“Great experience - advance riding, facilities, staff, and guests”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
Palo Alto, California
“Great experience - advance riding, facilities, staff, and guests”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I took my 13yo daughter for a six days. She is a regular rider, and I ride once a year on trips like this one. We choose this ranch for the location, riding, food, and the international staff and guests. We were not disappointed.

Everything people have written is spot on. So I wont repeat all of that. A couple of pointers for people evaluating ranches

1. Riding -- The hideout is all about horses and riding. You get to do real riding and work, and they will let tailor the rides to your experience level. As the days go by, and you gain more experience they will let you change horses (more advance, or easier), and go on more challenging rides. We did 2 all day rides and some half day rides. All day means 8:30am - 4:30pm, with a break for lunch. We rode in small groups of 2-3 riders with a wrangler, except when we did the cattle herding. We have been to a couple of other ranches, and the riding experience here was the best of all of them

2. Location -- The hideout is one of the last places to be settled in the US. So you get to experience so wide open country. Its important that the location have some attractions for riding. Here you get to ride in the basin and the big horn mountains.

3. Food -- We are foodies, so we wanted something good at the end of the day. They have a gourmet chef who makes great dishes. They tailored the food to people needs. My daughter is a vegetarian so they made her something special every meal. Finally, they have a cocktail bar, and serve unlimited wine during dinner. Very nice touch. Most ranches are BYOB, but I prefer the ranch providing the wine and cocktails.

4. Size -- size matters. You want to go to a ranch that offers personal touches, and makes you feel part of it. You can't get that when they are 40+ guests running around. The hideout is typically 25 guests, which is perfect size.

Finally, be a cowboy for a week
- boots and riding socks
- a good cowboy hat
- long sleeve western shirts
- wrangler jeans
- gloves
- rain jacket

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jtooley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Brookeville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We still have one more day here, but I can't help but write my review early. Our vacation to the Hideout in June, 2013 has been spectacular. As a professional in the equine industry, I can attest to the excellent horse care and horsemanship. Tom (the head wrangler) and the other wranglers do a great job making sure that the guests are properly mounted and comfortable with their horse and tack. I'm impressed by how accommodating and they are, and how they really strive to make this vacation exactly what you want it to be... if you want to ride all day, you can. If you don't, you don't have to.

The food is fantastic and Shaina is a very creative gourmet chef! I love that the ranch is family owned and operated, and they join the guests for cocktail hour and dinner.

We really enjoyed the fly fishing trip with Mike and Rick from "The Humble Fly." If you've never been to a rodeo, go the the rodeo in Cody on Wednesday night, but be prepared to see a bit of the "real west," and not Tom's natural horsemanship. Speaking of which, the natural horsemanship clinic was very good, and proved to be especially beneficial to novice riders, as it helped them learn how to read and communicate with a horse. Team penning and cattle work was also a lot of fun!

Overall, I can't say enough good things about our vacation at The Hideout, and wish we had more time here!! I will be back!

Room Tip: I'm sure they're all good! We stayed in Cabin #21.
2 Thank Christie D
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

do not know where to start, My husband and I went here in June 2013, spent 11 days in the Casitas, which r wonderful, cleaned everyday, had a living room small kitchen bedroom and bathroom, the wifi works great and had a washer dryer which is great, The view from the deck is amazing and got to be the best on the ranch, After long days in the saddle (u can ride all day or half aday or not at all what ever suites you) its time to meet up at the bar for pre dinner drinks and take a look at the photos the wranglers have been taking of your ride, The food is wonderful as is the dinning staff, all very laid back and family like, They go out of there way to make sure everything is right for you. The wranglers r great fun to be with and even for non riders will help u anyway they can, Each ride u go on whether cattle of just to take in the wonderful views of the big horn mountains or the painted hill are different everyday, The horses are a thing to behold and if u get up early enough go watch the wranglers bring them in each morning, the sight and sound is amazing. So would i recommend this Ranch, hell yer, and while I am here I will say a huge thank you to ALL the staff at the Hideout, you r all amazing, and we will be back next year

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank larlaruk
Marine City, Michigan
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Just finished a trip of a life time at the Hideout. The Hideout met all of my requirements and more. Lodgings and Food top notch. The horses in very good condition and well matched with our participants. Safety is always a concern. Shell WY has beautiful landscape. Really enjoyed the cattle drive and the ride with the mustangs. Incredible.
For me what made this vacation so much more memorable was the personable staff and management. They were always available and so considerate. Top notch people. Our group of 25 received excellent service which made everyone happy and compatible.
Theresa

South Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 June 2013

If you are looking for a real Western experience - pushing cattle, riding with wild Mustangs, steep mountain trails with majestic views, and red rock canyons - combined with upscale accommodations, fine dining, and personal attention; The Hideout delivers it all. An all around great staff from the office to the dining room to the wranglers. Best of all are good horses for all levels of riders including advanced.

1 Thank mmss33
Reviewed 24 May 2013

May 24, 2013, 4:05 PM
The destination of the year should be The Hideaway in Shell, WY.
Gormet food from a Cordin Bleu trained Chef, marvelous accommodations, a world class riding string and a definitely unique , like no where else we have been on 3 continents, location to ride in with a world class staff. Trout fishing and skeet shooting for non riders with outstanding guides and instructors for from novice to experienced fly fisherman and trap shooting novice to enthusiast.
Dr. and Mrs. Peter Becker
Sequim , WA

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Beckerp360
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

I cannot recommend this ranch enough if you are looking for a different kind of holiday.
We went with no riding experience & came away with confidence and knowledge about horses. The staff take extra care to really understand you and your abilities and adapt your orientation accordingly.
The trail rides are stunning!!! We did different treks each day and saw some amazing scenery.
The cabins are delightful, well maintained & clean. The staff are all wonderful from the wranglers (Joel is super patient & Tom with his hidden talent) the house team and the chef Sheena kept us well fed with delicious meals.
I'd like to keep this gem all to myself, but I can't, it's one of the best holidays I ever taken. Thank you Peter& Maran, we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank LP29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shell
Greybull Motel
#1 of 2 in Greybull
Sage Motel
Sage Motel
#4 of 5 in Greybull

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!