“Nice modern oasis in historic Sheridan”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Sheridan
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Though we often prefer to stay in historic hotels when we are in historic areas, this hotel beckoned after days on the road with all its modern amenities. well-appointed, free wi-fi, wonderful breakfast, helpful staff -- we found just the respite from the road we were looking for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2014

6 months ago, I made a reservation with this establishment for 5 nights. I called every couple months after that to confirm this reservation. I also called the day before. I was told the reservation was still there and they also confirmed that we were getting government rate which was $99 per night. On June 18 at 8:39 am my cell phone received a 12 second message from the manager of this hotel, Amina Khan. She said she had cancelled our reservation as they had overbooked the hotel. I did not have phone reception when she left the message as we were traveling. Once I got reception, I received the voice mail she left at 10:23 am. We were shocked. How could she cancel our reservation? We were one of the reasons her hotel was booked that day and the rest of the week. We had our room there. They had our VISA card numbers and had given us a confirmation number. How could they do this? The entire town was booked. There were several events occurring in Sheridan on that same weekend. I called her back and asked how she could cancel. We had a reservation, she couldn't just take it away. We were driving there and had no where to stay. We would have to sleep in our mini van with 3 kids, parked on the street. We felt victimized and powerless to do anything. She would not let me say much but kept interrupting and hanging up on me. She hung up on me 3 times. She would not give me her full name. She said she would call the police if I bothered her. I have a right to be heard. How can she throw her customers under the bus like that? We will NEVER stay at any Wingate hotel again and they were our main hotel we use. So much for being reward club members with them. I called her again and a different person answered the phone. She found our reservation in the system and said the manager had cancelled it. I asked how she could do that. She said they were overbooked. I said that was their problem, not mine. She said if they got any cancellations, they could let me know but it would be at the $199 per night rate. What?! So that is what this is about. This manager looked at her appointments for that day and cancelled us because we were getting the government discount. She wasn't going to make as much money off of us so she booked additional guests at the $199 rate. Interestingly, the rate was $139 without the government rate when I called to confirm. I asked this girl how to spell the manager's name and this is how I was able to find out her name. I also asked this employee to give me phone numbers for other hotels in the area as I had no way of getting them. She gave me some numbers and I began calling. I was able to get into the Hampton Inn for one night at a cost of $159 per night. At this time, I do not know what we are going to do the other nights. The town was booked. I called her hotel again at 4:30 pm to find out who her supervisor was so I could contact him/her. The desk clerk transferred me to her. She asked who I was. I told her my name and asked who her supervisor was. She refused to give me a supervisor's name. She said, "I'm the manager." I told her, "I know you are the manager but you have to have a supervisor unless you own Windham hotels." She said, "You don't know that I don't own them." I then asked her what company owned her hotel. She said it was *** Inn and she gave me the address of her hotel. I told her that was the address for her hotel. She wouldn't respond and was loud and aggressive. She hung up on me AGAIN. To make matters worse, this manager never apologized. Cancelling someone's reservation is unethical and maybe even illegal. We were guaranteed a room all week. Our trip was ruined.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jeannette D
Reviewed 17 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We specifically inquired about, and requested a "handicapped" room with a zero barrier (wheel in) shower and were told that it was secured only to be told at check in that "that room weas already taken". Then the clerk said they told that to the person who made the reservation!

To top the weekend off they didn't clean the room!

Find another place!

3  Thank Gimp56
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel for a while. The facility itself is ok, but they're transitioning from Wingate to Comfort Inn, and much of their customer service is pretty poor right now. Our 7/14 check-in wasn't smooth or welcoming. When I made reservations at 3p, no one mentioned the transition in process, so when we arrived in Sheridan at 6p it caused us extra driving around and finally a call to find the hotel (Wingate signs were already replaced with Comfort Inn signs... that would've been nice to know!). Others arriving when we did mentioned having the same confusion. Young male desk clerk was flippant and rude to several of us and at one point picked up a ringing phone and immediately hung it back up. He said he'd added my Rewards# when checking me in but he didn't so had to spend extra time doing this at checkout. He's clearly over his head, needs training and a backup/mentor. I suspect his personality isn't right for this job and he won't last long. Desk help at checkout 7/15 were cheerful, helpful, and courteous. Rooms were clean but not as nice as other Wingates I've stayed at (no pillowtop mattresses) so would not rate hotel as a good value. Did not use pool or other amenities. Breakfast food was typical continental. Young lady in charge of that area needs training too. She wasn't that busy (hung around check-in desk talking and swinging a towel), but the coffee ran out for awhile and all the garbage cans were full and people were piling garbage on top. At one point she backed up to a corner in the eating area and moved her back up and down, scratching her back like a bear. Unbelievable - wished I could've posted a few pics so her mgmt could see what they're paying for!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dkatx84
Reviewed 8 July 2014

First impression was that this was a nice hotel. Lobby and room were clean, floor in dining area was being redone so some construction but not a big inconvenience. Room was clean, bed and pillows were comfortable. Towels both in the room and at the pool had ragged edges and seemed old. Problems started right away with key card not working for our room, the outside door, or the pool area. Had to return to front desk several times regarding this issue. Kind of irritating. Next, we found that the whirlpool wouldn't "whirl". Another trip to the front desk with no resolution. Again, irritating. Then found the pop machine not even plugged in. You guessed it, a third trip to the front desk, this time with issue resolved, meaning he moved the pop machine out and plugged it in. Seemed weird, and definitely irritating. Breakfast seemed ok, just grabbed coffee and a muffin. Overall, an okay hotel for a night but expected a little more.

2  Thank plfco