“A Western Dream” 5 of 5 bubbles

Vee Bar Guest Ranch
Merrimack, New Hampshire, United States
“A Western Dream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband and I spent 3 wonderful days on the Vee Bar Ranch.as part of our ten day trip to Wyoming. One of the nice features is that three day stays are available vs. a full week. We really enjoyed the horseback riding, especially the cattle drive and overnight camp out. Everyone we met was extremely friendly and helpful. A special thank you to Tom, one of the wranglers, who entertained us with his colorful stories and personality. The Vee Bar Ranch is lucky to have him. We highly reccommend a stay at the ranch, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Minden, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

My wife Jane and I had never stayed on a guest ranch and my wife had never ridden a horse, boy were we in for an experience. We stayed 6 days and loved all the food and activities, there was always something to do. What really makes the Vee Bar special is the staff, they make you part of the family during the stay. Its a great getaway and you will make memories here that last a lifetime.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Riverside Suites for location next to the Lodge and newer construction.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We have stayed quite a few times at Vee Bar Guest Ranch for weekends, but this was our first weeklong experience. I wish we would have done it sooner. It was the type of vacation everyone should be able to experience. The staff welcomes you as one of the family and you leave feeling like one. Brent and Kari have every detail covered to make your week memorable, and there is no pressure to participate when you don't feel like joining in.

Activities include twice-daily horseback rides (no riding in a straight line down the trail here. You are free to "stretch out" with your horse during rides across the breathtaking landscapes), team penning, overnight camp outs, cattle work, wagon rides, BBQ dinners on the island, hikes in the Snowy Mountains ( just minutes down the road and beautiful), and excursions into Laramie. River tubing, hot tubbing, live music in the John Wayne Saloon, trapshooting, fly fishing, trails on the property for hikes (where I was greeted by mule deer, antelope, prairie dogs, and bald eagles), movie under the stars, Golden Horseshoe Awards, etc........we were never at a loss for something to do, but were able to enjoy the ranch at our own pace.

It is evident that the employees love working at the Vee Bar. The wranglers, Carolyn, Larson, Tommy and Tucker made sure everyone was comfortable on their horse and kept a close eye on the kids. We really enjoyed our lively conversations on horseback. Brent gave every rider guidance and assistance, in a gentle manner, to make riding safe and fun. And Tommy.....what can you say about Tommy......true cowboy spirit! And the stories he shares! Make sure you ride next to him for a bit. The dining room experience was outstanding. Dale and Ryan are magicians in the kitchen, and created delicious meals that never disappointed.. Did I gain a few pounds?? Salads, steaks, salmon, pasta, veggies, breads, sandwiches and desserts. Mmmmm! Dining room staff were courteous, efficient and genuine; always ready with a smile. And Victoria's yummy sugar cookies are available 24-7. Yes!

The Riverside Suite we stayed in was so cozy and comfortable.....we left the front door open at night so we could be lulled to sleep by the Little Laramie River. The chairs in front on the boardwalk made a great place for morning coffee and a good book. (And the washer and dryer came in handy after days of riding.) Peaceful and serene in the evening. Don't forget to stargaze. You won't believe what you can see!

Brent, Kari, Bailey, Kelly, Lisa and Lefty......the entire Cole family has figured out how to give their guests a true western ranch experience at Vee Bar Guest Ranch. Nothing phony or pretentious here. You arrive as guests and leave as family. Thank you for a great week! See you in October!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We were going to Laramie Wyoming for Summer Orientation as our son will be a student there come August and I decided that the family could benefit from a Dude Ranch experience. My husband is French (and didn't really understand what a Dude Ranch was) and our three children are typical teenagers e.g. hard to please. I had memories of when my parents took us to a Dude Ranch some 40 years ago and wanted to recreate this for my family - by when we landed at the Denver Airport, where the surrounding area looks much like a wasted plain, and everyone was looking at me with that "this better be good..." look, I started to wonder if I had taken too big of a risk....

I can tell you that the Vee Bar turned out to be the best family vacation we have ever had. Everyone loved every minute - except of course the day we had to leave. The "Dudes" turned out to be very pretty young cowgirl wranglers, to the delight of my teenage boys and the activities (great horse rides over very different terrain, clay pigeon shooting, outdoor movie night, overnight camping in teepees, river inner tube racing, hot tub, dancing, hay rides, etc.) kept everyone busy and happy.

The family and staff were simply the nicest people you would want to meet. You felt like you were with family (the ones that you enjoy being with of course!!). You can tell that everyone who works on the Vee Bar is there because they love the ranch - and this really makes a difference.

Don't let the price fool you, it is worth every penny and you will not regret it. As my husband said, it is the first time he paid such a bill with such a happy heart. He said it was worth every "centime"!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

The food was great, the accomodations comfortable and the Cole family and staff are welcoming and professional. Mr. Cole took me out shooting 1 day and he is as personable and genuine as advertised. I still have my Vee Bar Ranch mug and I am transported back to another place and time everytime I look at it.

If you are a fussy fuddy duddy, just stay home.
If you like nature, horses, dogs, and wide open country, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We had a cabin on the water and enjoyed it.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I spent a week this summer at the Veebar Ranch and had a fantastic time. The staff made sure everyone felt like family and no detail was missed. The horseback riding was fun, I came with no experience and felt safe and comfortable at all times. And, come ready to eat, because the food is outstanding!

Room Tip: Cabins are on the river.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank A D
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Over the past 10yrs we have stayed at a number of different ranches in the USA & Canada, many of which were of a high standard, the VeeBar tops them all. From the warm welcome we received through to our departure all aspects of our holiday were superb. Great horses great wranglers great food and great hosts. If you like ranche holidays you'll love the VeeBar. Well done the VeeBar gang we'll be back at the earliest opportunity.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laramie
Old Corral Hotel
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Laramie - University of Wyoming
Holiday Inn Laramie
Holiday Inn Laramie
#3 of 19 in Laramie

Been to Vee Bar Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!