“Can't wait to actually stay here!”

The Lamplighter Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Powell
The Lamplighter Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Powell B&B and Inns
Kinnear, Wyoming
“Can't wait to actually stay here!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I just got off the phone from making a reservation for next month. The gentleman I talked to was so pleasant and helpful in making a reservation that I'm sure I've found an exceptional place to stay -- a place where the people really care about guests' comfort and satisfaction!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BarbWhite4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Rick the owner was very gracious and called me back to make a reservation. We like smaller towns and Cody hotels are all overpriced so we chose to call The Lamplighter in Powelll 20 minutes away. Very well maintained, great service by staff and, the real surprise, the room was very recently renovated and easily compared to a 3 or 4 star hotel.
A very definite place to revisit. I can guarantee your satisfaction from my own experience.

Room Tip: Room 103 was our spot and we were very satisfied.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank M999999
Spring, Texas, USA
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We were searching and searching for a motel to stop in at after a long day (and even longer exit) from Yellowstone. Called here and was greeted as if it was the middle of the day (it was close to midnight) by the most welcoming voice. He seemed genuinely happy to help us out. Extremely reasonably priced and way nicer than some of the other not-as-nice locations we stayed at for a higher price. We were so happy with this motel all the way down to the cleanliness and friendliness. Would most definitely recommend and stay there again! 5 stars!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sault, MI
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I spent two nights in this hotel. The room was clean and had a microwave and refrigerator, as well a tv, clock radio, coffee maker, table and desk. Everything worked fine. The room was quiet. The office was never open when I went there, but there was a phone, and you could pick up the receiver and the owner would be there within a minute or two. He was very accommodating.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
waldo9262, Owner at The Lamplighter Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Often times, guest will only take the time to write a review if they have negative feedback to share. We appreciate all feedback, but it is nice to hear the positive side! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Others have rated the Super 8 above the Lamplighter. The Lamplighter gets my business about once each year because of it's uniqueness and the hospitality. Rick and his wife work hard to keep this older property in good repair. The decor is older in style, but comfortable. The matresses are always updated and the linens are clean. With a refridgerator and micro wave in the room, sturdy furniture, and welcoming hospitality the Lamplighter edges out the Super 8. I have stayed at both.

They also own and run the liquor store and restaurant attached to the property. Because of the high prices in the restaurant, I have not eaten there until this trip. I had a business meeting for dinner and was pleasantly surprised. They do not have cook, they have hired a chef. One rarely finds a fine dining restaurant in a city of this size. Because they also own the liquor store, the prices for drinks are more in line with a restaurant than a fine dining establishment.

Room Tip: I recommend the second floor on the west side away from the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hiddenshutter
Seattle
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Not the worst we have stayed in (the Horse Shoe Bend in Lovell, WY takes the cake for that one) but quite bad to say the least. Nasty industrial carpet along with those disgusting polyester bed spreads (do motel/hotel operators SERIOUSLY think those are attractive or sanitary?) and those strange, light blue - fuzzy "felt" worthless blankets that adorn every sleazy motel across the country - truly disgusting.

The "office" had a sign that directed us to the adjacent liquor store to check in - actually quite amusing in the middle of winter in NW Wyoming. I guess this is because we were the ONLY "guest" that night. Liquor store "staff" watching portable DVD player when we walked in...lol. Also first place I have stayed in 10 years that still has the old style keys with the giant key ring. Lots of daylight (and cold air) around the door - probably cost the owner more in electricity for our stay than we paid as we had the heater on full blast the entire time.

Much to our dismay, we could not keep the shower curtain rod from falling off. We stayed for two days and the dang thing fell off in the middle of the night - scared the stink out of us both nights.

Liquor store has a very respectable assortment of booze, beer, and wine - because you are going to need it...

Beds = bad - even if you ignore the trashy bedding.

Ate dinner there as well - quite amusing. 3 star meal at 5 star prices. We were one of two couples in the place. Decent fillet cooked as requested - no complaints. Didn't know they had 2-buck-chuck in Powell but I swear that was the house red wine. Amusing part was the offer of a "cup of fruit juice" as a side...? Wierd. But heck, it's Powell - just gotta go with it and smile like that is a normal offering!

Honestly, the place has excellent potential but the owner would need to spend about 2k (aside from replacing beds) per room to make the place up to par with the likes of a Hampton Inn. The other places to stay in Powell look to be just as trashy as this place so the owner could make some serious coin with a bit of an upgrade. And, with a liquor store and restaurant attached, they could seriously make this place very nice if they upgraded the food (hired a trained chef and something other than high school kids to wait tables) and the rooms ---- and staffed the front desk with something other than a sign directing the guest to the liquor store..

Overall, the room was very clean(like I said, this place has potential) - just needs updated and some strategic nails placed in the floor to stop the creaking, replace door, carpet, bed, bedding, upgrade tv reception to HD, get a curved shower curtain rod that stays up,

Room Tip: If you have no choice but to stay here, stay upstairs as I imagine the creaky floors would be annoyi...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
waldo9262, Owner at The Lamplighter Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our motel and restaurant. We sincerely apologize for what was obviously a horribly disappointing stay with us. We take every comment to heart and will strive to use these comments to improve the quality of the services we provide. If your travels ever bring you to our town again, we would welcome another opportunity to serve you! Sincerely, Rick and Julie Norberg
Cody
Reviewed 19 October 2012

For my birthday my family and I went to the Lamplighter restaurant in Powell. I have to say i am quite displeased. The food is overpriced, overcooked, and in every sense of the word, bland. My mother paid $22 for an 8-9oz. hunk of overcooked salmon, and I was forced to pay $70 for a rubbery piece of lobster tail. When we complained to the manager about it, as it turns out, she was also the so called "chef". We will never eat there again.
If you are visiting Powell from anywhere other than Cody, take an extra 45 minutes and head to the Rib and Chop House.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Powell
Americas Best Value Inn Powell
#3 of 29 in Cody
Super 8 Powell
Super 8 Powell
#1 of 2 in Powell

Been to The Lamplighter Inn? Share your experiences!