“Comfortable and Safe, Plus Close to the Interstate” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oak Tree Inn Rawlins

Oak Tree Inn Rawlins
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
Alamosa, Colorado
“Comfortable and Safe, Plus Close to the Interstate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

On my drive to Yellowstone, it was time to stop for the night near Rawlins, WY. I took the first Interstate exit (driving west) and immediately many motels were right there. However, I also needed food, so began looking for that. I turned north and immediately saw a sign advertising Penny's Diner. Wow! I love diners, having grown up back East; the diner became my goal. It was right ahead and right nextdoor is the Oak Tree Inn. However, there is no "office" at the Oak Tree Inn; you arrange for a room in the Diner! When you check in at the Diner, they give you a coupon worth $7 for breakfast at Penny's. (Basically, a free breakfast.) The motel is 2 story, clean, and was everything I needed for my short stay, including blackout curtains. When I turned out the light, the room was blacker than black. It's near the highway, but I heard no noise and slept great. One negative: as I went to sleep, there was a smell in the room of maybe a pine cleaner, so although I dislike air conditioning, I turned on the fan which took care of that immediately. One more comment (and more important): when I was unloading my car, a woman parked next to me, and I told her about getting a room in the Diner. She was desperate for a room and also traveling alone. She told me she had already stopped three times (the motels I'd seen just off the Interstate); two of them were full, she found a room at the third motel. However, as she was unloading her car, two men were taunting her and making her very nervous, so she got her money back and still needed to find a room. I felt safe at the Oak Tree and fortunate to have found it easily. We ran into each other again at breakfast and ate together. The Oak Tree Inn was just what I needed for my short stay in Rawlins. Feeling safe is my highest priority when looking for a motel on my travels.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank jane_g_co
GM_OTI, Manager at Oak Tree Inn Rawlins, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Jane,

Thank you for the review. Our goal is to provide a clean, comfortable and safe night's stay at a fair price. We are happy we met your expectations. We will work on resolving possible lingering odors from cleaning. We hope you are able to visit again in the future. Thank you for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

The room was very and very large. However the smell of cleaning supplies was overwhelming. Cheap and got just about the right value for the money. Nothing impressive. Took a while to get to the room as checkin is in the restaurant. That's the good news. Free breakfast included with room at the Diner. Food was excellent and a $20-$30 value. No hair dryer, never is at this price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank myshorepath
Dayton, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Just stayed there for the fourth time in 2 years. This will be my last. The cleanliness that first attracted me has deteriorated fast. The overall room experience is poor. The rooms are getting shabby and in need of a facelift. The bathroom smelled moldy and in desperate need of a caulk job. The bathrooms need to be cleaned after each guest...not just wiped down. Some of the light bulbs were burned out and the wireless was slllloooowwwww. I'll be looking for another stop next time...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gurne100

Travellers are raving about these Rawlins hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Clean hotel, quiet rooms, free breakfast in the diner! Would recommend anytime.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Western New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My son and stayed here on a fast trip between Iowa and las Vegas. This was a great place to stay. The room was comfortable, but the breakfast was oustanding. Instead of serving a cold buffet, you get a coupon with credit for breakfast at a first rate dine that will serve you a cooked to order breakfast. Outstanding!!

My son wants to reroute future travels just so he can stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We are working out of town, company turned us on to this place. Well all seemed well, showers clean, had cable,and that was about all that was good.
I got a call from my co-workers.
They found socks and a par of nasty underware under the bed.
Hair on the sheets, like a dog was rolling around under the covers.
I got to looking and I had hair in my sheets.
The carpet in both rooms just sick.
Worst $70.80 ever spent.
I am usely not to picky, and most likely would have overlooked a lot of it.
And beds are really hard....

• Stayed October 2011
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Very nice friendly staff in both the hotel and the diner. The room was clean but could be easily upgraded by adding better shampoo and tissues that wouldn't be compared to sandpaper. Good for an overnight stay. Excellent breakfast included in the diner that a nice change from the usual motel breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple