“Overpriced and dirty”

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Laramie
Elko, Nevada
“Overpriced and dirty”
Reviewed 3 August 2006

We visited Laramie for a wedding with many of our family members arriving after we did. The hotel recommended to all of us was bad, so we opted to move. This place looked OK on initial inspection, so we changed hotels and reserved rooms for other family members. I wish we would have looked a little closer.

They claim to have wifi Internet access. This is only barely true. There are about 2 rooms in the whole place that have wifi access and it works quite poorly, is not supported at all, and frequently stops working altogether. I am a very savvy wifi user and actually run a series of wifi networks for a living so you can believe I know what I'm talking about. Business travelers should avoid this place.

The rooms are comfortable enough. Some are remodeled, some are not. If you stay here, make sure you get a remodeled one. The bad news is that the supposedly wifi capable rooms are not remodeled.

The prices are pretty high for the age of the motel. We were quoted $89 for single, $99 for double due to the size of our group, but the rates go up to about $130 per night. One of our group was actually stuck with a $130 rate "because he didn't have a reservation", even though none of us did and we told them it would be an unknown number of people staying with the wedding party. They wouldn't back down on this, either. Very, very poor customer service, considering the number of rooms we paid for.

The pool is clean and pretty nice. The hot tub is also nice.

There is a Mexican restaraunt on the property. I must say, I've eaten at a lot of Mexcian restaruants, and this was the best food/service/price combination I've ever experienced. The bad news is that it's independent of the hotel and they are moving a few doors up soon, judging by their new building under construction.

The hotel staff was pretty polite, but not terribly customer service oriented.

The rooms are definitely not cleaned very well at all. One gets the impression that this property might be an investment gone wrong. It is very understaffed and everything is about as cheaply done as possible, especially the maid service.

They do provide a continental breakfast, but it's pretty spartan. It consisted of coffee, milk, dry cereal, bagels, oatmeal, and occasionally fruit. There was no microwave. I don't expect much from these sorts of breakfasts, but this was pretty sad compared to most I've seen.

Overall, I would not recommend this place and would certainly never stay there again.

• Liked — The pool and spa
  • Disliked — Very unclean
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Newcastle, Wyoming
Reviewed 16 July 2006

I stayed in this motel for college graduation in May and so we paid a premium price for the room (even after AARP discount). The rooms are adequate, but had shabby bed coverings (looked like a bottle of bleach had fallen on one of the bedspreads). Toiletries are of very low budget (tear open bags of shampoo) which I can't understand as their nightly prices don't reflect the need for this. The carpet was not clean either. Their continental breakfast in the morning was very dismal. They have several cereals, bagels, english muffins, juice and the like. Both the bagels and English muffins were soggy as could be as if they had been frozen and left over night in the bags to thaw. Yuck!! I'd rather they knock off from the price of the motel and forget this disgusting attempt at breakfast. I did mention my disappointment with the accommodations and breakfast at the front desk when we checked out. I was not even given an "I'm sorry that you found your stay not to your liking" or a simple "I'm sorry." I was pretty much ignored. The motel itself is not the worst I've stayed in, but the poor customer service and ammenties were less than desirable, and I would definitely avoid staying here again!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank arby70
Brookings
Reviewed 26 September 2005

Stayed in this hotel for a convention at the University. Upon entering our room, we noticed that either the previous occupants of the room or possibly the cleaning staff had thrown something away and missed the garbage receptacle. There were also left-over food items (popcorn, candy pieces) on the floor under the bed. Cleaning service was not given at all on two of the three days we stayed. In addition to all that, there were rings of dust around the room where the vacuum could not reach, and what appeared to be blood stains on one of the beds.

Empoyees of this hotel seemed incredibly lethargic, and we found one gal actually falling asleep at the front desk. I would not recommend this hotel, and they will not be getting our business again!

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank Whirled_Travels
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 September 2004

The Motel presents well and offers a very fine adjacent restaurant. However, the floor coverings in some areas exposed to water such as the Hot Tub room and the bathroom were tiled with a glossy, slippery tile; the bathroom in a shiny white tile floor covering.

Adding to safety concerns is the fact that the shower water temperature may fluctuate suddenly to very hot while showering. This is a hazard.
Therefore, sudden movements because of the hot water increases the likelihood of falling, which I did. Fortunately, I fell out of the tub rather than under the scalding hot water. Still I sustained a painful injury which compromised my mobility for the duration of my travel trip and several weeks after.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 July 2003

We were in Branson, Missouri and stayed at 1st Inn Gold. We were very satisfied and pleased with our room and the accomodations.

Their breakfast is very satisfactory.

We have no complaints and will stay at 1st Inn Gold whenever it is available on our trips.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member