“Slice of Heaven”

The Lodge and Spa at Brush Creek Ranch
Malibu, California
“Slice of Heaven”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at Brush Creek Ranch. The ranch itself is one of the most stunning properties I have even see anywhere in the world. It has that special something that cannot be defined by words it is magic. Beauty surrounds you everywhere you look there are creeks, mountains, ever changing majestic clouds, lightning and brilliant sun, pink sunsets and the calm windless dusk. The service was above and beyond a world class 5 star hotel. Not only did every single staff member exceed our expectations they do their job with all their heart. Our satisfaction was a personal matter and we felt it. There are so many activities to choose from. Many which were far outside my comfort zone but I always felt safe, supported and had an absolute blast. The lodge creates a convivial atmosphere and we made deep and personal connections with other guests. By doing various activities together and dining together the connections are authentic. While our other trips out of the country were "big" and full of history and information. This trip was deeply meaningful . My daughter and I discovered similarities and bonded in a way not possible at home. We were spoiled in every way. They even made my particular "green drink" every morning which had never been offered anywhere no less waiting for me every morning. Each meal was superb . You can be as healthy or as decadent as you want. All offerings were made for each meal. We could choose our wines from the cellar each night if we wanted although Chris always has a wonderful option as well. Just going in to the wide open cellar and reading through the selections was an experience. We met families from all over the country with very different stories but it all fell away at the ranch. Kids played freely with each other without judgment and there was a genuine camaraderie among the adults. The accommodations had stunning views were immaculately clean and we loved driving our ranger around the ranch. A visit to the gem of a spa offered a truly unforgettable massage and professional facial that can't be found in most cities. Well worth taking a little time to rejuvenate and clean up after a few days of getting dirty. Brush Creek Ranch will stay in your heart. It simply could not get better. We could not possibly give a higher recommendations. The ranch provides world class luxury with heart. Another benefit is that once you get to the ranch you never have to reach into your wallet! Tips are included in the price and only private lessons or special rides are extra charge that they work out after you have checked out. In sum the property is breathtaking, the accommodations are immaculate, the staff is first class, the activities are safe controlled and as fun as you want to make them! It does not get better than Brush Creek Ranch, We will be back.

1 Thank MalibuMazz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This place could not be more perfect or beautiful. We stayed as a massive business group of nearly 80 people last year in June.

Our first day, we watched herds of horses running past the lodge where we were having tea and set out on a huge array of activities from archery, fly fishing, horse back riding, paintball, axe throwing...my goodness! There was SO much to do, even though I was tempted to simply sit and watch the amazing sunsets or watch the wildlife.

The service was fantastic. Every single person we encountered clearly loved their jobs and were wonderful in every aspect. The food is fantastic and the surroundings are just impossibly beautiful. I highly recommend this place for pretty much anything, whether it's a honeymoon, a family retreat, a business trip or even a solo trip. The ranch is so spread out that you could really go without catching sight of another guest if you really didn't want to.

The food quality absolutely did not suffer, despite our huge groups! The spa is unbelievable. I've received some of the best massages here in my entire life.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 June 2014

50th Anniversary Family Reunion required major research on where to take 23, ages 2-69. With some apprehension, we chose Brush Creek Ranch at my urging, and I held my breath until we arrived at Magee for my wife's first viewing. Magee and its compound are so beautiful that she started to cry with joy. Not a bad start.
It only went up hill from there. The rooms are outstanding reconstructions of 150 year old cabins, but newer buildings like Magee and the main lodge buildings are spectacular log constructions with furnishings that make Ralph Lauren look shabby. The physical setting is breathtaking from every window, every walkway, every venue.
But those 60,000 acres are only a backdrop to the unsurpassed service. The staff does much more than exceed expectations. It anticipates what guests will need and delivers. If you ask for pinot grigio and its not available (on the free wine offerings), pinot grigio is available the next night and thereafter. Staff members at the shooting range teach respect for weapons as well as how to use them; on the archery course you find the same attitude: what can staff do to enhance the guest experience; mountain biking staff were on top of a great ride, which ended in a doctor required injury. Horseback riding is superb. How often have you participated in a cattle drive? The ropes course is a teambuilder for the entire family. Tightroping at 30 feet with a scared 10 year old was handled fantastically, culminating in a very proud young man. Hiking is a wonder on this pristine ranch. There is no end to the opportunities for every traveler.
In summary: this was the best travel experience this family planner has had in 40 years. Bar none.

Room Tip: If you choose Magee, you are 5 miles away from the main lodge. Was great for us, but there were 23...
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This property exceeded any Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton where we had previously stayed. The property is new and lush and every detail is exciting and well thought out. The views are some of the best in Wyoming. There are many activities like horseback riding, fly fishing, paintball, archery, and more, and they are available to experts or beginners. The Anglers “cabin” we stayed in was really a three bedroom log cabin with a full kitchen, washer/dryer and beautiful front porch to enjoy each evening.

The food, gourmet quality at all three meals, featured great beef and wonderful desserts. Before dinner, the all guest cocktail hour is a perfect way to meet people and have some laughs. During our stay, even corporate groups mixed well with guests to create one big party each night. The Saloon is a fun place to have a drink and also plays the best selection of music I have heard in a long time.

The staff knows the profile of each guest and all of them knew that my son had just graduated, congratulating him when they saw him. They truly connect with each guest. When there were not enough people signed up for paintball, the staffers came in on their day off so that we could muster two solid teams. That was service I had never received anywhere else. Each activities person knows all about their sport and they are eager to teach and help you get the most out of it. They taught me to fly fish in one lesson.

Brush Creek Ranch combines all the best service and food of a five star hotel with a fantastic natural setting and lodging quality usually not available so far from a city. The staff is so good I guarantee you’ve never seen service like this anywhere. This was the best run property we have ever stayed at. Their website describes everything accurately---you’ll be relaxed just viewing it.

4 Thank Steve J
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Wow!!!
Our family vacation to Brush Creek Ranch has left us with memories to last a lifetime! This was one of the most engaging, unique and enjoyable times that we've ever experienced as a family. From the moment we entered the Ranch, with its beautiful and iconic rock formations, meadows and mountain scenery, we knew we had entered a special and magical place. The setting is breathtaking and awe-inspiring, but what makes BCR so amazing is the incredible staff and the attention to detail that goes into every aspect of your stay.

The owners, Bruce White, a well-rspected and successful figure in the lodging and hospitality industry, and his wife Beth, have taken the best of this huge, rustic historic working ranch and spared no expense transforming it into a world-class boutique luxury guest ranch, with a warm, Old West feel. The've taken great care in restoring the original log structures to retain the rugged beauty and Old West character of the ranch, and to meld it with all the modern amenities you would expect in an exclusive resort property. Their frequent presence at their vacation residence on the property, mingling and socializing with the guests, creates a warm and personal experience. The Whites and GM Mike Williams have assembled a spectacular staff, all of whom know and love their particular craft, and are fully committed to providing all the guests an exceptional, personal and memorable experience. They are a young, attractive and energetic bunch who all seem thrilled to be working at BCR, and their enthusiasm is contagious. They constantly made themselves available, are kind, friendly, and knowledgeable. They did everything to accommodate all our needs, and made us feel welcome and special. They had extensive knowledge of all the workings of the ranch and surrounding environs, and after getting to know each of us and our personalities and interests, they often suggested additional activities to make our ranch experience the best it could be. They even set up a photographer to take our Christmas picture, on horses, with the spectacular towering mountains of the Sierra Madre and Medicine Bow National Forest as a backdrop. Mike Williams made himself constantly accessible to all the guests, taking particular interest in sitting with guests at meals, getting to know them and making inquiries as to guest needs and preferences, inviting comments in order to continually improve the experience.

My 12 year-old daughter, an experienced equestrian in the English discipline, was thrilled to have the ranch hands work with her on Western riding, and taught her to barrel-race, while my 10 year old son kept going back to the rock climbing wall, geo-caching and mountain bike riding. Our family regularly enjoyed the ropes course and zip-lining, and we played paintball with the other guests on a unique rugged hillside and canyon site, did archery, fishing, hiking, and in the vicinity of the lodge, played horseshoes, darts, and pool. My wife and I found ourselves gravitating back to the archery and skeet-shooting, where we enjoyed personal instruction and the undivided attention of the guides. The archery, pistol and rifle range, and skeet stations were amongst the most well-designed and equipped that I have ever seen. The activities lodge was exceedingly well-equipped with an abundance of the highest quality sports equipment, and the staff was exceedingly accommodating in procuring any other equipment desired. I spent a very enjoyable morning on a prairie-dog hunt with one of the guides, and another couple of mornings fly-fishing with a personal guide on the Platte River. Other days we changed gears and opted for a relaxing day at the spa, and often just sat out on the deck watching the roaming bison and the sun set over the spectacular Wyoming countryside, or in the gorgeous lodge at the fireplace having a glass of wine or reading a book. While the adults congregated in the saloon at night for live music and libations, the kids joined up with their newfound friends for nightly basketball and dodge-ball games at the indoor court, and played foosball at the arcade. The sunrise yoga and sunset cocktails high on Falcon Peak was an exceptional experience. The opportunities were endless, and we found ourselves having so much fun that we extended our vacation another three days.

The cuisine is exceptional…gourmet western. Meals are served in various beautiful venues on a rotating basis; the lodge, the chuck wagon, and fun creekside cookouts on Brush Creek. On two occasions, the dining room staff even set up a special family dinner for us in the private dining room with our own dedicated wait staff.

The accommodations and amenities are truly top notch, on par with any world-class luxury hotel, offering both private cabins, or lodge rooms, which our family opted for, as it put us at the epicenter of the activities. The lodge had a feel similar to the Grand Awahnee Lodge in Yosemite…absolutely gorgeous! The absence of televisions in the rooms initially seemed daunting, especially with two children, however we immediately were fully immersed in the whole experience, and not only didn't miss our electronics, but were happy to be free of them. Although the all-inclusive itinerary initially seemed expensive, there were no additional costs at all, which allowed us to fully enjoy our stay without finding ourselves reaching into our pockets. The all-inclusive rate allows free access to the wine cellar and bar among other things, and if you absolutely have to watch TV, that can be enjoyed on a big screen in the well-appointed Cattle Baron's Lounge. Our vacation was absolutely worth every penny!
Brush Creek Ranch is a truly unique and special amalgam of wilderness, Old West ranch atmosphere, luxury, and world class hospitality that must be experienced! They have truly spoiled us, and have set a high bar for any future vacations to attain. We can't wait to return, either with friends or possibly a large family reunion.
The Reisch Family
Pasadena CA

Room Tip: Our family enjoyed staying in the Main Lodge, where we were at the epicenter of activities, and coul...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert R
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My business team went out there in January 2014 for a week long outing. Food was incredible, staff was fantastic, and amenities were great. It reminded me of being at a luxury safari in South Africa, just different location and climate. Would come back in summer with friends and family.\

Can't opine on Spa or Swimming Pool since didn't use it.

Room Tip: We were there in winter. Only issue I had with my room is that it got super dry. The main lodge may...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I went with a group of about 40 people to the Ranch in mid-January. We had a fantastic time. The staff was exceptional, the activities were fun, and the amenities were top notch.

Staff: from the people making dinner to the people taking us ice fishing, everyone at the ranch was polite and knowledgeable. I have special dietary needs, and I was extremely impressed by how one of the staff members made sure to personally tell me the ingredients of every meal that could disagree with my stomach.

Activities: during my 4 day trip, I went snowmobiling, ice fishing, and sledding. The guide for each activity was knowledgeable and helpful. Moreover, the guides tailored their training to everyone's individual skill level (for example, I had never been fishing before, and my ice fishing guide helped walk me through the basics).

Amenities: From bowls of spiced nuts at every table to warm fireplaces in the common areas, the amenities at the Ranch were a 10 out of 10.

I highly recommend visiting the Ranch. You will have a great time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saratoga
Old Corral Hotel
#4 of 5 in Saratoga
CopperLine Lodge
CopperLine Lodge
#4 of 8 in Saratoga

Been to The Lodge and Spa at Brush Creek Ranch? Share your experiences!