“Third Visit and it just keeps getting better!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shell
The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch
EHT, NJ
“Third Visit and it just keeps getting better!”
Reviewed 29 October 2009

This was the third trip to the Hideout for my husband and me and each time it keeps getting better - if that's possible. The owners, David and Paula, and the general manager and his wife, Peter and Marijn, couldn't do a better job of making each and every guest feel welcome. I can only echo what everyone else says about the scenery and riding. Truly awesome! You can do as much or as little riding as you want and the wranglers are the best. Chef Chris can accommodate just about any dietary restrictions and he does it with a smile. His food is incredible.

We always stay in a casita rather than a cabin because it has a washer and dryer, which for me is a huge plus (less clothes to bring). The only negative, and it is a very tiny, tiny one, is that the casitas could be updated a little. The Hideout is the best vacation we have ever taken and we will continue to go every year. I'm already looking forward to 2010!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
England
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I read the other reviews and thought the Hideout cannot be that good..... but it is!

You ride through spectacular scenery with cowboy/cowgirl guides who are obviously very knowledgable and enthusiastic about what they do. I had limited riding experience but the Hideout seems to cater for all levels of experience and ability so I never felt under pressure to keep up or go places I did not feel comfortable with. There was a choice of full day rides either herding cows or exploring the mountains or half day rides if you felt a bit less energetic.

The quality of the food and accommodation was the icing on the cake. Only one very minor criticism is that the rooms only have showers. A bath after a day in the saddle would have been good.

The Hideout is certainly not cheap but I suppose quality never is. Overall I was so impressed that I am planning to go back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Washington DC
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I think my caption says it all. I feel so empowered here and the luxury is unbeatable!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 4 September 2009

My only regret was leaving. I have never felt so connected with a place before like I did at Paula and David’s ranch who are both such sweethearts and make you feel so very welcome. I think that’s the magic of the hideout…you feel like you’ve known everyone for ages and you become part of an extended family. Everyone and I truly mean everyone is super nice and amazing!

Before arriving at the ranch, I was very nervous about riding. I had a fear of horses and was really scared of being thrown off but the horses are so gentle and there really is nothing to be scared of. The wranglers do an amazing job with them and it shows in the way every horse acts. So if you are a beginner, you will do just fine. If I can do it… :)
Stewart and Shawn were the wranglers that I went on the beautiful rides with and they are awesome. They really know their stuff which in turn makes you feel safe with them by your side. Also, they did not make me feel like a weak link at all even though I was the one holding everyone else back which really says a lot about them.

I truly recommend the hideout for anyone who is looking for a home away from home. The food is absolutely delicious (coming from a picky eater), the views are amazing, the rides and the horses even more so and everyone that is a part of the ranch makes it extra special.

And I really have to comment on the scenery some more. It is stunningly beautiful. I realized that no skyscraper in nyc can compete with the beauty of the mountains. The view from my beautiful cabin and porch left me breathless every time I looked (and that doesn’t happen often ) haha

I can’t wait to go back…

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank angia85
London, UK
Reviewed 8 July 2009

This is a great working ranch. You really feel a part of the family and very involved in the work that the ranch does. We had some fantastic rides and views were stunning. The setting at the foot of the bighorn mountains is breathtaking. The food was amazing, Chris really produced some great dishes.
We had dinner one evening at Trapper Creek Lodge which is lovely too.
I would highly recommend the ranch to anyone who likes activity holidays, or just wants to relax and admire a working ranch in the west.
Thank you Hideout for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G11
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I just spent six nights at The Hideout and am still in awe of this facility and the operation. Without a doubt, this was the best vacation ever.

The Hideout is a true working cattle ranch where they encourage the guests to be as involved as they want to be in the ranch operations. Three of my days were spent moving cattle across various types of terrain on horseback including up a mountain. Morning, afternoon, all day rides and cattle work are all offered as options so you can ride as little or as much as you want. Our group had a broad cross section of experienced riders and guest who had never been on horseback. The staff responds to the individual needs of each guest to ensure they are comfortable with their riding choices.

Lessons on natural horsemanship and riding are also offered. The staff is very competent and patience trainers in both of these areas. Although I did not pursue it, there are numerous other options for daily activities besides horseback riding.

The food is another outstanding quality. Three meals a day in the lodge and none of them were lacking in any aspect.

There is no question that I will be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank TApfelbeck
georgetown, ky
Reviewed 10 June 2009

we have had the pleasure of going to a number of different guest ranches. the hideout provides the best of all worlds. the owners and those they employ make you feel part of the family. their love of the area is contagious. their horsemanship and care for the horses sets them apart. the variety of rides is second to none and they are very accomodating to your wishes. everyone is made to feel comfortable no matter their level of riding experience. the food is delightful and the accomodations are lovely and spotless. it is a wonderful place to arrive and a very difficult place to leave.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shell
Greybull Motel
#1 of 2 in Greybull
Elk View Inn
Elk View Inn
#2 of 4 in Dayton

Been to The Hideout Lodge & Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!