“awesome”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
kansas
“awesome”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I-80 was closed at Sinclair. We got the last room here in Wyoming. The staff was so great- two of the desk clerks went to clean the room. We checked in and refueled. They accomodated us with our dog - switching us with non-pet people, I guess. They had warm cookies!!! SO glad we are not sleeping in the truck somewhere. But I had stayed with this chain before - traveling with one big and five cats -and they were all good places. But this one was above the norm. I actually heard another desk clerk tell someone on the phone to call back in a few minutes and he would check availabilty in other hotels for them!

Room Tip: Stay here even if the Interstate isn't closed!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dacono, Colorado
Reviewed 27 December 2012

On Dec 19th 2012 my husband and I had to stay over night in Rawlins, Wy because the roads were a mess and some closed down. It was cold and I mean COLD , windy, snowy you get the picture. I went in and asked about a room the girls that were there that night were very nice. I asked about discounts they gave us a room which was old looking smelled and dirty. By the looks of the whole place I'm will to bet the every room looked like ours. In the morning their so call breakfast was so bad. I tried to eat biscuits and gravy it was like trying to eat glue with hamburger in it. I thew it away as did my husband and we went to the place next door to eat. What topped everything off was when I went to check out. The woman at the front desk (short reddish hair with glasses middle aged) told me as I was signing the credit slip that the girl the night before had given us the trucker rate. She started to move her hand towards the slip as I was signing as if she was going to take it back so she could charge me more. I just held it and finnished signing it and said well thats to bad sorry. She grabbed the slip from me , I'm a veteran so I asked for the heck of it do you give discounts for military . With a stern voice she snapped at me " No we do not " at this point she was really upsetting me with her actions. So I told her thats to bad sense they are protecting her. This place is only good if your desperate as we were that night. We are not Hotel/Motel snobs I just feel for money the rooms should be clean and have some up dates ,and beds that aren't borads. They need some one at the front desk that's friendly and cares about doing a good job!!

Room Tip: Go some where else.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank darkcloud1

Travellers are raving about these Rawlins hotels

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We stayed there on 11/24/2012 and went down to have breakfast and although the front desk clerk was very good and busy with making sure that breakfast was stocked and clean there were housekeepers there cussing and ranting about their personal lives. We have a small child and felt it was very unprofessional and unappropriate! Then even though we had a do not disturb sign on our door the housekeeper named Arlene started pounding on my door at 9:15 am!!! Then when I said that we were still in the room I heard her say why dont we get our $h_t and leave! My child picked up a dirty q-tip from under the bed and there were stains on my sheets. For the price of 89.00 and the mess that we had to deal with I should have went else where. Do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Teddy R
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Literally put in this property on a motorcycle dodging a strong thunderstorm. It was the only place in Rawlins with rooms so there we were. We were luckly in that we were the first people to find this place before everybody else. Nothing really special about the hotel except the lone front desk woman who, after we signed, had a line out the door waiting to get a room. We felt sorry for her, but she was as good and professional as anyone I've seen in that situation, and I stay in hotels 14 to 18 nights every month! That hotel is luicky to have her.

Room Tip: Okay for that class of hotels..nothing special...next to a truck stop, away fron town.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim M
Southampton
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Only stay in Rawlins if you have an unavoidable reason to be there. This town is a refinery and the smell hangs over the town. From Monday to Thursday the motels are full of refinery, and some other, workers, usually prebooked. We arrived on a Monday at 5pm and tried a lot of motels before booking this one. It was a last resort. The Holiday Inn had two rooms at about $185 and the Days Inn had a room but when I looked at it nothing seemed well kept and the corridors were dirty. The Microtel had a handicapped room. I asked to look at it (which is always my policy) and it had not been made up. Everywhere seemed completely full and there were queues at the doors.
The Americas Best Value was busy with regulars, but they had a room and we were too tired to go any further. The rooms are clean, but small, well used, and the walls are paper thin. You think other people are coming into your room, and you can hear conversations in the rooms/reception area. The wash area is small and the loo/shower(only) is in a sort of closet. Beds and pillows are firm. B/fast with some hot food is in a sort of cubby hole. Reception does its job: efficiently. Unless you want to go searching there is food at the truckers stop next door which also has a Subway and shop. There is nothing to bring one back to this area or motel. It's hardly best value for the price you have to pay here. The market is such that motels can charge prices you would not accept in the same chains elsewhere. If you want a reasonably priced good, comfortable motel plan to be 100 miles either way on the I80 from Rawlins. That is how far other/good accommodation is!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wyntyll
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed at this motel on the way home from our 4,000 mile trip. Needless to say, we have stayed at quite a few places before this. We didn't have reservations but got a great, first floor, non-smoking room anyway! It was clean and comfortable. The front desk girls were polite and helpful and we felt that they understood that we were an elderly couple who couldn't climb stairs!. The bed was quite comfortable and after traveling 500 miles, we were very pleased with that!!! There was a microwave and fridge in the room which I always find to be a great, big PLUS!!! Get this, biscuits and gravy for breakfast! Really? It was very good to boot! I can't understand all the negative reviews unless these people are 'Motel Snobs' and expect to get a bunch of frills for a small price! My husband and I expect to get a clean room, comfort and nice employees. We did and were very pleased. By the way, we don't think it's fair to give a bad review for accepting a smoking room when you didn't want one to begin with! If we can't get a non-smoking room, we move on to another motel...simple! For the price, we were very pleased...like the heading says...'NOT FOR MOTEL SNOBS'. Oh, by the way, we always carry ear plugs and never have to complain about kids or pets because we can't hear them! The plugs are always in our suitcases...just in case! It's not the RITZ, so prepare for your own comfort and get a good nights sleep at a great price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank car54wru
Lorraine W, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Rawlins, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Thank you for posting your review we appreciate your taking the time to do so. Our staff works hard to provide you with the best possible accommodations and service and give you the comforts of home and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Rawlins. We hope to see you again when you next are in the area.
Bristol, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Stayed one night in May, 2012, on the way to Salt lake City. Accepted a smoking room (the only thing offered) w/o an inspection. After taking my gear off my cycle and carrying it inside to the room, I just about fell over when I opened the door to the room. The room reeked of cigarette smoke so bad I almost fell over. The room smelled like it hadn't been aired out in months. The drapes, carpet, bedding all stunk.
I couldn't open the window because they were watering the lawn, and the wind was blowing the water in the window-the opening was wet, and the wood was water-damaged even though the window was closed.
When I went to the front desk to complain about the odor, the young lady just shrugged and asked me what I expected-after all it was a smoking room. I guess I expected a room in which I wouldn't have to try to hold my breath all night.
Overall, the room looked dirty and neglected. The rug looked like it hadn't been shampooed in years. I didn't take my shoes off until I stepped into the shower-and then I went straight to bed.
The desk chair had the bottom hanging down like it was ripped out, and the light above the desk was burned out.
In the ABVInn guide this location had four stars-for exceeding customer expectations. Frankly it didn't even meet my expectations for a clean, comfortable motel room, much less exceed them.
Lesson learned-don't accept a smoking room w/o an inspection first.

Room Tip: Don't accept a smoking room w/o an inspection first.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CharlieDog43
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your taking the time to post your review. We apologize for inconvenience that you experienced while staying at our Inn. When you arrived we were almost entirely full and all we had available was a smoking room. Smoking rooms do carry a smoke odor and it is hard to eliminate the odor completely. We hope you will come back and give us another chance to be of service to you. We do recommend you call for a reservation so we can have a room available for you that better meets your needs.