“Dryhead Ranch”
Review of Dryhead Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lovell
Dryhead Ranch
Austin, Texas, United States
“Dryhead Ranch”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I live in Texas and the Dryhead in Montana is a great place to be in the summer. The country is very beautiful and the meals and lodging were wonderful. They have great horses with some of the prettiest country to ride. The Bassett family work well together and do a good job in making everyone feel welcome and comfortable. It was surely an experience I will always remember.
I plan to return!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 116DebbieC

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Family issues abound here at this ranch. Openly, and awkwardly.
They want you to do your own dishes, laundry, including your bedding at the end of the week.
You get no warm fuzzy from the owner, Jennifer who is odd, at best and makes everyone uncomfortable by asking at EACH and every meal for someone to bless the food. They are LDS (Mormon) and yet, they fight, and smoke, and live a very contradictory lifestyle.
Be prepared to PAY them more when you get there for every little thing...for example: a raincoat for when it rains, you can buy one online before you go for 15.00 or they will charge you 10 dollars just to rent it, used. Add that to the saddle bags, the spurs, the chinks (for sale only but you need them and they are PRICEY)...and you have spent a ton. Oh but wait, there's more. You do your own dishes, make your own lunch, saddle your own horse etc..and then are asked to tip the cowboys and cook and in a sneaky way. They make you come watch a video of pictures from your trip, ask you if you would like them, and when you say yes, they say, oh that will be another 30 dollars. Then you go to settle up at the store, and you are put on the spot by a very rude Jennifer, who suggests strongly that the tip be 15% and let me tell you with three people, that is $$$$750.00! For WHAT?! Isn't that what we paid for already? The food is cheap, and not that great. BASIC, at best. Rooms are ghetto. Thin walls, and mice/fly problems. You can hear other folks snoring--totally annoying. It's cold. The bathroom is far away, and outside. Not fun at 5am.
The horses are decent folks though, and they don't tick you off like the people. The views are perfect, so if you can get past everything else, the trip is nice.

Room Tip: Try any other ranch. Lonesome spur was good.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
15 Thank 757Traveller757
canada
Reviewed 16 December 2007

I first went to the ranch in 1992. I loved every experience I had there. It gave me more than I ever dreamed of. I had seen the movie City Slickers and new I needed to do something simular. The ranch and the family were fantastic. It truly changed my life. I knew when I got home I needed to do something that I loved. I got into riding and selling horses. My husband and I bought a farm and now have a cow /calf operation, like Schively runs but on a smaller scale. I had gone to the ranch for 6 years and still keep in touch with some of the people I met there. I still write the family once in a while. If you get a chance to go DO IT!!! You won't be disappointed.

Sue H (Ontario)

• Liked — I can't pick on thing I loved it all!
  • Disliked — That I had to leave.
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank CanadaMolly
south yorkshire
Reviewed 7 November 2006

I had a great time. Iris and jennifer were very friendly and helpful. jake and jack were real cowboys. we had some hard long days which were very rewarding. we did tasks which could not be carried out other than being on a proper working ranch. I would visit the ranch again.
david congreave
yorkshire
england

Stayed September 2005
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 29 January 2004

In 1993 I was in the US. It should be a 3 month vacation, I wanted "to see it all", didn't think I would be back again for a while... But the very first thing I did: I went to the Schively Ranch and joined them for a cattle drive from Lovell to the Montana ranches. What shall I say, when I left the ranch I said "I sure would like to do this again." ... when we had a short stop at the Lovell farm I gave them the deposit for 2 cattle drives in 1994. I didn't have any idea how to organize things, but I was sure, I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THIS RANCH! Well, that's what I did. Have been there many times, also at other ranches, but it's always something special to be at the Schively Ranch again. I wrote a travel story about my first vacation, here it is: ...Keep on ridin'... Steffi :-)

2 Thank BerlinCowgirl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 December 2003

I first went to the )S( in "92 and have returned in 93,95,97,99,00,02 and am getting a group ready for 04! I love this place and the people.
If you are looking for a resort, don't go! this is a working ranch and you do what needs to be done. I always go the first or this year the second branding week. My group likes this work and we have a ball doing it. I highly recomend it. A+A+A+

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lovell
Americas Best Value Inn Powell
Cattlemen Motel
Cattlemen Motel
#1 of 1 in Lovell
Super 8 Powell
Super 8 Powell
#2 of 2 in Powell

Been to Dryhead Ranch? Share your experiences!