“FANTASTIC - Great stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
London, UK
“FANTASTIC - Great stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2009

This is a great working ranch. You really feel a part of the family and very involved in the work that the ranch does. We had some fantastic rides and views were stunning. The setting at the foot of the bighorn mountains is breathtaking. The food was amazing, Chris really produced some great dishes.
We had dinner one evening at Trapper Creek Lodge which is lovely too.
I would highly recommend the ranch to anyone who likes activity holidays, or just wants to relax and admire a working ranch in the west.
Thank you Hideout for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I just spent six nights at The Hideout and am still in awe of this facility and the operation. Without a doubt, this was the best vacation ever.

The Hideout is a true working cattle ranch where they encourage the guests to be as involved as they want to be in the ranch operations. Three of my days were spent moving cattle across various types of terrain on horseback including up a mountain. Morning, afternoon, all day rides and cattle work are all offered as options so you can ride as little or as much as you want. Our group had a broad cross section of experienced riders and guest who had never been on horseback. The staff responds to the individual needs of each guest to ensure they are comfortable with their riding choices.

Lessons on natural horsemanship and riding are also offered. The staff is very competent and patience trainers in both of these areas. Although I did not pursue it, there are numerous other options for daily activities besides horseback riding.

The food is another outstanding quality. Three meals a day in the lodge and none of them were lacking in any aspect.

There is no question that I will be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank TApfelbeck
georgetown, ky
Reviewed 10 June 2009

we have had the pleasure of going to a number of different guest ranches. the hideout provides the best of all worlds. the owners and those they employ make you feel part of the family. their love of the area is contagious. their horsemanship and care for the horses sets them apart. the variety of rides is second to none and they are very accomodating to your wishes. everyone is made to feel comfortable no matter their level of riding experience. the food is delightful and the accomodations are lovely and spotless. it is a wonderful place to arrive and a very difficult place to leave.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I flew out to experience a different type of spring break vacation. I stayed for 9 nights at The Hideout in a casita. The casita felt like a home away from home. The kitchen (fully stocked) was perfect for breakfasts and lunches, there was a washer and dryer in unit (and they provided laudry detergent and a laundry basket!), high-speed internet, and the view when I stepped on the front porch (my private front porch) was spectacular. The best part was that the view was constantly changing - in the evenings the mountains seem to change colors and on my third morning I woke up to a world covered in snow.

I had dinner several times up at Trapper's Lodge. My first night I ordered the steak. I was not dissappointed, the meat was tender and well seasoned and served with yummy vegetables. My server was Heather, very funny and she worked the room well taking care of each guest and never forgetting to check on tables or make sure the wine glasses (or water glasses) were filled and all guests were happy. For dessert I had a cheesecake with candied nuts - perfection! The ambiance of Trapper is very special, the big fireplaces and great view onto the mountains. Apparently the whole lodge can be rented out (there are three bedroms) - and I was told that companys have held special event dinners and even some weddings.

I had a chance to go up into the Big Horn National Forest (the forest is the Hideout's backyard! - how cool is that!) Everyone told me that its much prettier in the spring when everything was green - but I thought that even in the winter it was amazing - so there just isn't a bad time of year to go! (Well, I wasn't a fan of 14F but thankfully it warmed back up) There were some repeat guests visiting while I was there and it was great to talk with them in the evenings. I really can't wait to go back in the spring and see the Hideout in green and not white!

I think the part I loved the most was the service - everyone was so nice. Farrah was great to talk to when I had any questions or wanted recomendations. The wranglers, Shawn and Stewart, were also super nice and made me feel so comfortable being around horses and the barn. They were very patient and good at explaining what was happening. They were both also super knowledgeable on the area. Chris, the chef, was also very awesome about making sure that I was taken care of. I came down late for breakfast one morning and he had no problems with getting some food out for me - I was impressed.

I would absolutly go back - and want to do a trip with a bunch of friends - there is a little something for everyone and I think it would be a great trip to 'bond' and re-connect. I recommend this for anyone - it was a great trip.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ATravelGirlFlorida
texas
Reviewed 24 September 2008

I have gone to the Hideout 4 times and going back again next summer with my nephew for a 5th time next summer 2009.

You ar treated like royality. The staff is top notch and the wranglers make sure your trip is a safe trip.

The horses are matched up to you perfect and the food is 4 star.
The cabins have the best view of the Big Horns.

If you are looking for a working vacation and one you will talk about until the next time you go back this is the place to go.

Don't look anywhere else just get on their website and make you reservations.

planocowgirl

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not one thing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank planocowgirl
Leefdaal
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We were blessed with a wonderful stay at the Flitner Ranch. A green oasis was waiting for us after driving through the red rock area. A warm welcome from the belgian owners made us feel at home instantaneously. A nice luxury cabin, superb European haute cuisine food, friendly and professional staff and a personal treatment were the ingredients for this perfect stay. During the day we experienced well-organised stunning outdoor activities always guided by professional people. As a non-experienced horse rider I made it through a 2-day horse trip together my husband, 2 daughters and wrangler Jared. It was a trip to remember. Nice horses, good guidance, wonderful scenery and again this personal treatment.
With a nice dinner, good wines and beer and interesting conversations the evenings flew by.
We left with pain in the heart but with a promise to the owners and to ourselves: we'll be back.
from family Verbraeken - Belgium

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 June 2008

Both of the prior reviews capture this place well. I had not been on a horse in 30 years, yet in two days felt very confident and comfortable. The place is gorgeous and staff is incredible. You feel like family. I'm not a "joiner," and usually don't like that kind of thing but I felt very comfortable here. Let me just do some bullet points here:

- crowd: a mix of folks from 30-60 yrs old. June is quite busy and the place was full, meaning 25 people. Mostly married couples, a couple families. Really only appropriate for older children. We were a same sex couple but felt quite welcome. Most were from Midwest, East Coast, or South. One fun couple from England.

- food. Incredible. Lots of beef, but they ask you dietary things ahead of time. Dinners are together at big tables but individual meals, not familly style. Usually a very nice salad, a great entree, and a simple dessert. Had two outdoor bbqs with grilled steak, shrimp, scallops, etc. Lunches are often sandwiches on the go, because you're on horseback. Breakfasts are hearty - eggs, meats, cereals, etc. Standard fare but really good and fresh.

- activities. At cocktail hour, they ask you what you want to do the next day and have several options. Usually all day cattle drives/rides, all-day rides, or two half day rides. We did a variety of things....even offered trap shooting one afternoon and all-day branding, which was fascinating. Some folks took a day and went into Cody to the museum or rodeo. It's essentially horse camp for adults but a really high-end one, coupled with real-life Cowboy adventures. Oh, and one night is reserved for an evening of cowboy songs.

- accommodations: casitas or cabins. Very comfy. Little cell phone coverage but wifi in the cabins. fridges with complimentary soda, beer, and water. Front porches with chairs to look over the grounds.

- misc. It can be quite rigorous to ride all day but they match riders to horses extremely well. They treat their animals well and safety is #1. They want you to be happy and the wranglers are terrific. You learn a LOT about horses, the Western way of life, scenery, etc. The scenery is stunning and so different in each direction. It's just a very special place, and you will love it.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kca1988
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shell
Greybull Motel
#1 of 2 in Greybull
Sage Motel
Sage Motel
#4 of 5 in Greybull

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!