“A Gem in Laramie”
Review of Mad Carpenter Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laramie
Mad Carpenter Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Laramie B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We got off to a shaky start when my wife and I arrived (mistakenly) at the inn around noon on the day before the day I had made our reservation, but ever-gracious and unflappable innkeeper Lawrence assured us that he had a room available and that my error was not a serious gaffe; he was just relieved that he had not made the booking mistake. Lawrence showed us to our room, the Blossom, and advised us that if we wanted to explore the beautiful alpine lakes at Medicine Bow Peak 45 minutes away, we should make haste before mid-afternoon summer mountain thunderstorms developed. Such valuable advice was typical of Lawrence and his wife, Danny, who preside over this lovingly renovated and comfortable house.

Our room was a bit small and mostly filled by the bed, a chair and table, but our bathroom, separate from but immediately adjacent to the bedroom, was large, commodious, and luxurious, with a bathtub, a free-standing shower stall, a sink with plenty of counter space (sink counter space is often a premium at B&Bs), and a toilet.

While the bedroom was a bit small, the room is immediately adjacent to the house's very large, beautifully decorated parlor, which offers ample space to relax, read, or use the inn's free WiFi. The parlor also overlooks a garden with a small waterfall and koi pond. (Ask Lawrence to explain how the impressive ceiling decorations were created.)

When we returned from dinner, we met Danny, and my wife and she had a long, pleasant conversation about teaching. Lawrence and Danny went out of their way to make my wife and me comfortable and welcome in their house.

Breakfast the next morning was an unlimited buffet of yogurt, granola, sweet breads, fruit, jams, hard cooked eggs, coffee, and juices augmented with freshly baked whole wheat cinnamon rolls (Danny will share the recipe). Breakfast is served in a bright, sunny nook overlooking the kitchen and the garden next to the parlor. If you go away from this generous spread hungry, it's your own fault.

Mad Carpenter Inn is located immediately adjacent to the University of Wyoming campus and has free reserved on-street parking. Laramie was not crowded when we visited, but we've been assured that parking is scarce during the school year, making the inn's parking very valuable and convenient.

Why did I give the Mad Carpenter Inn a rating of 4 instead of 5? I reserve a 5 for the absolute tops in accommodations--the Four Seasons hotels, for example. Also, the bedroom was a bit small and the decor fussier than I like--but certainly in keeping with overall ambiance of the inn. If I could, I would award the Mad Carpenter Inn 4-1/2 stars; it's a fine all-around B&B experience thanks in no small part to the innkeepers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott_McCandless

Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is a beautiful house lovingly extended and refurbished by Lawrence and professionally run by him and his wife Dani. We had the Whimsy room which is large and near the main reception area. It was warm - on a cold, frosty night in Laramie and comfortable. Dani helped me with my flight check-in for my return frm Denver the next day by allowing me to use my email on her computer!! She was immensely patient about this despite it proving to be a more complicated task than it should have been.
Lawrence presided at breakfast which was hearty and well prepared. We enjoyed good conversation with both of them and they wee very hospitable towards us.

The house is just one block away from the university but also in easy walking range of the downtown historic district with its good range of restaurants and shops. and its museum.

We had been warned about the noise from trains in Laramie because the main line runs right through the centre of town - but we heard nothing in our room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The location was a little tricky to find, but once we got there we were in for quite a surprise! The adorable little cottage was beautifully renovated inside, small but all the comforts of home & more. Just inside the door you will find a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker & cupboards filled with an assortment of teas & coffee.
The bathroom is a true delight with a spa tub, complete with pillow, and a glass shower.
Head up the wooden carved & curved stairway & there is a queen sized bed beneath a large fan. A door opens onto a small porch.
Aside from the adorable, well appointed cottage, breakfast with the owners is another true delight! The breakfast was delicious & the companionship very enjoyable.
Give it a try; I know I'll go back!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Picture an old two-story house, run down and without character. And look at it now! Lawrence, the Mad Carpenter, bought the old house, and completely restored it, with the most beautiful woodwork imaginable. What a treat to stay in this showplace, which is now a B&B. Lawrence and his wife Danny were excellent hosts, and we enjoyed our visit with them. We just regretted that we couldn’t stay longer than one night. Great breakfast, Danny!

Room Tip: The Blossom Room has a private bath, however it is located in the hall next to the bedroom. If this...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rodandlois
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at the Dollhouse for one night and enjoyed it a lot. The dollhouse itself is located away from the main house and gives you all the privacy and tranquility you can desire. You can park your car right in front of the dollhouse, which is really convenient. The name is perfectly chosen because you really feel like entering a dollhouse; everything is so beautiful and cozy. Downstairs you have a very comfortable bathroom with a great shower and an even greater bathtub. There's also a small kichenette with a fridge that is filled with drinks by the hospitable owners. A magestic staircase leads to the first floor, where a king bed fills the room. You even have a balcony to sit and enjoy the pleasant Laramie evenings. This is a perfect place for a romantic getaway. In the morning the hosts offer the most delightful homemade breakfast. Wonderful place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albert047
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Located on a quiet street one block from the University this well run B&B served up a healthy,homemade breakfast and a good sized helping of Wyoming hospitality. Owners provided secure location for our road bikes. Great coffee for those of us that appreciate it after years of cowboy coffee (hot water passed thru a black hat). Enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Lawrence and Danny Rue exemplify everything that B&B innkeepers should be. They are super hospitable, welcoming, accommodating, with a just a hint of business. Breakfast was perfect - a great selection of fruit and Danny's specialties. The B&B is very clean and has a great "home" feel to it. Its central location makes it great for visits to the university or town. I was fortunate to stay during summer break at the university so the area was very quiet. On-street parking can be a challenge-be sure to get that city issued parking pass from Lawrence or Danny to put on your dash. My room, Whimsey, was excellent. Luckily, Laramie cools down in the evening so the August heat wasn't a major problem. A ceiling fan and a portable fan helped keep the air moving. The ensuite bathroom is a must. If my class has a 60th reunion, I'll be back. I highly recommend the Mad Carpenter, who isn't mad....anymore.

Room Tip: Be aware that there is an apartment above Whimsey. You will hear the tenants walking above and comin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo