“Wonderful stay in premium cabin”

Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moran
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Accommodation at Flagg ranch ranges from camping, RV, small huts with communal baths to nice cabins with own bathroom.
We decided to pay for the premium cabin which have king bed and a patio overlooking the river and meadow.
They were very nice and a welcome change after awful Canyon village and price almost the same.
Cabins hat all luxury amenities, coffee maker, very good bed etc.
on site restaurant also quite nice and lovely bar.

Only negative is the location. It is in between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. We stayed 3 nights as a base for Grand Tetons and we found it ok. One night we even drove all the way to Moose -Wilson road to see moose. We saw moose and my husband was chased by a black bear.
So I think it is a good location for GT park, not so much for Yellowstone.
Still we loved it and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Pay for premium cabins. The other cabins seemed ok but patio looks out at either garden or car park...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chocolate74
There are newer reviews for Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Beautiful setting. Easy driving to Jackson Lake. Chairs on back patio, wine, quiet. Spacious room.

Had to schlep luggage, but it is a cabin. There were wheelbarrow-type carriers.

No tv. Internet was iffy at best in room and at lodge. It was a common topic

Restaurant food was ok by me but we chose to eat there only once.

Really friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We recently spent a week at Headwaters Lodge and Cabins. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a deluxe cabin (not really that much different than the basic cabin) - but, a thoughtful consideration, nevertheless. Two double beds, shower / tub, vanity / sink, refrigerator, microwave, table and two chairs, small porch with two rockers, and convenient parking near the cabins. Housekeeping was a bit spotty at times, with some daily lack of attention to detail (cleaning of the tub, sink or toilet). We would stay again if we were to visit the area.

We flew into Jackson Hole - a really smaller than expected airport. We had reserved a rental car from National, who advertised an on the airport location. Not so! So, we cancelled with National and went with Hertz on site, who upgraded the car from that which National had reserved for us and and met National's price! Thanks Hertz!

The drive to Headwaters was about an hour to the north. The drive parallels the Grand Tetons and is beautiful, with several food options along the way - Jenny Lake Lodge, Signal Mountain Lodge and Lake Jackson Lodge.

As clearly advertised, the cabins at Headwaters do not have TV, radio and there are no cell towers nearby - a plus to us! The connection to the internet was spotty during our stay. We did critique this on our post-departure survey and were advised this issue was corrected with new equipment the week after we departed.

The on site restaurant - Sheffield's - was fine. Good basic breakfasts and dinners. The service staff, almost universally summer employees from various locations around the states and from Europe, was fun, attentive and enthusiastic. We particularly enjoyed the service and discussion we received from Brent (manager), Alicia, Stephanie, Kate and Milena. Michael, who serves as the on site local travel consultant, was very helpful. Nice, small 'general store', bar, gas station and gift shop are located in or at the Lodge.

All in all - what we found was what we expected - with two minor exceptions: spotty to poor internet service; and the spotty daily housekeeping service.

The Yellowstone South Entry is 2 miles to the north and Grand Teton North Entry is 4 miles to the south. Very convenient for travel into either park.

A pleasant and positive stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie M
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Large rooms with rocking chairs on porch....we had no view what so ever....asked to be moved since 1st room was right next door to camp ground...mind you long way back up to front desk staff took forever ....plus you have to cart your stuff...not like you can park near your room. I was not aware of any restaurants near by other the lodge's which was very good for both dinner and breakfast but service was sooo slow. For price of room was hoping for so much more....way overpriced...should have stay at Jackson Lake Lodge...now there's a wow factor! Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelAgent026
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Flagg Ranch has/is a great location for Yellowstone and Teton parks. We chose the Flagg Ranch because of short notice of the trip and we had a hard time finding rooms in the Jackson area. I was traveling with my wife, son, and 80 and 81 year old parents. The guy who took my reservations(Jordan I believe was his name) was outstanding. I told him about my parents status and needing a room/cabin near parking and he delivered. We had two rooms that are in what I would call large 4-plex cabins. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quite. We never heard any traffic or other guests. I had read in another review that the cabins had no A/C so I took a little fan with us and glad I did as the first night our room was hot. We had two issues, the first was the lack of lighting(non existent) which was not good with my 80 year old parents. The first night coming out of the lodge/restaurant it was dark and they had no lighting and this was difficult with my parents and when we got back to our cabin parking area the 1 handicap spot was taken. With no lighting and parking full I couldn’t put head light on the path for my parents. They need more lighting.
I am going to also put my restaurant review here as this is all one property. We had dinner at Sheffields on 9/6. We had issues with two of our five meals and were very disappointed. For a chef to put out prime rib dinner like we seen is ridiculous. We were so disappointed that we bought sandwich stuff in Jackson on the 7th and ate sandwiches in our room that night. It seem like they know you have to travel a ways to eat so they don’t care. I would not eat dinner here, there are other restaurants in the area and I would drive there instead of eating at Sheffields(now I see why it was rated 6th out of 6 restaurants in Moran). I do have to mention that our server Kate was great as was all but one staff member we encountered. I would recommend staying here(bring fan and flashlights) if you want to see both Yellowstone and Teton parks, but would recommend eating elsewhere.

Room Tip: no A/C so bring fan if you can and flashlights.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Ga2r111
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We were upgraded (without asking) to a deluxe cabin which after 3 nights in sad lodges in Yellowstone was a real treat. The cabin was tasteful, roomy and full of luxury amenities including Tazo tea, high end bath products and brand new towels. The food at the restaurant was excellent, way above lodge food standard - definitely try the pancakes for breakfast. Free chocolate chip cookies at reception. friendly staff and no hassle checkout system. Will definitely be staying there again if we go back to the Tetons.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank mjlothar
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is a great place to stay if you want to visit both National Parks. It's more rustic, however the cabins were very nice and rather large for all of our stuff. The beds were fairly comfortable. Some of the front desk help were wonderful, others not so much. They could use a few more lights in the parking lots and in the cabin area. At night it's pretty dark, add in rain and it got difficult to see where you were going. All in all I would recommend you to stay here! You can also bring your dog, but you won't get a choice cabin.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nanybird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moran
Grand Targhee Resort
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#4 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park
Heart Six Guest Ranch

Been to Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch? Share your experiences!