“Passing through”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
Franklin, North Carolina
“Passing through”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were on our way to Grand Tetons and tired. Found coupon in hotel magazine and read some good reviews. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast at Penny's diner was good, although not completely free. They give you $7.75 toward breakfast, but most of them are over $8 without a drink. We got a good breakfast for about $5 extra with the tip.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dina P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We just happened upon this nice place, as we were traveling through the country. A very quaint diner next door that we were given a complimentary breakfast to. The best country fried steak and eggs, yummy. (had leftovers but unhappily not able to take them with us) Service was wonderful from all staff, hotel and diner. Nice to be able to have that friendly neighborly atmosphere when you are away from home. The beds were very comfy, clean rooms and even some are to give my dog a work out. This was a first time for me with this chain, but will certainly remember their hospitality on our next outing, make it a destination over-nite stay for yourselves as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bozz44
Oregon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a wonderful hotel, better than another place I stayed for twice as much. Traveling around with 3 people and two dogs. Pets are welcome, no extra fee. Free wi-fi, room had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, nice tv. Very clean, and the people very friendly. Includes breakfast from a great little diner next door, and I mean a full order off the menu breakfast, not just a continental bagel and juice. I will stay here again and again, and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Albion, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Four of us stayed here on our way through the area. We called ahead the same day and reserved two rooms. We got exactly what we asked, (king bed, non smoking, etc). The room was clean and nice.
The check in, (and check out), was quite a chore as the person behind the glass wasn't the frendliest, or most ambitious. Both girls were slow, bothered, and unfriendly, (check in was about 6:30 PM and we checked out at 5:30 AM with two different girls).
The diner attached to the hotel, (also where you check in and out), was very good. The waitress was very friendly and efficient, and the food was very good, and quick.
The value was decent as the full breakfast was included with the room price. I don't want to put poor service as the waitress was very nice, and good at her job, but they should put a camera over the check in/out and remove the two girls from that position. Would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
lake in the hills
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

On our road trip from Illinois to California we pick up Hotel coupons this was the Green guide. Then I check reviews here on trip advisor. This hotel had bad and good reviews. But let me tell you our experience. .....huge double queen room with comfy beds and my husband wanted to find out what kind of shower that was....it was the best shower we have ever experienced in a hotel!! The breakfast was perfect and free:) what a great deal and thanks for the night!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NettynSam
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Diner was a huge disappointment. Could have been a cute 50's style diner. It was horrible and dirty. There is no lobby or hotel staff that you can find in case of emergency. If we had not been too tired to try and undo our reservation and credit card payment, we would not have stayed there. The online photo of the place was taken from the only angle that could hide the dirty, vacant, garbage strewn lots that surround it. Way overpriced for what you get. It's a $49.00 motel at best.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Vanity101

Travellers are raving about these Rawlins hotels

Rosemount, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have had issues staying in wyoming in general and Rawlins in particular. My first stay at the Oak Tree Inn was the best of the 4 times I have stayed there. It is a decent motel which is fairly new, clean and well maintained. In my opinion it is over priced but that seems to be the norm in Rawlins. A full breakfast is included with the stay at the adjacent diner and is a lot better than the so called "hot" breakfast served at many motels. The free breakfast helps to lessen the blow of the price. It is a 3 story motel and I requested a room on the first floor for convenience of loading and releaving my dog. I was placed in room 126 and it worked so well that I requested the same room on my return trip and was told I could have it. They write all reservation info down on a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper which you can easily see when you check in. On my return trip they placed me in a 2nd floor room. I could see on the paper that someone had written rm 126 and crossed it out and than wrote another first floor room number and crossed it out and than wrote rm 205 which is what I got. I asked the man checking me in how this could happen and he said "I don't know". Undaunted, I stayed there 2 months later and again asked for room 126 when I made the reservation 3 weeks in advance. I was told I could have rm 126 on the way out and rm 124 on the way back. When I arrived I was placed in rm 206. I could see where someone had crossed out 126 and wrote 206 in. On the way back, I was told that I did not have a reservation at all. I was asked a lot of questions about what day I called. who I spoke with and what time of day that I called. Finally, the man checking me in, found my reservation filed in the 3 ring binder for the next day although the correct day was on it. He than gave me a room on the 3rd floor. I could see that someone had written rm 124 and crossed it out.
The man checking me in had the audacity to tell me his name and that he would be on duty till 10 if I had any special requests. I simply replied that it apparantly does no good since they gave my room away 3 consecutive times.

The moral to this story is: If you are looking for a decent, overpriced and badly managed motel, this one is for you. As for me, I will stay there no more.

Gary K