“Average”
Review of Sundowner Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Sundowner Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Family of 4 stayed for 1 night. Nice location, problem with the AC, room got very warm, but no controls. Good place to stay for a night. The room was small, expecially for a family of 4. Breakfast was nothing special, ended up stopping for a better breakfast later. Seemed like we were inconveniencing the staff. Parking lot was full, and had to ask where to park. (owner was in her room, and seemed bothered by the distraction)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2010

This Inn is a real hidden gem. The Inn keeper Stacey is the asset to this older Inn with a quaintness of its own. It is located close to town, has stores and restaurant across the street, and is quiet and small. She gives you indivigual attention and is most accomandating to all your questions and requests. Our party of 4 couples fell in Love with this great Inn. It was relaxing, comfortable and quiet. The rates are very reasonable and the rooms clean and neat. If your in the area, make this your nights stop for sure.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Our room has no plugs that work near a mirror. The bed sags is middle and pillows are made of solid ??? But worst of all are the trains that blow their wistles three or four times per hour all night and day) and it sounds like they are 10 feet from your head. This place shows good reviews but take my word it is not worth even the small price you pay. It is just one step up from camping out.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank debho
Reviewed 18 June 2010

This is my third stay at the Sundowner Inn, and it just keeps getting better. I can see lots of small changes that really mean a lot to the regular traveler. The Sundowner is more like a B&B than a hotel or motel, but it certainly is one place I can relax and feel at home. Guest care is top notch, and I'll continue to return to the Sundowner when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I travel extensively for my job and spend 20-23 days per month in motels. Since I pay for my own expenses, I am always on the lookout for good, clean hotels or motels at good prices.

I stayed at the Sundowner Inn and will never stay anywhere else when I am in or near Newcastle. This Inn made me feel like I was at home. It was charming, welcoming, inviting and comfortable. I stayed in "the room with a view", meaning it was a corner room and had 4 windows. The room was not large, but was well apportioned with a comfortable bed, clean and luxurious bedding, a desk, TV, refrigerator, mocrowave, a coffee machine and free wifi.

The shower was small and the toilet was a little juxta-positioned, but the overall stay was wonderful. The owner was everything you would hope for. I had a webinar scheduled for late morning and she allowed me to stay a couple of extra hours to conduct my business. This meant the world to me.

I love finding gems where I travel. Out of the 100 motels that I have stayed in over the last year in ND, SD, WY, KS, OK, NE and TX, this is in my favorite 3 places.

Stay here. When you do, you will want to write a review as glowing as this one.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We did an overnight trip to Newcastle and we're really glad that we stayed at the Sundowner Inn. The room was great and the staff very friendly.

We pack pillows and a comforter with us on road trips because most hotels don't have quality pillows and the heaters make too much noise to sleep with them on. We didn't need either of them here. The bed was really comfortable and the heating system was very quiet.

The only drawback was the noise from the railroad tracks. As far as we could tell, all of the hotels in Newcastle have to deal with the noise. The owners of the inn said that they're putting soundproofing on the upstairs room to control the sound levels. I didn't think that it was bad since I was able to sleep through the night with no problems. My partner disagrees with me since she woke up a few times.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We were heading to South Dakota on a motorcycle trip and stopped for the night at the Sundowner. Newcastle is a bit of an industrial town - you pass a giant ugly refinery on the way into town so that set the stage for our expecations. Thankfully with low expectations it was hard to be disappointed - and we were not.

A bit dated and no room was the same (we were in a group and hard several rooms). One has a big tv - one has a dvd player, one has a king, etc.

It was not the Ritz but we were not looking for that. For a place to hang your hat for the night, catch some shut-eye and take off again in the morning it was fine for that.

We didn't spend any time in Newcastle so I could not comment on the town other than the Old Mill restaraunt across the street was Ok .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends