though a late arrival will have to park at the rear. The pool is part inside/part outside but there were several children about so a good swim was not feasible. Climbing bears are dotted around the hotel to add amusement. Breakfast comprises hot and cold buffet with lots of choice. Occasionally supply could not keep up with demand but only temporarily. The main breakfast area seemed full until you realise there are two other areas available.There was a surfeit of children, several of whom would run unsupervised around the breakfast area -not the hotel's fault, bad parenting. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The price was not exorbitant but more than I expected. I presume that is the going rate for a good hotel in Jackson. Our plan was to commute for three days to Yellowstone Park till we discovered it takes about 2 hours just to get to the Park. Next time we will stay in Jackson for a few days - which is a really lovely town- and enjoy it; we would also stay at this hotel.

1 Thank JDP16
Stacey B, General Manager at The Lodge at Jackson Hole, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, detailed review. We would love to have you back anytime! July & August is family time in JH as visiting the area's National Parks is a family vacation not to be missed. Once school starts back up, everything quiets down a bit which might be of interest to some travelers. Jackson is a world class destination even without a visit to our amazing parks - come back & stay awhile. There's so much to see & do & our elite concierge staff would be thrilled to help you arrange the perfect stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Thai first
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel has a lot of potential - it is either new or recently renovated, well equipped, neat and clean. The biggest challenge we found as a family is that many of the employees seem to have an attitude that they wish they were elsewhere starting with the woman at the front desk who checked us in. Given we paid (prepaid several months in advance actually) over $400 to stay here, I was a little disappointed with her attitude - I never understand why hotels put employees like this in a position to fail at arguably the most important position in the hotel. I get it - tour bus just finished unloading, people looking for help, directions, recommendations, etc. I would just urge management at this hotel to reconsider how travelers view this. I am Marriott Platinum so I stay at hotels all the time and I get a nicer welcome at a SpringHill Suites than I got here. I know everyone has a bad day or needs a break and if that is the case, get someone else out front to help, but leave the attitude elsewhere. I noticed similar with housekeeping staff who didn't make eye contact or acknowledge guests as they passed them in the hall - not really an overly welcoming environment. Thankfully there were some nicer employees around during our one night stay including the bellman, Marc who was very kind, another front desk employee (Marcus? I believe) who was great, and the head bartender (again sorry, can't remember the name) who was great to talk to and made an awesome dinner recommendation. Unfortunate that a few bad apples spoil the way you view a place but when you encounter more than one that to me is an indication of a bigger issue and that falls squarely on management's shoulders.

All that said - the rooms are very nice and fairly spacious - my kids loved the 3D TV and actually stayed in and watched a movie and ate pizza while my wife and I went out. The beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms are big and clean and nicely appointed. The pool, while not really special, is well set up with both an indoor and outdoor option and two hot tubs, one indoor and one out (which felt great after a day of hiking!) and they had a well equipped workout room. Breakfast is included, is buffet style, and we found it to be quite good (though they seemed slow to replenish a few things).

Overall this wasn't a terrible experience though the initial employee experience set the tone for me I am afraid and I couldn't get past it (again the importance of first impressions). I did have an employee tell me that they get tour busses almost every day so other guests should be aware. For the price I paid it was not a particularly great value given I considered what we pay more midtown Manhattan pricing. Great rooms are worth a lot but with great rooms should come great customer service across the board and that was not the case here. This place could be a really nice spot, though, with a little employee training. All in all for the fairly high price we paid, however, I would probably look at other options if we were to come back.

Room Tip: Only one elevator and it is fairly slow though easily accessible stairs from the lobby to the second...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Bill M
Dear Mr. M,
Management places the utmost importance on a warm welcome & I am so sorry to hear that my staff failed you on that account...please know that the matter has been addressed. I am lucky to have a dedicated, sincere & friendly staff that generally delights in helping visitors make the absolute most of their time here in Jackson. It is extremely rare that I have to write this sort of response - again, my apologies. It sounds like you packed a lot into your 1 night stay and I am pleased that you found the Lodge itself up to standard. I am also glad that Marc (bell), Mason (front desk) & Niels (bar) were on point. Summer is high season in JH and rates are at their peak - a shop around will quickly illustrate the great value our guests enjoy. If you do return to Jackson, and we hope that you do, please consider giving us another chance - we'll make sure you don't regret it.
Lakeside, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a week long vacation for our family of four. Rooms offer no privacy from living area and bed area, pictures on web were misleading. Refrigerator is really a beverage cooler and does not keep foods at proper temp. Located on edge of town. No views from room, other than parking lot. Breakfasts were delicious, however same menu every morning for a week got old. Airport pick up was efficient and complimentary. Nice for a weekend away in Jackson, did not work well for our week long family vacation. For the price and website info I expected more

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Rachel H
Our 400 square foot guestrooms are set up studio-style with a spacious marble bathroom to the left or right before entering the room proper. We are conveniently located in the middle of town about 1 mile from the Town Square. Our hotel is tastefully landscaped & surrounded by ample and free parking which is to be expected at an in-town location. A minute or two drive in any direction opens up to amazing views. The Lodge is perfect for guests who want the best of both worlds: modern, urban amenities at the foot of natural splendor. We wish that we had been better able to meet your family's particular needs & hope that you had a great week out & about in Jackson Hole. We urge all prospective guests to call the hotel directly so that we can answer any & all questions & assure that they are selecting the perfect room arrangement for their individual needs.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Our family stayed at the Lodge this past June and had a great experience. The front desk service we received was excellent. And the complimentary breakfast is fantastic; one of the better free breakfast's we've had. Our kids loved the indoor/outdoor pool. I enjoyed getting hot chocolate in the evening.

We loved the room, beautiful beds and a great office space in the corner. If I had one complaint, it was that our A/C unit was a bit buggy. We couldn't quite get the temperature right during our three night stay. It never bothered me enough to contact the front desk.

Great hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 23 July 2014

In Jackson Hole for a wedding at one of several hotels reserved for this purpose. Desk clerk very abrupt, telling my wife that pets were not allowed but that he would make an exception for me, not giving directions until the credit card cleared, indicating where the downtown area was relative to the hotel "where your wife could spend your money," etc. Somewhat unexpected in a hotel with a standard room rate of $350+ a night. Hotel itself was nice, but clearly hotel management has some work to do training and supervising their employees. Other guests complained of similar problems on check-in

4 Thank Eric611
Stacey B, General Manager at The Lodge at Jackson Hole, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
One of the most dedicated, sincere, hardworking & appreciated members of my front desk team just came into my office holding your review & said "i give up on having any sort of personality whatsoever" and he meant it. Your "quotes" and recollections are not entirely accurate and you certainly confused the agent's sense of humor with rudeness. I do prefer that my staff remain individuals rather than training them to be reception robots reading from a script. I am truly sorry that you took such offense to what, I promise you, was meant to be a light-hearted welcome. Your opinion has very much been taken to heart. 99% of the overwhelming feedback I receive about this agent is positive, so I am going to give him a break on this one. I am glad that you found our Lodge to be nice & hope that you enjoyed Jackson Hole & the wedding that you attended.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We only stayed here one night -- how I wish it had been longer! The hotel is so beautiful, the pool is awesome (to look at, we didn't get to go in tho), the rooms spacious and comfortable. The free breakfast was very good with lots of selections. Our only complaint -- open the pool longer (people are on vacation and busy sightseeing -- I think the pool hours should be 6am-11pm this way you can swim beofre or after your long day of sightseeing!). Would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank JMSPennsylvania
Southampton
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is as advertised on website with wonderful indoor/outdoor pool. Friendly staff and excellent buffet breakfast. One of the top 3 hotels of the 16 we stayed in.

Shuttle bus to Jackson which is an acquired taste.

Please see our review of the Gun Barrel Steak & Game House which is literally only 2 mins round corner on foot!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Hotel Jackson
Hotel Jackson
#3 of 40 in Jackson
Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa - A Noble House Resort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole

Been to The Lodge at Jackson Hole? Share your experiences!