“Getting a good night sleep is number one on my list !!!”
Review of Hotel Wolf

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saratoga
Hotel Wolf
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saratoga
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The crisp cotton sheets smelled so good, I wished I could bring them home. I loved the ability to open the window as I love a cool sleep and I found the comforter so warm and cozy. I stayed in Rawlins the night before and had to listen to highway noise all night, never again I will stay at Wolf and drive the extra miles, there is nothing more important that getting a good night sleep. The town was so quiet you could hear a pin drop after midnight. I had a wonderful shower with full water pressure. My flat screen TV was so nice and so many stations to choose from. The restaurant is just fabulous !!! I had the 10 oz prime rib and had them put 3/4 of it in a take out container. I just tucked it into the cool open window and then packed in ice in the morning and took it home for dinner the next day. It had been a long time since I had alfalfa sprouts and I loved the " make your own salad bar" I also treated myself with the really tasty cheesecake with blueberries. I was going to take some that home but ate it all. What a great experience, to go back to those old western days yet have a flat screen TV and wonderful shower. The furnishings were just stunning and I had a little suite with a separate sitting area and beautiful bed. The cost was much less than staying at a traditional hotel in Rawlins and you just can't put a price on quiet furthermore you get the best restaurant in the area as well !!!

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a suite, and enjoy all it has to offer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mary J

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I was there Sunday night through Tuesday for business and not once did I see, hear or speak to anyone. No hotel staff, no guests.... just really empty. The room was upstairs (20 steep, crooked stairs) We got (#9) and had a street view. It really does feel like the old west, kinda. There's 2 convenience stores (gas) within walking distance, as well as the Hobo Hot Springs (which is open 24/7 year round) also close enough to walk. 2 restaurants, 1 at the hotel (lunch/dinner only) and depending on which room-type you pick, you might get to shower! We had forced baths. My hair is very long, I was not happy. No phone in room, room was VERY SMALL for a couple (intimate). I'm too modern to pay $150 for 2 nights, limited heating in rooms, no breakfast for guests (or nearby) NO HOSPITALITY AT ALL. I don't recommend this unless limited space, food and fun are "your thing" find an alternate area. This is the only hotel in the immediate area.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank HollyHansen
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The hotel was everything I expected it to be. The room was small but big enough for a single night's stay. The bed takes us most of the room and the mattress and pillows were comfortable. Although it was very cold outside, the radiator in the room was so efficient that we slept with a window partially open. Towels are fluffy. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because the hotel provides only soap. The hotel is fine if everything goes well, but we experienced problems and there is nobody here from about 10 pm until about 10 the next morning. Our toilet was stopped up and the hair dryer wasn't working and there is no one to talk to or to assist. We called the owner's cell phone and he told us to wait another hour until the kitchen people show up. Then the kitchen people said they couldn't help and we had to wait for the hotel people to show up. Then the hotel people said that we had to wait until the cleaning people showed up. We had plans for the day and yet had to spend several hours waiting to get a plunger and a hair dryer (actually my hair dried on its own while we waited...). Very disappointing start to our day. It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a public toilet available downstairs but there is not. Everything is locked up. Also, there is no breakfast available here (and since this is an old-fashioned place there is no fridge for bringing your own yogurt, juice etc) so you have to go next door and pay out the nose for a little breakfast (they even charge for the takeout container).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JodiBlonde
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The restaurant food and service was excellent but the hotel costumer service was not accommodating. The lady checking us in immediately left to the bar and did not direct us to our room. We were left to find our room with a key that had no room number on it. We had to track down that lady to get directed to our room. Once we found our room, the TV did not work but the room was cozy and clean. Also, we had to call the front desk from our cell phone to request bottled water and the staff told us to go to the kum and go four block from the hotel to get water. They did not offer to bring us water.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank helen c
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hotel Wolf is a step back in time. They opened their doors in 1893 and it has a beautiful historic feel today. Our room was large and had its own living room. The beds were quite comfortable and the room felt very home like. The property is family run. We found one of the sons running the bar and the barstools occupied by locals.

There's a fairly good steakhouse on premise. Apparently it is very popular with locals (or perhaps the choices are few) because without a reservation, on a Tuesday night, the wait was 45 minutes. Thankfully the bartender and the locals all suggested we make a reservation upon check in to the hotel.

This was our first stay in Saratoga and we were delighted to learn we could easily walk to the free, 24hr, year round hot springs in the heart of town. We also learned recently that we overlooked the nearby Snowy Mountain Brewery - also within walking distance.

There are some quirks to staying in such an historic property. I'm assuming the radiator heat had not been turned on since it was September. The room was equipped with an electric heater and a cautionary note not to use the hair dryer at the same time as the heater or you'd lose power.(see photo)

We loved our stay and will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lee H
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Historic hotel renovated with all the modern conveniences. Large rooms, some with separate sitting rooms. Very comfortable beds, high thread count sheets. We were there in mid September. No A/C but the breeze through the 2 windows in our room was delightful! Had to wait a while for hot water (we were in the very back of the hotel) but, hey, if I was over 100 years old you might have to wait for me too! Nice ambience. Sit on the front porch and imagine the cowboys coming into town for a beer in the old saloon on premises. Food in the restaurant was great! Service outstanding. Very laid back, helpful, friendly staff. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelerLY
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed in Room 20 in the back of the hotel. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable with clean, tall beds and there was a seperate little sitting room with a fold out couch that was actually comfortable! (No bar across the middle). I was worried about the noise and smoke from the hotel/bar on the first floor, but that was no issue at all. Even coming in at night, I didn't get a strong smoke smell so probably even the rooms above the bar would work if you needed to save a few bucks. My only real complaint was the street noise from the Hwy, and the noise from the people walking and dropping their suitcases on the floor above us in the apt suites. So, if noise is an issue with you, bring a loud fan and put it in the window. The food at the Wolf was OK, a little pricey for what you got, but the atmosphere was really cool, I mean, how often do you get to strut through authentic western saloon doors, belly up to a old wooden bar, slap your hand down and ask a barkeep for a beer? I felt like I was living BIg Valley!

The stairs up to the rooms are very steep, so keep that in mind if you have trouble with stairs. Also, there are only about 4 restaurants in Saratoga, all a little pricey, no fast food, but the town is really cute. You Gotta have a soak at the hot pool! The locals there are the friendliest bunch of people I have met since leaving Texas.

So if you're looking for a hotel that's a little different, I would recommend this one. Sit out on the front porch, have a beer and relax after hiking all day in the Medicine Bow Mtns. But bring a loud fan just in case.

Room Tip: No AC and street noise picks up in the morning so bring a fan. Also you may get a strong odor from...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family