“A must see”

Heart Mountain Interpretive Center
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Powell
More attraction details
Owner description: The Heart Mountain Interpretive Center is located at the site of a former World War II Japanese American Relocation Camp. Shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese Americans on the West Coast were rounded up and confined in 10 camps around the country. One of these was located at Heart Mountain, and approximately 14,000 Japanese Americans were wrongly incarcerated here. The camp today features a museum, gallery, walking tour, original Relocation Camp structures and a World War II Memorial. The museum features interactive exhibits for visitors of all ages showing how Japanese Americans coped with unjust confinement and how the story of Japanese American imprisonment affects our lives today. A 14-minute introductory film plays several times each hour.
cody
“A must see”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very well done. Extremely interesting. One visit isn't enough. It is first rate. It can be enjoyed by people from all walks of life.

Visited May 2013

Powell
“Must See”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The ILC is a must see for everyone! It's an incredible museum that offers a comprehensive collection of the events that occurred with the Japanese American internment camps of WWII. I grew up completely unaware of that part of American history, which is why the Heart Mountain Interpretive Center is not only a great place to visit but a very important place to learn about this dark part of American history.

Visited April 2013
DC Metro
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A definite "must-see"”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My dad and his family were kept at the Heart Mountain camp during WWII so I've really wanted to come here. The museum is very well done and the exhibits were informative. The video was excellent. It was very powerful stuff, especially with a family connection. The gift shop is well appointed. I also did the walking trail. I had some difficulty seeing the points on interest on the trail since I wasn't tall enough for the upper sight glass and was too tall for the lower, but still felt it was worth it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“This experience should not be missed by any American!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This center is such a amazing experience. It broke our hearts to see how the Japanese families suffered with such dignity. I wish I could bring our family and grandchildren here---a testament of man's inhumanity to man---hard to believe this could happen within my lifetime. The exhibits are really well presented and very interesting. Be sure to see the film first. The staff is well informed and will answer any questions. If you have time visit the top of the hill where there is an interesting walk around the original site with markers. This is a moving experience and all Americans should visit here.

Marysville, Washington
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very moving experience”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My mother grew up in LA during WWII. Many of her classmates were Japanese. She used to tell me how bad she felt when they were all taken away. In the past few years I have read three books that are about the interment camps. When I realized I was going to be able to visit Heart Mountain I was very excited.
The people who made the Historical Center did an excellent job! BRAVO!! They show you a short movie before you see the exhibits. While watching the movie there were tears rolling down my cheeks. Then we got to see lots of pictures and hear voices of people who were there. It was a very moving experience. There is also a shop with reading material and other things that you can buy to help support the center. After we left the museum we drove up the hill to see the markers that show where the buildings were. So many years have passed that it is hard to imagine the city that was there but it still tugs at your heart. My husband and I have visited Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany. Heart Mountain was not as harsh but it is another reminder of the inhumanity of man. If you are anywhere close to the area make the effort to visit Heart Mountain. Take your family and friends. Don't let the next generation be ignorant of what happened.

1 Thank wanderlust_3351