“Nice Hotel, Poor TV”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Rawlins
Meeker, Colorado
“Nice Hotel, Poor TV”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just an overnight stay since roads are closed. Nice hotel, and clean. But the TV...why put a high def TV in a room with a crap signal? Their channel guide shows many channels in HD, but when you go to them there is no signal. And of course the premium channel, HBO, has horrible picture; kind of a blurry fuzzy thing going on. Also, I got a bonus- the person who came to the room to look at the tv, whom I'm sure knew nothing, I got to see her butt crack! GREAT!

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for leaving us a review on Tripadvisor. I apologize for the issues you mentioned with your television reception. The winter storm we experienced did cause our cable company to experience trouble with the cable reception. We hope you choose to stay with us again. Making Friends One Guest At Time.
Doreen M. Cruz, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
SLC, UT
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our family drove from Utah to the Black Hills and booked a room in Rawlins for our return trip. After driving through Rawlins on the way to South Dakota and seeing the hotels, we decided to cancel at the other hotel and book with Holiday Inn Express because it looked so much nicer. I only mention this because as with a previous reviewer, I too noticed a significant difference in the taxes for this hotel versus the other hotel. I booked both rooms through Expedia and the taxes for the original $78 room were $6 or 8%. Taxes on the $94 Holiday Inn room were $18.80 or 20%. No explanation for the higher taxes. Otherwise, the hotel was very clean and quiet. The pool was clean and kid friendly. The breakfast offered many options including eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon, pancakes, yogurt and various bread choices.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for leaving us a review on Tripadvisor. You mentioned that you booked through Expedia for your recent stay with us and that you noticed tax differences. I can tell you that we charge a total of 8% for taxes at our hotel. 6% State Tax, and 2% Bed Occupancy. This is what we are mandated by the state to charge. I am not sure what Expedia charged you as far as taxes etc, but I would adivise if you have further questions to contact Expedia in reference to taxes, and I would also be glad to help with any other questions you may have. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and felt that our breakfast had many options for you. We do hope to see you again. If you have any questions, or if I can help in any other way, please contact me at 307-324-3760
Making Friends One Guest At A Time.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were glad to have this place in the middle of nowhere when we were snowed in. Staff could have been more friendly but we were there for a warm shelter not company. We were glad to get off of the roads with so many wrecks and the highway patrol finally closed all roads so we may have been lucky to get this room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and leaving a review on Tripadvisor. We are very glad to hear that you were able to find a room at our hotel during the recent snow storm. We hope that you are able to stay with us again in the furute. Making Friends One Guest At A Time.
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I was traveling to Rock Springs and after hitting a patch of bad weather, decided to stop for the night in Rawlins, WY. I had no reservation and the parking lot was full. The attendant at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The appearance of the lobby was clean and inviting. They had only smoking rooms left, which was not what I was hoping for, but I accepted.

If you're a non-smoker, the smoking rooms will probably bother you a lot. It did me. I knew that and accepted because I wanted a clean room at a good rate.

The parking lot is well lit and the the hotel is very well maintained.

I would definitely stay here again, but next time I'll check the weather and make a reservation to ensure I get a non-smoking room.

The rates are reasonable and the complimentary breakfast is really pretty good. I'm health-conscious and they had enough healthy options like greek yogurt, fruit, and oatmeal for me to feel like I had a satisfying breakfast.

I've stayed at a couple of other places in Rawlins, because my work requires in-state travel. The Holiday Inn Express is a good mix of price and quality.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for leaving us a review about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt our breakfast provided you healthy choices. We hope that you choose to stay with us again. Making Friends One Guest At A Time.
Rescue, California
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Not sure if the weather would get worse, we stopped here for the evening after a long drive from Nebraska. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool. The beds were comfortable or our weary heads, rooms were clean. And we were very excited to know breakfast would still be available at 6am even on a Sunday morning as we planned to leave early for our trek back to CA that day! Will stay here again when passing through Rawlins, WY. Also-as far as rates-We took a trip from CA to MD & MD back to CA the first 2 weeks of March 2014...by far the best rates were booking with the hotels directly and not going through Expedia or hotels.com etc. Just FYI. We are AAA members though. So perhaps the rates on those other sites would be better if you don't belong to AAA.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for leaving us a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. I am so glad that your family enjoyed our hotel! We do hope your travels bring you and your family back to us again. We believe in Making Friends One Guest At A Time.
Doreen M. Cruz, Gerneral Manager
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I and my wife travel a lot. One of our goals is visit every state. So on our way to Idaho, we were going to stay here at the Holiday inn, on our way there and again on the way back. What I found out about the pricing, make me look elsewhere. Let me explain. Our room was going to cost 112.00 a night so for two night, it would come to 224.00 plus tax. Booking the room, the agent at hotel.com read back all my info then gave me the final price of 267.00 as the total. That right 43.00 in tax, which translates to tax rate of almost 20%. That was high, so I look for another hotel (which was right next store). There the room rate was 119.00 per night so 238.00 total price including tax came to 257.00. So tax was only 19.00, which means a tax rate of about 8%. Conclusion, holiday inn must be in a special part of town or they was luring, people in with low rate them bumping the rate back up with a “special tax or fee. So look before you book.

Room Tip: look at the bottom line
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your concern with our tax rate at our Holiday Inn Express in Rawlins, WY. I am very sorry about the confusion about the tax rate. The tax rate for our hotel is 8%. You mentioned in your Tripadvisor review that you were booking through booking.com. I can assure you that we don't have any higher tax rate compared to other hotels in Rawlins. Please call me direct and I would be more that happy to discuss with you anuy further questions or concerns you might have about our tax rate. Please call us directly here at our hotel property and we would love nothing more than to book your stay with you directly. Making Friends One At A Time.
Wheaton, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 January 2014

What more can one ask for Great Staff, Excellent Room, Customer service outstanding, so clean and nice and comfortable bed and great coffee!!! They went out of there way to make us comfortable, Breakfast was great!!

Room Tip: Quiet and comfortable!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Doreen C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rawlins, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor! I am delighted to hear that this was the best stop ever!! We belive in "Making Friends One Guest At A Time! We hope to see you again in the future!