“Better lakes elsewhere”
Review of Plains Lakes

Ranked #22 of 41 things to do in Laramie
More attraction details
Owner description: Series of lakes just outside Laramie; popular for boating, windsurfing and fishing.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Though the lakes in Snowy Range are remarkable. Plains lakes are small with few or no trees and the wind is always blowing, so you will have privacy and a few fish. They are everywhere so seeing one won't take you off course for long, take a look, everything is worth a look. But have a backup plan.

1  Thank callytd1973

Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

During the fall and early winter the surrounding lakes are great for duck and goose hunting. Fishing is steady year round. As Long as you have cocer from the Wyoming wind ice fishing the plans lakes can be entertaining.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Giving this location a poor rating too keep this Gem away from the sight of too many tourist on route to the Snowy Range. Its a snow fed and spring fed lake with limited boating. Lake Hatie is the biggest and most popular primarily with windsurfers. Before the windsurfers showed up these lakes weren;t very popular except for the local fishermen who very familiar with the
hot spots for brown and rainbow trout. The smaller lakes have natural cover for fresh water shrimp and the fish can get quite big.

I was stationed at Warren AFB and mantained residence there for 4 years. I became very familiar with these lakes and always worried that tourist, particularly those from Colorado would spoil these resources. Unfortunately its attracted some unsavory types who don;t concern themselves with maintaining the ruggedness and beauty of the area.

The lakes aren;t really postcard beautiful but beneath the waters is some fantastic fishing, air is pure and stars are bright. Please folks if you come and visit take only pictures, memmories, non trophy fish and leave only footprints.

4  Thank edinstk
A TripAdvisor Member
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 7 June 2003

I love Lake Hattie, the fishing is great. On the other hand I do have a couple of grips, !) I hate all the litter in this area it is a shame that nobody respects the privleges given. Yes, I know they purchased a fishing permit or boat permit but this does not allow anybody to be careless or just dirty pigs. I will say that I do pick up litter that I see, hoping it will make a differance to somebody. 2) I was fishing the lake one day when to my shock a truck pulling a camper stoped behind a friend and I, the man inside stared at us for the longest time while His dog ran in and out of our fishing tackle and lines. I finally became angry and chucked a rock towards the dog, the man got out came and talked a bit then asked " Can you and your friend move to another spot, your truck is in the way of My camping spot?" Wow, I said "Your camping spot?" He replied "Yes, I camp her every weekend and want to camp here again ." More was said but you get the point. He was from colorado and since then I get ill seeing all the colorado plates littering wonderful Wyoming parks, campground and lakes!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 6 February 2003

I went over to Lake Soda Green the other day with my brother, it was the first time i have been ice fishing there but i was told what to use by some of the other locols. We used red and wight jigs with a red led head, but what was makeing them bite was the mill worms we put on the hook. All to gether we caught 22 rainbows in about three hours. any where on the shor about 10 to 15 feet out is the spot.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member