“If you prefer amenities and constant service, keep driving”
Review of Hotel Wolf

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saratoga
Hotel Wolf
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saratoga
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I've been to the Wolf Hotel restaurant a number of times and the food is great at a reasonable price.

This trip I got the last room via one of the third party booking websites and ended up paying a 25 percent premium.

The check in guy mentioned this too me and I responded that I did call and was told by him the place was sold out. The bartender is also the hotel clerk and he said I was wrong.

The hotel is 120 years old and I wonder who stayed there. People were smaller then. The staircases are narrow, railings shorter and hallways narrower.

There's no air conditioning or in room fire sprinklers. The place hasn't had a fire so I suspect there isn't much to worry about. No smoking in the Wolf is really a good thing when you consider Wyoming is still pretty much a "smoke - where - you - want" kind of state.

There was no shower, but a bathtub and remember your shampoo and lotion.

I'd say, if you're an historic hotel buff, this is worth the stay. The restaurant is very good, but only open for lunch and dinner. There's no complimentary breakfast.

If you're persnickety, keep on driving.

Oh yeah, there is a pay phone!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AlanDOHashi

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed the stay. Loved the character of this old stagecoach stop on both the outside and the inside. No a/c, but it hadn't gotten hot enough to be a bother, plus there was a ceiling fan to keep the room cool during the day, and you just open the windows at night to let the cool breeze in. Only time we heard anything from the bar/restaurant downstairs was when loud patrons were leaving. Our bed was amazingly comfy, and if I could have figured out how to pack it in the suitcase I would have. Loved this place and definitely will return again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

You're sort of limited on hotels in Saratoga. I stayed here for 4 days for business in the area. You check in at the bar which is ok, but it Just means you have to wait until drink orders are filled. There is no elevator here, just a very steep set of stairs to the rooms. Luckily i was only on the 2nd floor. The room was very small with just a bed and small dresser and bedside table. The bathroom has only a tub with a sprayer. Since I am weird about sitting in a tub that others have bathed in, it made bathing a challenge. There is no AC so I would never stay here in the heat of the summer! I had the windows opened all night which gave me a nice breeze. It also made me listen to the drunks half the night hollering up and down the street. The noise made my night very uncomfortable.
The good part is that although the hotel is old, it's clean. I felt the cost was a little high for the amenities you get here though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sierra R
Reviewed 31 May 2014

If you enjoy historic places and are not put off by things that are old, then the Hotel Wolf is an excellent choice when visiting Saratoga, Wyoming. The hotel is in the absolute center of the old town so you can enjoy the shops and galleries quite easily. It is definitely casual and outdoorsy with most clients in Saratoga to hunt, fish, or hike.
We enjoyed room 20 with its seperate sitting room (although the bathroom door opens right into that room with a glorious view of the toilet). The two queen beds had antique-looking oak headboards with comfortably soft mattresses. If you're short getting on the bed could be a little bit of a challenge as they set high. The rooms are priced competively with the motels in the area (and they are just regular motel rooms, though new).
Enjoying dinner is part of the experience. The food was adequate, not spectacular. The salad bar was extensive. The service excellent.

Room Tip: With high ceilings, each lfight of stairs means a lot of steps. There is no elevator. Conversely f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The crisp cotton sheets smelled so good, I wished I could bring them home. I loved the ability to open the window as I love a cool sleep and I found the comforter so warm and cozy. I stayed in Rawlins the night before and had to listen to highway noise all night, never again I will stay at Wolf and drive the extra miles, there is nothing more important that getting a good night sleep. The town was so quiet you could hear a pin drop after midnight. I had a wonderful shower with full water pressure. My flat screen TV was so nice and so many stations to choose from. The restaurant is just fabulous !!! I had the 10 oz prime rib and had them put 3/4 of it in a take out container. I just tucked it into the cool open window and then packed in ice in the morning and took it home for dinner the next day. It had been a long time since I had alfalfa sprouts and I loved the " make your own salad bar" I also treated myself with the really tasty cheesecake with blueberries. I was going to take some that home but ate it all. What a great experience, to go back to those old western days yet have a flat screen TV and wonderful shower. The furnishings were just stunning and I had a little suite with a separate sitting area and beautiful bed. The cost was much less than staying at a traditional hotel in Rawlins and you just can't put a price on quiet furthermore you get the best restaurant in the area as well !!!

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a suite, and enjoy all it has to offer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mary J
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I was there Sunday night through Tuesday for business and not once did I see, hear or speak to anyone. No hotel staff, no guests.... just really empty. The room was upstairs (20 steep, crooked stairs) We got (#9) and had a street view. It really does feel like the old west, kinda. There's 2 convenience stores (gas) within walking distance, as well as the Hobo Hot Springs (which is open 24/7 year round) also close enough to walk. 2 restaurants, 1 at the hotel (lunch/dinner only) and depending on which room-type you pick, you might get to shower! We had forced baths. My hair is very long, I was not happy. No phone in room, room was VERY SMALL for a couple (intimate). I'm too modern to pay $150 for 2 nights, limited heating in rooms, no breakfast for guests (or nearby) NO HOSPITALITY AT ALL. I don't recommend this unless limited space, food and fun are "your thing" find an alternate area. This is the only hotel in the immediate area.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank HollyHansen
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The hotel was everything I expected it to be. The room was small but big enough for a single night's stay. The bed takes us most of the room and the mattress and pillows were comfortable. Although it was very cold outside, the radiator in the room was so efficient that we slept with a window partially open. Towels are fluffy. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because the hotel provides only soap. The hotel is fine if everything goes well, but we experienced problems and there is nobody here from about 10 pm until about 10 the next morning. Our toilet was stopped up and the hair dryer wasn't working and there is no one to talk to or to assist. We called the owner's cell phone and he told us to wait another hour until the kitchen people show up. Then the kitchen people said they couldn't help and we had to wait for the hotel people to show up. Then the hotel people said that we had to wait until the cleaning people showed up. We had plans for the day and yet had to spend several hours waiting to get a plunger and a hair dryer (actually my hair dried on its own while we waited...). Very disappointing start to our day. It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a public toilet available downstairs but there is not. Everything is locked up. Also, there is no breakfast available here (and since this is an old-fashioned place there is no fridge for bringing your own yogurt, juice etc) so you have to go next door and pay out the nose for a little breakfast (they even charge for the takeout container).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple