“Best mexican food we have ever eaten.”
Review of Rose's Lariat

Rose's Lariat
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Rawlins
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We travel all over the USA. We love Mexican food and this is the best we have found, anywhere. It is worth the stop in a small town off of the interstate. It is a very small place but worth the wait. Order takeout if you can't get a seat, it is worth it.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Well I am not Mexican nor have I lived in South TX or Southern Cal but almost every place I have been short of New Orleans I try the Mexican. I am not sure what 'Traditional Mexican' is because every place I have been that claims 'Traditional' has something different. I travel quite a bit and have eaten in Cali, AZ, NM, TX, OK, NV, CO, WY and FL at places calling themselves 'Traditional'. Gotten everything from little taquito looking things, to shrimp dishes to fajitas and gorditas lately. I knew Rose who started the restaurant with I believe her sister for the railroad crews that didn't have a place to eat because they weren't accepted in many of the other places in Rawlins in the '60s if I remember her story correctly. She was a gracious woman loving her customers whether they were family or some out of place stranger who came in to get something filling. She and her husband were the sweetest couple and loved their customers. Their son Bobby took over when Rose retired. Last time I was in I saw one of Bobby's daughters in the back. Still loving their customers! Service can be slow but it is worth it. Food is heated above the grill like it has been since I moved to the Rawlins area in 1979, I am sure they use a microwave for a few things now too like almost all restaurants.

One time after Bobby was running the restaurant someone came in and said his food was TEX MEX. LOL first time I think I ever saw Bobby with fire in his eyes! He politely informed the customer that the recipes had been handed down for years and were truely Mexican. I believe he told them his grandparents were from NM but can't remember for sure. Just know he was quite proud of the heritage of their food. Yes it was green chili, red chili, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, rellenos and tostados. There were no shrimp dishes and no chicken dishes, no fajitas or nachos and what the heck is a GORDITA?... As one of the other reviews states it is heart attack food, yep traditional, although I don't believe they use lard anymore YUM! LOL. But it is heavy, fill the workers up for the rest of the day, solid food. I still remember my first Mexican Long John (not sure if it is still on the menu but have to think it doesn't get much more Traditional) corn tortilla, highly seasoned ground beef, fresh jalapenos wrapped up with green pork chili with chunks of carrot (yeah that is one you almost never see anywhere else), potato and lots of slices of jalapeno swimming over it. Talk about rock you from toes to your hat, OMG were those great.

Don't come for the atmosphere. It is a diner style restaurant of the 50's & 60's era although they have added a few seats. They used to do as much take out or more than dine in.

Not sure what 'Traditional Mexican' is because seems like everyone has their thing, limes, tripe, tongue, shrimp, squid, carne asada, jalapenos or only big jim peppers, ranchera, plums (yep with shrimp and called 'Traditional' which I am sure it was), to these new dishes which I am told are definitely not Traditional by some, nachos, fajitas, gorditas and shrimp cocktails.

I AM TELLING YOU THAT AT LEAST FROM 1979 AND MANY YEARS PRIOR, THE RECIPES FOR THE GREEN CHILI AND BASE MENU STILL TASTE THE SAME. WAS JUST THERE 2 WEEKS AGO AND HAD MY FAV BOWL OF GREEN AND A SOFT CORN TACO WITH CHEESE AND IT WAS AS GOOD AS 30 YEARS AGO.

That is tradition!!!! The only disappointment was the strawberry sopapilla. Ordered it with sour cream and they looked at me like they hadn't heard of it. Trust me that was a tradition that was on the menu for years. Now they want to serve it to you with whipped cream, yuk! That was not an option even in the 80's. The disappointing part was they did serve it with sour cream but it was not the Mexican creama style they used to have. (I quit eating these in the early 80's because I figured they did seriously push the 'health issues' after a big meal) But it was still pretty tasty!

Yesterday I had 'Traditional' at Durango's in Longmont, and my taco was smoothered with fresh cilantro. Ok if they are from the coastal region but their map on the wall showed them as Central Mexico origin and Pancho Villa as an obvious hero who is from Chihuahua in N Mexico. Definitely not an area you get culantro, much stronger flavor, it is a coastal version of the European cilantro cousin now available fresh in most areas. Because of the very strong flavor culantro they probably didn't smoother anything and was used as a seasoning. They were also promoting their 'Traditional Shrimp Cocktails' obviously not a N Central Mexico item and am told it is not really Mexican but American with a Mexican twist. Personally I am ok with that but don't tell me it is Traditional an Rose's food is not.

Iblack and a few of the locals surely remember the original menu items have been there for decades.

So to compare Rose's to a Taco Johns or even saying it is Americanized is most assuredly an insult. If you want to eat something that is for sure unique and rarely seen anywhere else, see if the Mexican Long John is still on the menu! YUM, never had anything like this anywhere else. Also the Chorizo tostado, it rocks and again only have seen them at Rose's. And yep they have been around since 1979 and earlier I am sure.

Yep they only take cash and only open Tuesday through Sat 11 AM to 7 PM. Same as over 30 years ago. Nothing wrong with that! Bet the bank won't be repo'ing that restaurant!!!

Rock on Bobby & Family! In my eyes and heart your food is what I think of when someone says 'Traditional'. Hope you keep those family recipes rolling out. God Bless you brother!

2  Thank D S
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on way home from Jackson hole. Very small Mexican joint. Food was good, owners friendly. Good green chile and good pinto beans.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

This is where the Triangle started. 'The Rope' is how all others are judged. Having gone from fresk chilis to canned chilis and jalapenos has changed the Green Chili, but, it is still the best.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I really enjoy this restaurant. The food is excellent. Pricey. I wish there were more places to sit and eat here.