“not the place to eat anymore”

The Bull & Bistro Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 52 Restaurants in Riverton
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Bull & Bistro offers a cozy, friendly yet spacious atmosphere, with a commitment to excellence in presenting each guest the finest cuisine and service possible. Centrally located off of Main St. near Smith's grocery store.
Sheridan, Wyoming
“not the place to eat anymore”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

We eat here every time we are in Riverton. Usually we enjoy great food and great service. This time the service was good but the food was definetly below what we had expected. Maybe they have changed cooks or food vendors or something but it was very disappointing. The food had no flavor and tasted like a frozen meal someone popped in the microwave. I hope they go back to the way they were before.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank WyoTravler13

portland, or
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't get the steak at this steak house”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

We went here because a steak house was what my wife and I were looking for. The hostess and server were nice and professional, but the decor was a bit dated. Our soup and salad were a little slow in arriving but were fine. When our main order arrived, my filet mignon looked overdone (I ordered medium rare) and when I cut into it, it was very well done. I alerted the server and she was very helpful ordering a new steak. While waiting, I tried my wife's crab risotto, it was tasty, except the risotto was hot and the pile of rock crab on top was ice cold. After a lengthy wait the server brought a new steak that appeared medium rare and she even comped the steak for the problems. The new steak was flavorless except too much salt and was little too rare for my taste. The sides weren't impressive either. The scoop of mashed potatoes were just too salty and the roasted red pepper was slimy and out of a can. I also found the toothpick that I assume was there to hold the flaccid piece of bacon around the steak hidden inside the steak. By then I just wanted out and could not enjoy the meal anymore. so if you like quality steak this is not the steak house for you.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank thejungle
Wyoming
“good food, now in a new venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

The owner/chef has relocated to the Bull and Bistro, but the Sapores experience was always satisfactory. I haven't tried the new place yet, but I understand he took the best of the old menu with him. Should be good.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Liz D
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I was pretty confident to eat here when travelling on business. Especially since it was rated at #3 Interior looks like a cafeteria. I ordered the Ribeye. Pretty pricey at $25.00 so I expected a great steak, especially since it is Wyoming. Wrong! Cut was uneven. Thick like a New York on one end to thin on the other. No way I was going to get a medium rare. I cut into it it was fatty and tough. I returned it after 4 bites, ordered dessert and was presented a bill that included the returned steak. I sent the bill back to the kitchen. Never should have bothered. No one from the kitchen even bothered to come out.

1 Thank Mark K
Northeast U.S.
“Uneven, but many promising elements”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Short version: it wasn't perfect, but I'd go back.

Long version: Decor is...strange. The tables and chairs look like McDonald's surplus, which is weird for a place that is trying high-end steakhouse entrees. Service was friendly, but not knowledgeable (see below re: beer/wine). However, our waiter, Orlando, did surprisingly well considering that the place was obviously short-staffed. Wine and beer aren't listed on the menu; when I asked the hostess for a wine list, she said they'd disappeared. Really? She was able to recite the beer offerings for my partner, but floundered, badly, when I asked about wine. I'm not talking about being able to give long speeches about terroir; I'm talking about being able to tell me if you serve pinot noir (and knowing whether that's a white wine, or a red). I was not the only patron drinking wine -- when being seated, I'd noticed two other tables with wines by the bottle, and a number of other patrons drinking it by the glass. (On the other hand, the pours by-the-glass were quite generous. Perhaps to make up for the lack of knowledge?)

Food was better, if still uneven. The salads were standard side salads, but the raspberry vinaigrette was a step up from the usual: NOT overly sweet! My baseball-cut sirloin was good (the leftovers, which I ate the next morning with scrambled eggs, were spectacular), but really unevenly cooked (outer edges well done, interior rare, when I'd asked for medium rare). Doneness shouldn't be a problem for a steak house, but it seems to be, here. As we left, we passed a woman describing her dinner over the phone, and explaining that her whole party had sent back their steaks because they were overdone. On the other hand, the sides were excellent: mashed potatoes, indisputably home-made, with just a little bit of garlic; small, whole cooked carrots (could have been cooked maybe 90 seconds longer), and mushrooms. I'd hesitated about paying an extra $3.75 for a side of sauteed mushrooms, but they were a highlight. I got a heap of small, whole mushrooms (I'd kind of been expecting slices out of a can), cooked from fresh in what tasted like a garlic/wine/butter mixture.

The star of the meal was dessert: we shared an order of gingerbread cream puffs. Again, these were obviously made in-house, from scratch, and they were perfect. Just a light, ginger-flavored pastry puff around a surprisingly light, not-overly-sweet ginger cream. Wow. We complimented the dessert, and were told that a new pastry chef had just started. GOOD HIRE.

• Visited October 2012