“Fresh Country Air with family atmosphere”
Review of Dryhead Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lovell
Dryhead Ranch
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I found Dry head Ranch by searching on the web and wanted a proper working ranch experience not a dude ranch with pools, golf courses etc. I travelled from Adelaide, Australia for this experience. I was picked up from my hotel in Billings and taken to the ranch. The scenery getting there was beautiful, not to mention seeing wild mustangs on the side of the road. The ranch itself nestled in a valley, was quiet, peaceful and everything I was looking for. I had cabin accommodation that was very clean, comfortable and spacious. The family are wonderful people who treat you well and bring you into their home environment. The horses are spectacular as is the riding experience, and for those who want to see how to "break in" horses in the most peaceful, respectful way possible I recommend watching the process these people use. I was in tears watching, it was beautiful. Food is fantastic, couldn't ask for more home style cooking,3 meals a day, snacks, drinks etc. tailored to suit your needs if requested.
I found the whole experience wonderful and am taking my two daughters back this year in September,(2013 ) I can't wait to get back and feel so at peace. Jan.

Room Tip: If you want more privacy than in the bunk room, opt for a cabin with ensuite facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jan K

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I had been working in Law Enforcement for about five years in a major city. Long enough to know that I needed to step away and re-boot. I searched on the web for a ranch that had a cattle drive, you know, so I could pretend to be John Wayne in Red River or Gene Autry (except I can’t sing).
I found the Dryhead Ranch in Montana/Wyoming. Never visiting either state, or being on a cattle drive, I had no idea what to expect. But the family at the ranch was so very generous and welcoming. Even the cowboys were nice, and extremely talented. They could tell just by taking with you what horse to set you up with. And if you had any hesitation, they were very reassuring and would do their best to keep you within your comfort zone. If you didn’t feel up for a challenge and just wanted to hang back and take pictures, well that was encouraged too.
But I went there to be taken out of my comfort zone. I wanted a challenge. And with the ranch, there’s always a challenge. This is a working ranch. If they don't work hard, day in and day out, sun up to sun down, then they don't survive as the Dryhead ranch. This is a place where you go to get dirty and feel sore and accomplished by the end of the day. If you’re looking for a swimming pool, a spa or a mint on your pillow then this may not be the vacation for you. At the Dryhead, you throw on your spurs and your chinks, saddle up your horse (they’ll help if you’d like) and follow the cowboy’s out to bring in the Mares and Colts or round up the cattle.
Outside of the ranch, there isn't a house or building within sight. The views are beyond words.
One of my fondest memories of the ranch is watching the horses run down the hillside every morning to eat "cake." You can tell when they're coming because the ground rumbles a little.
I also liked building a fire and visiting with the other guests. Men and women, young or wise, it made no difference. Some were from cities, others were from overseas. Some barely had any riding experience at all. But they were pro’s by the end of the week.
Everyone I have had the pleasure of meeting at the ranch has been very welcoming and polite. They're all family working there together. It's one of the reasons I will continue to go back. That and the home cooked meals. I like how they make you feel like you're part of the family. Everyone sits together during good home cooked meals (unless you're up on the mountain with a bagged lunch or on a trail with the cattle) and after your meal you wash your own plates and sit back and swap stories or photo's over a cup of coffee or tea. Just like home.
I have done quite a bit of traveling. This ranch is by far the most amazing place I have ever been. It really is the last bit of the old west. If you’re thinking about going, then you definitely should.
Do yourself a favor and take a good look at their website. Lots of great photo’s and info. Especially in the “what to bring” section. That was helpful to me.
I'm heading back for branding week and I can't wait!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Morris M
Reviewed 25 January 2013

This is the place to be if you want to experience life on a ranch. The Dryhead is a working ranch, run by a great ranching family with generations of the family working together to make your vacation a good one. And what a vacation! This is not a dude ranch. You ride with the cowboys in beautiful country to get to the cattle and spend the day horseback moving cattle or checking cattle or whatever needs to be done that day. Then you come back to a great meal shared together in the cookhouse, sitting together at tables family style. Some nights a big campfire is built and everyone hangs out laughing and reliving the day's adventures...other times you may relax on the big covered porch at the bunkhouse and then head to your room for some of the best sleeping ever. By the end of the week you have made new friends and have some great stories to share. This is not the place to come if you are expecting to lay by a pool and get waited on ...this is a working ranch in some of the prettiest country ever! If you want to get away from it all, if you want to be horseback every day, if you want to discover how fun it is to work together to get the job done and then sleep like a baby because you have worked hard, this is the place for you. If you want to make new life-long friends and can't wait to get back for your next trip to the Dryhead and become one of the many that return again and again...this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Shirlee L
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Do you want to get in touch with yourself, learn what you are made of? Maybe learn to work a little? Try the Dryhead. This place is amazing. Sitting on a good horse, around great people, on top of the Rocky Mtns. watching a herd of horses run toward the valley- it just doesn't get any better than that.

First and foremost, it is a family and for your time there, you are part of the family. Secondly, it is pretty close to being the real thing, eventhough you are vacationing. I grew up riding and chasing cows around back East. I've been in the corporate world for far too many years. My son, Quinton, and I went to the ranch mainly to get "out" and to ride. The ads for Dryhead said something to us that was different from others that we saw. Boy, am I glad we listened. This coming summer Quinton and I are going back to do it again, this time we are taking my artist cousin who has as long as I remember wanted to be a cowboy.

This place isn't a dude ranch, it's a working ranch. If you are spoiled and want to be pampered, go to the Bahamas. If you want to experience the West, a true piece of Americana, GO TO THE DRYHEAD.

Quinton, 13, and maybe easily bored, has talked about getting back out there ever since we got home. He and I agree, the Dryhead gave us the best vacation experience we have ever had. Besides that, we ate well and on time (different for us). Thanks to Jake, Tyler, Dylan and the whole crew, I watched my son grow up a bit. We came home a little wiser and closer than we went out. I'd call that "Priceless".

If Iris and her delightful family will put up with us, we may become regulars. I expect they will.

Room Tip: In the bunkhouse, the upstairs-big rooms- are the nicest. Did not stay in the cabins, but visited, t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Don L
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I live in Texas and the Dryhead in Montana is a great place to be in the summer. The country is very beautiful and the meals and lodging were wonderful. They have great horses with some of the prettiest country to ride. The Bassett family work well together and do a good job in making everyone feel welcome and comfortable. It was surely an experience I will always remember.
I plan to return!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank 116DebbieC
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Family issues abound here at this ranch. Openly, and awkwardly.
They want you to do your own dishes, laundry, including your bedding at the end of the week.
You get no warm fuzzy from the owner, Jennifer who is odd, at best and makes everyone uncomfortable by asking at EACH and every meal for someone to bless the food. They are LDS (Mormon) and yet, they fight, and smoke, and live a very contradictory lifestyle.
Be prepared to PAY them more when you get there for every little thing...for example: a raincoat for when it rains, you can buy one online before you go for 15.00 or they will charge you 10 dollars just to rent it, used. Add that to the saddle bags, the spurs, the chinks (for sale only but you need them and they are PRICEY)...and you have spent a ton. Oh but wait, there's more. You do your own dishes, make your own lunch, saddle your own horse etc..and then are asked to tip the cowboys and cook and in a sneaky way. They make you come watch a video of pictures from your trip, ask you if you would like them, and when you say yes, they say, oh that will be another 30 dollars. Then you go to settle up at the store, and you are put on the spot by a very rude Jennifer, who suggests strongly that the tip be 15% and let me tell you with three people, that is $$$$750.00! For WHAT?! Isn't that what we paid for already? The food is cheap, and not that great. BASIC, at best. Rooms are ghetto. Thin walls, and mice/fly problems. You can hear other folks snoring--totally annoying. It's cold. The bathroom is far away, and outside. Not fun at 5am.
The horses are decent folks though, and they don't tick you off like the people. The views are perfect, so if you can get past everything else, the trip is nice.

Room Tip: Try any other ranch. Lonesome spur was good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
15  Thank 757Traveller757
Reviewed 16 December 2007

I first went to the ranch in 1992. I loved every experience I had there. It gave me more than I ever dreamed of. I had seen the movie City Slickers and new I needed to do something simular. The ranch and the family were fantastic. It truly changed my life. I knew when I got home I needed to do something that I loved. I got into riding and selling horses. My husband and I bought a farm and now have a cow /calf operation, like Schively runs but on a smaller scale. I had gone to the ranch for 6 years and still keep in touch with some of the people I met there. I still write the family once in a while. If you get a chance to go DO IT!!! You won't be disappointed.

Sue H (Ontario)

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank CanadaMolly

Been to Dryhead Ranch? Share your experiences!