I took my 13yo daughter for a six days. She is a regular rider, and I ride once a year on trips like this one. We choose this ranch for the location, riding, food, and the international staff and guests. We were not disappointed.
Everything people have written is spot on. So I wont repeat all of that. A couple of pointers for people evaluating ranches
1. Riding -- The hideout is all about horses and riding. You get to do real riding and work, and they will let tailor the rides to your experience level. As the days go by, and you gain more experience they will let you change horses (more advance, or easier), and go on more challenging rides. We did 2 all day rides and some half day rides. All day means 8:30am - 4:30pm, with a break for lunch. We rode in small groups of 2-3 riders with a wrangler, except when we did the cattle herding. We have been to a couple of other ranches, and the riding experience here was the best of all of them
2. Location -- The hideout is one of the last places to be settled in the US. So you get to experience so wide open country. Its important that the location have some attractions for riding. Here you get to ride in the basin and the big horn mountains.
3. Food -- We are foodies, so we wanted something good at the end of the day. They have a gourmet chef who makes great dishes. They tailored the food to people needs. My daughter is a vegetarian so they made her something special every meal. Finally, they have a cocktail bar, and serve unlimited wine during dinner. Very nice touch. Most ranches are BYOB, but I prefer the ranch providing the wine and cocktails.
4. Size -- size matters. You want to go to a ranch that offers personal touches, and makes you feel part of it. You can't get that when they are 40+ guests running around. The hideout is typically 25 guests, which is perfect size.
Finally, be a cowboy for a week
- boots and riding socks
- a good cowboy hat
- long sleeve western shirts
- wrangler jeans
- rain jacket
- Also Known As:
- The Hideout Lodge And Guest Ranch
- The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch Hotel Shell
- The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch Wyoming/Shell