“Waste of money!”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cavalryman Steakhouse is located on the grounds of historic Fort Sanders, established in July of 1866. In its heyday, the Fort Sanders Military Reservation protected the Overland and Lodgepole Creek emigrant routes, the Denver-Salt Lake City stage route, and the construction crews for the Union Pacific Railroad. Ruins of the fort’s powder keg are visible just southwest of the restaurant’s main building. The Cavalryman building was constructed in 1925 to serve as the clubhouse for the local country club. Just to the east, remnants of the nine-hole golf course can still be found.
Naperville, Illinois
“Waste of money!”
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 came to this restaurant one week ago in high hopes of having a very nice, high quality dinner- as the menu prices reflect. Wow- were we disappointed. Every step of the dining process, something went wrong. First, we ordered calamari, and were told, 20 min. after ordering it that it is frozen and would not be ready until our dinners were to be served. So, my children and us adults were upset with that news. Then, my husband orders the prime rib, as it's supposed to be a house specialty- we were there early, by 6pm, and were told, again 15 min. after we placed the order that they are out of that steak, and that they "would do anything to make it right", so he orders another steak off the menu, at a lesser price than the prime rib. I ordered a filet that was the size of the palm of my hand, and I have small hands. There were char marks all over the top of it. Not seasoned, and not tasty. The mashed potatoes were nothing special, then they serve this buttery mess of wilted - vegetables should I call them? Unappetizing to say the least! This equals $19? I don't think so. I can get a better and larger and more delicious filet from Outback Steakhouse. The kids meals were small- but not much to say about them. Then my daughter wanted to have a piece of blueberry cheesecake. She saw people ordering it all night and asked if she could get dessert because it looked so good. She ordered that only to be told minutes later that they were out of it. Here we are - a family of 5, on vacation states away from our home - going to try an establishment that sounded like it had much to offer, only to be highly disappointed. The manager came over, and gave the "oh, geez I'm sorry" line, and you would think the steak would be compensated? No, they let my daughter pick another $5 dessert, on the house. Big deal! That is no way to run a business!
My advice, spend your money on a nice steak dinner elsewhere. I should have looked at Tripadvisor before going there.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank jt45
The_Cavalryman_II, Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thanks for visiting, and we apologize for your less than stellar experience. Sometimes things go wrong despite all the best intentions. The night you visited was the first that our head chef didn't work in more than three months. Our kitchen staff had a few hiccups during prep that caused them to not have the calamari defrosted at the beginning of service and the prime rib to not be ready right on time (although it was ready 15 minutes after you asked for it). We also had a surprisingly busy night, so our blueberry cheesecake sold out early.

We've been working to better control our inventory, prep and cooking procedures, and we're looking forward to getting those controls and processes in place so that our consistency continues to improve.

Our manager did not comp your steaks because you ate all of them. Normally, we will comp for meals that people do not like when they do not eat them.

That said, next time you're through Laramie, we'd welcome another opportunity to show you what we can REALLY do.

Newton, ia
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We should have taken a clue from the empty parking lot. The $12 smoked salmon appetizer was well plated but tasted like canned. The salads were probably the best part of the meal but were nothing out of the ordinary. The dry, hard, baked potatoes were completely inedible. The steaks were mediocre. The fried shrimp was so greasy I had to request paper napkins for drainage. Even the vegetables were undercooked. The service wasn't great either, given that we were the only customers in the place. The first thing our server did was pour water down my leg while filling our glasses. Accidents happen, but honestly, everything about this was a terrible experience! She knew we were unhappy with the food but either didn't relay that to the manager or he didn't care. He walked through the room several times while we were there but never stopped to check on us. Don't waste your money!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kim B
The_Cavalryman_II, Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
We understand our server had a mishap, and we apologize, but we cannot agree regarding the quality of the food or service we provided to you.

The salmon being served right now is wild-caught. It was prepared by a chef hand-picked and trained by one of the top sushi chefs in the US. She marinated it overnight, then smoked it with hickory chips. It is all natural, not canned or preprocessed.

Our salads are spectacular, from our Devil's Tower-inspired roasted beet salad (with spiced nuts and blue cheese) to our authentic Caesar's salad to our traditional blue cheese "wedge". Each is prepared fresh to order by a special cook.

We offer a range of steaks across a range of price and quality, from a $12 steak "sandwich" (ribeye served open faced with gravy) to an $18 "every day" ribeye to $39 dry aged and grass fed beef and bison steaks. Our best steaks are upper choice and prime grade - there is no better beef available except Wagyu style.

Our food is the highest quality available in Laramie, and on par with good restaurants in any location. Despite that, we have been able to dramatically lower prices.

Our server, Nicole, is one of our best - attentive and responsible. Our restaurant manager reportedly visited with you twice during your meal to discuss the mishap and your overall experience, and you conveyed no complaints.

We're very sorry that you apparently did not enjoy your meal at the Cavalryman, and we would welcome the chance to earn your support.
Laramie, Wyoming
“Probably the best food in Laramie”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Probably the best food in Laramie. No pretentiousness, just great. I go here for my birthday every year. Never been let down. Great food, people, drinks, view. I guess the new owners must be serious about good food and it's need in Laramie. Just look at my other reviews. I've eaten at many places in 48 states, Puerto Rico and the 'nam. I feel that bad food can't be disguised as good food and great it'll never be. I eat sometimes at 3 restaurants a day for at least 20 years. Believe me. My taste buds love it here.

• Visited April 2013
We are honored that you celebrated your birthday with us and glad that you had an excellent experience!

We have been stubborn in our dedication to fresh, high quality ingredients (vs. the frozen, pre-portioned food available in most other places) despite the cost, and appreciate you noticing.

See you again soon!
Jackson, Wyoming
“Great Improvement. The weal was fine”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My wife and I tried the restaurant again after a friend said that she went there and things had really changed and was she ever right. The minority owners bought out whoever and made great changes. There is no ala carte menu anymore. With our meal we got the battered mushrooms, done right, not soggy like before, a nice salad, a choice of a side, vegetables, done correctly, and our main course. Prices have come way down. 8 oz prime rib was $17 and my steak not much more. The service was good, we had different people at our table, everything went well. The wine list is small but adequate and reasonably priced. We'll be back and with luck so will others. Finally a nicer place to eat when in Laramie.

• Visited May 2013
Thanks for giving us another try! We are working hard to provide a proper Wyoming steakhouse experience - with friendly staff, affordable prices (although we do have some special meals that are high priced for people celebrating special occasions), and consistently high food and service quality.

Look forward to seeing you again soon!
Eagle River, Alaska
“Great!”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

After reading the other reviews, I was not sure about giving this a try, but we're visiting Laramie for the first time so wanted to try to something local. We weren't disappointed - great food, great service, reasonable time to get our food even with a really large group right ahead of us. And fun atmosphere for a steakhouse. Management must be working to fix the issues other reviewers have identified.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank AkFlowers
The_Cavalryman_II, Manager at Cavalryman Steakhouse, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
We're glad you enjoyed yourself! The restaurant has made substantial strides in food and service quality and consistency. We still have lots of work to do, but we're certainly as good or better now as any other restaurant in town. And we're loving getting the local history back into the place! If you'd like to keep current with our progress, like us on facebook.

We've just soft launched our new, lower priced menu that is focused on providing local and regional beef, as well as bison and other mountain steakhouse traditional food. And we're expanding and improving our nightly feature menu to include daily fresh fish and creative, funky seasonal chef features.

Look forward to seeing you in Laramie again soon!