“Overpriced, understaffed, terrible diner.”

Oak Tree Inn Rawlins
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
Kalispell, Montana
“Overpriced, understaffed, terrible diner.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Diner was a huge disappointment. Could have been a cute 50's style diner. It was horrible and dirty. There is no lobby or hotel staff that you can find in case of emergency. If we had not been too tired to try and undo our reservation and credit card payment, we would not have stayed there. The online photo of the place was taken from the only angle that could hide the dirty, vacant, garbage strewn lots that surround it. Way overpriced for what you get. It's a $49.00 motel at best.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Vanity101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rosemount, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have had issues staying in wyoming in general and Rawlins in particular. My first stay at the Oak Tree Inn was the best of the 4 times I have stayed there. It is a decent motel which is fairly new, clean and well maintained. In my opinion it is over priced but that seems to be the norm in Rawlins. A full breakfast is included with the stay at the adjacent diner and is a lot better than the so called "hot" breakfast served at many motels. The free breakfast helps to lessen the blow of the price. It is a 3 story motel and I requested a room on the first floor for convenience of loading and releaving my dog. I was placed in room 126 and it worked so well that I requested the same room on my return trip and was told I could have it. They write all reservation info down on a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper which you can easily see when you check in. On my return trip they placed me in a 2nd floor room. I could see on the paper that someone had written rm 126 and crossed it out and than wrote another first floor room number and crossed it out and than wrote rm 205 which is what I got. I asked the man checking me in how this could happen and he said "I don't know". Undaunted, I stayed there 2 months later and again asked for room 126 when I made the reservation 3 weeks in advance. I was told I could have rm 126 on the way out and rm 124 on the way back. When I arrived I was placed in rm 206. I could see where someone had crossed out 126 and wrote 206 in. On the way back, I was told that I did not have a reservation at all. I was asked a lot of questions about what day I called. who I spoke with and what time of day that I called. Finally, the man checking me in, found my reservation filed in the 3 ring binder for the next day although the correct day was on it. He than gave me a room on the 3rd floor. I could see that someone had written rm 124 and crossed it out.
The man checking me in had the audacity to tell me his name and that he would be on duty till 10 if I had any special requests. I simply replied that it apparantly does no good since they gave my room away 3 consecutive times.

The moral to this story is: If you are looking for a decent, overpriced and badly managed motel, this one is for you. As for me, I will stay there no more.

Gary K

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gary k

Travellers are raving about these Rawlins hotels

Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Oak Tree Inn completely met my needs on a long road trip--comfortable, clean, moderately priced and easy to reach from I-80 (a short distance up US Hwy 287 North). Check-in is at Penny's Diner, next to the hotel, which also serves a full hot breakfast with generous portions, included in the cost of your room. Rooms have microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, and lots of TV channels. I had a good-sized double with queen beds, a desk and easy chair. The bed was comfortable, towels and linens of good quality, and there was prompt and plentiful hot water in the tub shower. Fixtures and furnishings appear to be relatively new. Free wi-fi is included, but I never logged on, so I can't speak to signal quality. I found it to be quiet the one night in August that I stayed there--certainly no road noise is audible. Check-in at the diner was friendly and efficient. One minor inconvenience is that my room was not well lit. There's a light in the entryway, a floor lamp and a desk lamp in the room, but no overhead or bedside lamps. A City Market supermarket is handily located in a shopping center across the street. I travel across Wyoming once a year in summer and have stayed in several different motels in Rawlins. Oak Tree Inn compares very favorably in comfort, cleanliness and cost, and I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms open onto interior hallways in a 3-story structure with elevators. I could not discern any are...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Glenmere7
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Decent no frills hotel. Rooms were clean and quiet. Location is good if you are traveling north or south on 287. If you are traveling east or west on 80, might be a bit out of the way. Breakfast was excellent! However, if you have anything to drink beside tea or coffee it is extra. Two glasses of milk (I guess large was the only size they had) and a tip came $10.00.....so breakfast wasn't free.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We found this place via a hotel discount book and had a coupon to stay for $64.95+ tax. it was totally worth the price despite nearby hotels/motels/inns being cheaper.

1. The rooms were clean, no squeeking in the matress, micro/coffee maker working (coffee maker does need cleaning) and facilities all in good working order.

2. Staff were very friendly and helpful which is a big plus after being on the road for 12 hours with another 12 hour drive coming.

3. We were not able to use any of their facilities like the fitness room so am unable to comment. Only thing we did use was their ice machine which was on the ground floor, but the travel is eased by their single elevator.

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

It's cheap, free wifi, free breakfast at the diner and v. clean. They have laundry facility on site which is super handy. Check in for the hotel is actually done inside the diner which I thought was quite amusing. I've never seen that before!

AC was quiet, bedding was comfortable (pillows not so).there is a fridge and microwave in the room. Everything was better than I had expected.

Staff are friendly and it's location is close to the town and v. close to huge grocery store which is down the road, a min drive away.

Oh and when we woke up the next morning, we even saw Elks walking thru the parking lot!

Room Tip: Laundry- be prepared to have plenty of quarters. $1 for wash, $1 for dryer and $1 for soap. expect a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OJ07
colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

The reservation office is located in the cafe next to the motel and that is where you get your free breakfast in the morning. The motel seems to be fairly new and is very clean. Our room was well furnished and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast the next morning was quite good,ie,
real breakfast food instead of the usual motel breakfasts. Staff was very friendly. A good place to stay at if you are traveling on I-80 or heading northwest toward Yellowstone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple