“Back in time”
Review of Hotel Wolf

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saratoga
Hotel Wolf
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saratoga
Edwards, CO
“Back in time”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a room here for one night on our motorcycle weekend and were really glad we did. The hotel is historic and we were worried that that might mean run-down too but it is immaculate. We had room #19 on the top floor and loved the sloped ceilings and views looking down the street. It was like stepping back in time with the furnishings and especially sitting in the tub (no shower...). The room was exceptionally clean and the bed very comfortable. We ate dinner at the restaurant and then walked over to the town hot springs. Really great evening. The drive to Saratoga is great for a motorcycle ride so we hope to do this again and will certainly stay at the Hotel Wolf.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trw325

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Even though it was built in 1893 - the Hotel Wolf is an extraordinary place to stay. I can only speak to the specific room we stayed in - Suite #20 - but, what a cool experience!! The historic accuracy and the way they've kept true to the period is amazing. Yes - there are a few modern touches, like a television & ceiling fans - but there's no air conditioning or elevators, so if you have a lot of luggage or have difficulty with stairs - this may not be for you. If you're familiar with Wyoming - the nights are nice and cool and there's always a cross-breeze to keep the temperature in the room comfortable. The sitting room has a nice couch & chair and the beds are huge and comfortable! There are radiators for heat in the colder weather - yes, just like your grandma had!!. There's a very nice restaurant & bar downstairs - and you'll need to look for the bartender when you come in to check-in for your room!! What a great place!!

Room Tip: Remember - all rooms are upstairs and there are no elevators
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank peachtree287
Red Feather Lakes, Colorado
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Spent 2 nights there Wed &, Thursday, it is such a cute, cozy hotel. Our room was #10 on the first floor, it is a steep staircase up, but you get used to it. Our room was kind of small but cozy!!! The hotel has a great bar and dining room and the best front porch to sit and watch the world go by. The staff is super friendly!!! Everything is within walking distance. Suggest making reservations at the restuarant, it was really busy even during the week.

Room Tip: get a room on the 1st floor facing the back
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sun Lakes, Arizona
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We are bicycling cross country through small town USA. After two months on the road we have experienced quite a range of accommodations with some memorable for the wrong reason. I would have to say we were expecting a somewhat less than satisfying experience when we read that this is an "historic" hotel. In my mind, "historic" is synonymous with old and nothing works very well. This hotel proved me wrong. Although the fixtures are dated, everything worked well. Be warned that there is no A/C and the rooms are all up an extremely steep flight of stairs (no elevator). Also be aware that the rooms are above the restaurant (we were in room 14). Despite being above the restaurant/bar, we really didn't experience any noise problems. Also be aware that smoking is permitted in the bar. Not sure about the restaurant since we didn't eat there. The positives: comfortable bed, good water pressure in the shower, good thick bath towels, good wifi, ceiling fan (this helps since there is no a/c), small ceiling mounted TV, decent room lighting, within walking distance to many restaurants and convenience stores (make sure you try Sweet Marie's Bakeshop just a couple blocks west of the hotel for dessert). The negatives: breakfast not included, no A/C, smoking allowed in bar and on their front porch, rooms a little snug (not much room to spread out, no onsite staff before 10 am or after 10 pm. As my title says, a very functional hotel. If you're looking for a lot of personal service, stay elsewhere. But realistically, I don't think there are any hotels in Saratoga that offer much in the way of hand holding. Give it a try.

Stayed July 2014
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I've been to the Wolf Hotel restaurant a number of times and the food is great at a reasonable price.

This trip I got the last room via one of the third party booking websites and ended up paying a 25 percent premium.

The check in guy mentioned this too me and I responded that I did call and was told by him the place was sold out. The bartender is also the hotel clerk and he said I was wrong.

The hotel is 120 years old and I wonder who stayed there. People were smaller then. The staircases are narrow, railings shorter and hallways narrower.

There's no air conditioning or in room fire sprinklers. The place hasn't had a fire so I suspect there isn't much to worry about. No smoking in the Wolf is really a good thing when you consider Wyoming is still pretty much a "smoke - where - you - want" kind of state.

There was no shower, but a bathtub and remember your shampoo and lotion.

I'd say, if you're an historic hotel buff, this is worth the stay. The restaurant is very good, but only open for lunch and dinner. There's no complimentary breakfast.

If you're persnickety, keep on driving.

Oh yeah, there is a pay phone!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AlanDOHashi
Griffin, Georgia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed the stay. Loved the character of this old stagecoach stop on both the outside and the inside. No a/c, but it hadn't gotten hot enough to be a bother, plus there was a ceiling fan to keep the room cool during the day, and you just open the windows at night to let the cool breeze in. Only time we heard anything from the bar/restaurant downstairs was when loud patrons were leaving. Our bed was amazingly comfy, and if I could have figured out how to pack it in the suitcase I would have. Loved this place and definitely will return again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 June 2014

You're sort of limited on hotels in Saratoga. I stayed here for 4 days for business in the area. You check in at the bar which is ok, but it Just means you have to wait until drink orders are filled. There is no elevator here, just a very steep set of stairs to the rooms. Luckily i was only on the 2nd floor. The room was very small with just a bed and small dresser and bedside table. The bathroom has only a tub with a sprayer. Since I am weird about sitting in a tub that others have bathed in, it made bathing a challenge. There is no AC so I would never stay here in the heat of the summer! I had the windows opened all night which gave me a nice breeze. It also made me listen to the drunks half the night hollering up and down the street. The noise made my night very uncomfortable.
The good part is that although the hotel is old, it's clean. I felt the cost was a little high for the amenities you get here though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business