“Food is excellent but atmosphere is poor”
Review of J’s Steakhouse - CLOSED

J’s Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Thankfully we had the address of the restaurant, because if you were just looking for the restaurant in the general area, you would not find it. There is no signage on the building itself, and the outside looks abandoned. Once inside, the walls are bare, there is no decor and it clearly is designed to resemble the former pancake house it used to be. However, we were a party of 18 people and only made a reservation hours before, so grateful for the space. There was only one other party in the restaurant at the time. The menu is rich with beef options but bare for vegetarians and no pasta dishes. The beef was excellent and a variety of selections were ordered. I had the Prime Rib, and enjoyed my salad and side as much. The service was very good and we did not have too long of a wait for our food, despite being a party of 18. The staff was attentive and the drinks were flowing. I would rate the overall experience higher if it wasn't so lacking character, ambiance, and atmosphere. Also, the prices are very reasonable - for the quality of meat on the menu, can't beat it.

1  Thank Lauren H

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our party of three arrived at dinner time, there were a dozen or more empty tables and two or three that had guests. Even so, the service during the meal was abysmal.

The food quality was not too great, either. The steamed vegetables that I ordered with my steak were cold upon their arrival. (They replaced them, but even that took a while.) My steak was overdone and tough. I decided not to request a replacement because it had taken so long to get the initial order.

Beverages were never re-filled unless we asked specifically; and even then we had to ask two or three times to get a coffee refill.

I do not anticipate returning to J's. I would go to one of the national chains that is in town and order a steak.

1  Thank rjgosselin
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We visited this restaurant the first week it opened and it took 1.5 hours to get our dinner. To their credit, the place was completely packed & had been. We visited a few months later for Father's Day and experienced an hour wait time for our food.
Order was not intricate: eggs, hashbrowns, and prime rib (which was already cooked, just needed sliced).
The steaks are cooked correctly but tasteless.
Service is ok - slow for water refills and check being brought.
overall, just OK. Given the lack of improvement in wait time and price point on the high side; I doubt we will return.

1  Thank Wyopooh
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Customer service was excellent and the food was delicious. It was reasonable priced considering I had fish seared with olive oil, lobster tail and rice. My husband had the steak dinner and the portion was generous. I would definitely return to this restaurant.

2  Thank kauia4ever
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Once driving from Baker City, OR and getting checked-in at a nearby hotel, a hot dinner was in order. We were in Laramie a few days earlier and a hotel clerk recommended we try J’s Steakhouse. We arrived quite late on a Tuesday evening, but J’s were still open. It was very slow as you’d expect and the staff was beginning to clean up some of the dining areas.

Both tables and booths are available giving J’s a family-oriented look, of not much appeal. Bread was served as we looked over the menu and wine and beer were ordered -- Michelob Amber Bock on-tap.

Dad ordered a Strip Steak and I a Rib Steak. Several choices of side dishes are offered. Both our meals were quite good, but not fantastic. Prices were average for family-oriented restaurants and the service was adequate, but it was late.