“A perfect "Daddy/Daughter" Bonding time-- a forever memory!”
Review of Medicine Bow Lodge

and 1 more site!
Medicine Bow Lodge
Denver, Colorado
“A perfect "Daddy/Daughter" Bonding time-- a forever memory!”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My 13 year-old daughter and I just returned home from a 5 day stay at the Medicine Bow Lodge and had the time of our lives. To be honest, we are usually more "high-end travelers"-- not to be obnoxious, but our family usually travels in more comfort and with more diversions. But, my daughter and I felt that it was time for a true Western vacation... with days filled with horses and adventure and nights of quiet comfort and hanging out. And, we truly got what we desired.

The accommodations are somewhat spartan-- but that is the reality of a vacation where you should NOT be hanging out in your room. Except to sleep and change clothes, we were always about. The riding was exceptionally good and safe. My daughter is quite an accomplished rider. And, I can pretty well fake it. But, they found the right horses for us and we did no "nose-to-tail" riding, which I hate. We were able to enjoy a myriad of environments and rides of great variety. And, when appropriate... and to use my daughter's words... we were allowed to "really haul butt." I have never had such a thrill as to watch her take off on a huge beast and hear her delight at recounting the story again and again. (Note: she is an experienced rider and they made sure that such "craziness" was ok with her and me!) They let you ride to your ability and comfort. (And, as a note to parents of very young kids-- they made exceptional efforts to help the really young ones get horse time twice daily in a very safe manner.)

The lodge is small and the sense of community quickly becomes very real. Everyone ended up watching the littlest kids and no one was unruly. The pre-teens and teens were able to split off and hang out in the safe environment. We all ate together in a jumble of families and new friends. They do not serve alcohol, but we all shared what little we had--- not to excess in any way, but rather as a hanging out medium to share and laugh together after a long day's riding and before dinner. The food is great "cowboy fare" and they will accommodate your needs within reason.

There is little late night activity, except for sitting around the fire or playing pool or foosball in the lodge. But, we were so bushed from hours of riding that we passed out earlier than we usually do.

A truly peak part of our time there was the overnight horse camping trip. We rode out to a nearby area and set up camp. We all worked to get wood, arrange the food preparation, and take care of the horse. My daughter and I slept outside under the stars and were so happy to be together and sharing the time together with no technology or diversions.

So, in summary, if you are looking for a (1) low-tech, (2) no stress, (3) activity-oriented, family-friendly, (4) true Western dude ranch experience-- you need to go to the Medicine Bow Lodge.

You will connect as a family. You will learn to love horses. And, you will reacquaint yourselves with how nice it is to just be together and doing something new. And, any pretenses and "neediness" you have will just float away. Just ride. And, talk. And, enjoy.

See you there next summer!

--Michael and Sage
(Denver, CO 8/2011)

Room Tip: Be clear about what you need-- they will be very accommodating to your needs.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank docsny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Our family ( husband, daughter, mother-in-law and myself) were visiting our son who lives in Saratoga----we spent 4 wonderful days at the Medicine Bow Lodge. The setting is just spectacular-----beautiful fields of wildfowers, fabulous scenic drives, creeks, rivers, stars---the works!!!----Our hosts, Tim and Debbie were just amazing---they go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable-----the meals are just over the top-delicious---the homemade breads, soups, cakes and entrees will spoil you!---we were fishing most days and were sent off with amazing wraps to put in our cooler (BBQ briscuit--the best!)----the lodge has been completely rebuilt and is a wonderful place to relax, read, play games, and talk to Tim about life in Wyoming---he can provide you with all the info you need to enjoy a day on your own or he and/or the wranglers will take you on a wonderful horseback ride----my daughter is an experienced rider and thoroughly enjoyed a morning ride and afternoon ride ----the cabins are rustic---we stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath---clean and simple room-----nothing fancy----nice little porch outside both bedrooms----we will definately be returning and will not hesitate to recommend the Medicine Bow to our friends!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I recently came to the Medicine Bow Lodge for a church retreat. I could not have asked for a better stay. The scenery and decor was something out of a story book. The lodge and cabins were extremely clean and cozy.

The staff was incredible and so hospitable. Everyone was friendly and did everything they could to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Most of all the food was AMAZING. Gourmet home-cooked meals for every meal. It was like thanksgiving for every meal... only better. There were also tons of great activities to do like snowshoeing, snowmobiling, horseback riding, exploring the beautiful Wyoming mountains and so much more.

I throughly enjoyed my stay at the Medicine Bow Lodge and would love to come again anytime of year with my family. I highly, highly recommend taking a vacation here. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank markerta
michigan
Reviewed 15 September 2009

Just returned from a week's stay. The Bishop's hospitality was second to none. The food was outstanding and plenty of it. The entire staff made us feel welcome and part of their family. The wrangler's were attentive and entertaining (in a cowboy sort of way). Every request, even casually mentioned, was addressed immediately.

Definitely worth the trip.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
orland,ca
Reviewed 11 August 2009

three adults, six children and a dog had the time of our lives. we were there in 1972 and we're very happy to see it's still there. I wonder if the gravel plan is still there.They provided some thrills when we were riding. I wish I could go back again!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I'm so Happy to leave the first review for the Lodge. I actually came here with my boyfriend for our first anniversary a few years ago. We wanted to find something that was the opposite of our life in New York, and this place sounded perfect. After spending a week with Tim and Debbie and all their wonderful helpers, I now know it is, truly, perfect. We wanted a quiet, relaxing retreat away from it all. We weren't into spa retreats and golfing, which upped prices at most of the surrounding ranches. We just wanted to hike, ride horses, eat amazing home cooked meals, see wildlife, and sleep to the sounds of the wild. We achieved all of these goals effortlessly. The horse riding was amazing. Both of us were not very experienced and a few days into our trip were were galloping across fields and jumping over logs. It was truly amazing. Everyday we took trips to different places with new scenery and terrain. We had our own private cabin with porch and very clean cozy interior. Tim and Debbie were the most gracious hosts and always had anything we needed on hand. Theres even a TV room with a pretty good DVD selection when you want to just cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. It's pretty far away from everything, which is exactly what we wanted (which is why I gave it's location 5 stars. if you want to be close to a city, it probably wouldn't be five stars for you). It's just the kind of place that makes you feel good about life. I don't know how to put it better.

I'm happy to say we actually just booked our second trip there for our 3rd anniversary in a month, and I can't wait to go again!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We stayed at the Lodge in July 09 and had a great time. 2 adults and daughters age 11 and 13. The horseback riding was lots of fun and was geared to our level (that is not proficient.) The food was excellent and was cooked on site and individual needs/preferences were accommodated. The staff was very friendly. A great vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saratoga
The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel
#5 of 8 in Saratoga
CopperLine Lodge
CopperLine Lodge
#4 of 8 in Saratoga

Been to Medicine Bow Lodge? Share your experiences!