“Go here for the traditional and the unique both!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sweets Cakes & Pastry

Sweets Cakes & Pastry
Ranked #3 of 3 Dessert in Laramie
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery
Description: Sweets Cakes & Pastry is a Laramie-based special occasion and take-away bakery offering handmade, custom creations for weddings, birthdays and events.
Denver, CO
“Go here for the traditional and the unique both!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Little neighborhood gems like these make me wish I lived in Laramie. We have family there and visit once every month or so and this is a must stop for us. I also had a custom goodie basket done for a birthday, which I was able to do entirely over the phone since I don't live there.

The interior is super cute with a small seating area for discussing custom orders and a small selection of unique freshly crafted goodies. There are also some really cute cards, aprons, and decor up for grabs. They don't do coffee or breakfast type items. This is a spot for a custom cake or pie or an afternoon splurge.

They have a rotating menu of items based on what is fresh and being used for the custom wedding/event cakes which makes up the majority of their business. So the menu changes a lot but usually has cookies, cookie bars, fancy desserts, brownies and a lot of cupcakes. I am pretty much anti- cupcake, so you will have to forgive me for not reviewing those here. At least on Saturdays, they have a pretty big selection early on but as the day goes on they really sell out. I am usually unfortunate enough to not show up until around 2pm when there are only 4 or 5 options left for the day. So, my advice would be to plan on going earlier if you want the full range of awesome creativity that is available here. Also, they post their menu on facebook so if you "Like" their page you will see what the menu is going to be that day and plan accordingly. Like I said, if only I lived in Laramie.

Here are my recommendations:

Incredible! Category (ie woo hoo as good as it gets review):
-The bars have to be the best I have ever had. ever. and I mean nothing really comes close to second. I have had the pleasure to have pecan bars, lemon bars, and sugar cookie bars with maple frosting. Every single one of these is just phenomenal, like go there right now and have them phenomenal.

-The chocolate frosted brownies, too, are just pure perfection.

Must Try Category (or yay I am a fan review):
-Another rave review are the unique, fancy items - like the pistachio sponge cakes (unique with great flavor and texture) and the fancy cookies and pastries. I especially like the unique flavor pairing using natural flavors that come from fruits and other fun sources instead of just packed overly sweet with lots of sugar.

-The whoopie pies, when you can get them, are just a real treat too, amazing pumpkin and chocolate chip cookie ones - great flavor and texture, just a nice all around package.

Also, I am not really on the whole gluten-free wagon, but the baker usually has some gluten-free and/or dairy free options, too. My friend loved her gluten free, dairy free, peanut butter chocolate cupcake. Like I said, I just don't like cupcakes anywhere, so my opinion on that is pretty biased. In my opinion the classic choices and the wonderful uniqueness of the other "fancy" desserts are what take the cake here.

• Visited May 2014

Laramie, Wyoming
“Sweets...Could be more sweet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

First and foremost I want to say how incredibly happy I am that someone is actually BAKING at 7,200 feet--huge kudos there. The inside of this little bakery is lovely and the owner/operator/baker is usually at the counter and she is a welcoming, cheerful woman. I have tried her baked goods on a few occasions and was usually left wanting a little something more--more crumb, more sweetness in the frosting, more cakeyness ( I know...not a word, but you get it). All that being said I want her, desperately, to succeed as she is a WELCOMING business owner, which can be rare in Laramie, and because she has gone out on a limb and starting baking in a tough place. All in all I recommend going in :).

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kodi D, Owner at Sweets Cakes & Pastry, responded to this review, 16 February 2016
Thank you for your review I just want to invite you into Sweets again. We are under New ownership!!!