“Wonderful place to stay!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gas Lite Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Laramie
Gas Lite Motel
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Laramie
berea ky
“Wonderful place to stay!!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed here a full week and loved it! The staff is friendly, Maria at the front desk is helpful and the housekeeping will do everything they can to help you with what you need. They have a heated indoor pool and wifi. The continental breakfast has coffee, orange juice, milk, cereal, oatmeal and danish. They have charcoal grills for use by guests and picnic tables to sit at. Beautiful flowers and clean rooms, and the animals are truly something you have to see to understand. The whole motel is wonderful and quiet. I will stay again when I go back to Laramie. They have much more personal service than any chain motel and the prices are great!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brookings, Oregon
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The folk were friendly and let us check the room ahead. Unfortunately issues arose after that. The toilet seemed to leak on use, and once wet the floor smelled. The tub didn't seem well sealed and may have had some mold.

Beds were ok. We got two so we wouldn't disturb each other, as we often do in unknown hotels.

Grounds were pleasant with a lot of art and color. Carpet was new in the spacious room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Laramie hotels

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Very kitch looking on the outside...a tad run down...but clean and comfortable. Has wi-fi. The woman who runs it is friendly. Nowhere to eat within immediate walking distance...but lots of pubs downtown a couple miles away...and lots of chain restaurants in the university area a few miles away.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Good choice in Laramie, if you're tired of Holiday Inn and Hilton. There are some nice chain hotels near UW, and some cheap chain hotels a few miles out. If you want a locally-owned unique, friendly motel in the downtown area, this is your best bet.

I'm told (while I was taking pictures) that people sometimes stop by just to take pictures of the place. It's that unique. It's old, but clean. Lots of homemade western art inside and out. Very friendly staff, especially Jim.

There is a downside, but not too bad. Lots of loud trucks and bikes on 3rd Street throughout the day and evening, although not so much later in the evening. Breakfast is sparse. Coffee, juice, danish. I could tell there was no battery in the smoke detector because there also was no cover. A table lamp that burned out two lightbulbs. Fortunately it didn't start a fire (see smoke detector above). Overall I'm glad I stayed here for a night.

The wifi was okay. No problem getting ice from the one machine on property. Guest laundry has one washer and dryer. Good shower / water pressure / hot water.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 July 2011

A very fun place to stay. Staff and front counter were friendly and helpful. Room was what to be expected of a 80's era hotel with the additional bonus of being clean and well maintained. Lots of unique touches including life size bronze animals in parking lot,John Wayne tribute memorabilia, and wandering cats. Great stop over if you prefer to avoid chain hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Traveling can be daunting, and sometimes we seek predictability to save us from yet another “surprise.” There’s a certain safety in knowing beforehand what you’re getting. This can be particularly true when booking a hotel room. This would certainly explain the popularity of chain hotels.

But when we value predictability over novelty – you know, daring to patronize that Mom and Pop establishment along the way – we chance losing what travel is really about. Meeting wonderful, interesting people. Sinking down into an easy chair that didn’t come off the assembly line. Feeling really, truly “at home” in a place you’ve never been to before.

Laramie, Wyoming has another state gem to claim besides jade: the Gas Lite Motel. (960 N. 3rd Street – I-80 exit 313) It is NOT a chain motel. And it IS a real find. From the minute you walk into the lobby, alive with western memorabilia and lighthearted kitsch, you know you’ve found a “Mom and Pop” place that values you. Maria at the front desk (to me, a modern-day patron saint of travelers!) immediately makes you feel at home. This is a woman who is not only great at her job – but has a heart of gold to-boot. She’s the kind of person you just want to hug. The Gas Lite Motel is pet-friendly, and their pet free is actually (and I need to put this in caps because it is so rare these days) REASONABLE. This wonderful little motel does NOT rip you off because you happen to bring your canine kid along. I can’t tell you how impressed I was by this. [Note: people who travel with pets are discovering that “pet fees” have become the latest cash cow in the hotel industry. Alas...]

This motel has everything you need – AND a real cozy, homey feel not found in cookie-cutter chain motels. Not to mention you can help support a privately-owned business; they’re struggling to stay afloat theses days when forced to compete with the “big box” hotel down the street.

Family-owned businesses often go the extra distance to make us happy. And when you add to that the possibility of really getting a good deal -- as you do at the Gas Lite -- what's not to love? And pet-lovers, we need to patronize businesses like this that don't rip us off! The Gas Lite Motel is a home-with-a-heart.

Room Tip: Just talk to Maria. She listens!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank twodogsrule
Riverton, Wyoming
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Room was not clean. Other people's hair in bathroom and in bed. The morning I woke up a water line in the city had broken. I called the owner to discuss and she said she didn't know how long it would take to fix. Before I left to go take a shower at another motel (which I had to pay for) I asked if anything could be done towards my bill even though I knew it was not the motel's fault. She reported (she does not speak fluent English) that nothing would be done to make it right because it was not her fault! I went and took my shower and completed my important exam and then I called her to discuss. She yelled at me when I said I did not think I was being treated justly. I told her I would be willing to stay there again but wanted to make it right, in which she replied, I don't care if you ever stay here again, there is millions of people in this world! She yelled and said I was "needy" in the first place because when I made my reservation I requested a quiet section of the motel (because of my exam the next day). She finally agreed to pay me $10 when I threatened to let my company card dispute the charge. When I went to leave the lobby she called me a B*%#@! I decided she was not a person that would reason or that I will ever give my American dollar to again and I walked out. I would highly recommend you not stay here!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business