“a must see”

Heart Mountain Interpretive Center
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Powell
More attraction details
Owner description: The Heart Mountain Interpretive Center is located at the site of a former World War II Japanese American Relocation Camp. Shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese Americans on the West Coast were rounded up and confined in 10 camps around the country. One of these was located at Heart Mountain, and approximately 14,000 Japanese Americans were wrongly incarcerated here. The camp today features a museum, gallery, walking tour, original Relocation Camp structures and a World War II Memorial. The museum features interactive exhibits for visitors of all ages showing how Japanese Americans coped with unjust confinement and how the story of Japanese American imprisonment affects our lives today. A 14-minute introductory film plays several times each hour.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you are visiting Cody, Wyoming, this is a "must see". The former internment camp is a short drive from the town. We visited in 2012 on a day trip from Yellowstone. We only had two hours and felt a bit rushed. A better history lesson than kids will ever get in school. A shameful episode from America's past. The question every visitor should ask, "Could something like this ever happen again?"

Reviewed 26 May 2014

On a barren windswept stretch of sagebrush lies a newly opened (2011) “Interpretive Center” that combines traditional museum gallery, first-person experience and war memorial on the site of a former prison built to hold 14,000 Japanese American families who were forcibly evicted from West coast homes a few months after Pearl Harbor. The disturbing story of civilian families -- women, men and children -- loaded onto trains with 1 suitcase each and kept behind barbed wire between 1942-1945 is told in a factual and human way that is little understood. Seeing the stories of the mostly American citizens who lost virtually all of their homes and possessions, with entire families packed into one bare uninsulated unfurnished room, living through Wyoming winters at 20 below zero with no warm clothing and no real incomes will come as a shock to many 21st century American visitors. But it is an important educational opportunity. Also it is truly suitable for all ages, and not frightening or “lecturing.” Children attended school and joined Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
The $7 adult/$5 seniors & students/free under age 12 make it even more worth the drive. (15 miles north of Cody; 65 mile east of Yellowstone.) Be sure to visit the actual site, a 1/3rd of a mile, just over a small hill.

2  Thank Arcee_CO
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Since my first visit I have picked up numerous books to read and even took a group of scouts there. I find the people there engaging and friendly. I highly recommend this wonderful place. Visit it as soon as you can.

3  Thank Wardishere
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I visited the site last October. I had heard of such camps, but had never visited one. The Heart Mountain site is incredibly beautiful in all its pain and sorrow, incredibly moving, and it is really sad that such horrible treatment of American citizens can happen. But we also had slavery in America, didn't we?

1  Thank dagpel
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I passed this attraction every day for about a year. Finally when my in-laws came to visit, my mother-in-law and I took a trip to the "center".
Wow! In all the history I studied in school, I don't remember learning about these Japanese Internment camps. I promise you will learn about history, the effect of media on government and visa versa, and you will come to learn, most importantly, about people.
It changed my life. Fascinating!
They've done a beautiful job with the museum-like displays, but there is so much to see there that it would take an adult three or four hours to see it all. If you have young children, ask for help finding the "highlights" for them. Be prepared for them to be troubled by what they learn about what the U.S. Government was willing to do to an entire race of people.
I'm so glad I went.